Sergio Mendes - Timeless ??

Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody else heard about this album? Well, I know somebody around here has, a track from it called "The Frog" was posted on here about a month ago, but it was just posted as a Q-Tip track I think. Well tonight I ran across a copy of this Sergio Mendes album online and it just surprised me to see all the people guesting on it. It has Will.I.Am (who produces it, I think), the BEPs, Stevie Wonder, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, John Legend, India.Arie, Justin Timberlake, Pharoahe Monche, Chalie 2na... It's like the Santana method of career revival, I guess. Anyhow, was just surprised to see this since I just think of Sergio Mendes as the guy whose albums I have to sift through at every Goodwill and Salvation Army I've ever gone to looking for records. Listened to a few tracks and...well, it's okay, but it really does sound like an updated version of his music from 40 years ago. It's okay but very mellow and smooth with that Brazilian flair. I suppose those into the bossa nova thing would like it more than I do since I've never been real huge into the bossa.

Comments

• Oh yeah, if anybody's at all interested in this they actually have a website set up for it:

http://www.sergiomendestimeless.com/

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've heard one track and didn't like it. I just think it's sad that old, legendary artists (often those with more to lean on than Sergio, too) need to gain credibility by working with young artists, instead of focusing on what they do best (providing they've still got it). If old artists can't bring it, then they should retire. But if they CAN, the youth should recognize,

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    it's sad that old, legendary artists (often those with more to lean on than Sergio, too) need to gain credibility[/b] by working with young artists

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm trying to think of one of these collaboration albums that has actually been any good but I'm having trouble. From a label marketing point of view, take one old legend and 15 new collaborating artists and you have 16 'brand rallying points' across which you can sell your album. Marketeerwankspeakinexcelsis.

• I'm trying to think of one of these collaboration albums that has actually been any good but I'm having trouble. From a label marketing point of view, take one old legend and 15 new collaborating artists and you have 16 'brand rallying points' across which you can sell your album. Marketeerwankspeakinexcelsis.

You know, I think the Santana one worked fairly well. I wasn't a fan of it really and the concept of it seemed kind of sad and desperate, but musically it still basically sounded like Santana. Santana's band constantly changed over the years anyhow and the one constant was Santana's guitar and singing so having guest rock musicians on the tracks didn't alter the sound of things too terribly much. Pairing up guys like Sergio Mendes with rappers? I dunno about that.

The Herbie Hancock album that came out last year just sounded so dreadful in concept based on the guests on it that I've never found the heart to even give it a sampling, I'm afraid it might be every bit as bad as I imagine it could be.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Have you guys heard that sly & the family stone collaboration ? I saw it for sale at Starbucks and figured it's got to be great if they are selling it. Because when I think great music, Starbucks is the first thing that comes to mind (besides the strut). I forget all the colloborators on that album but it was pretty bad. I remember only liking one track and that was the moby one. These comps always look good on paper but rarely live up to it's promise. I think the artists half ass it (i.e. - mail it in).

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm trying to think of one of these collaboration albums that has actually been any good but I'm having trouble. From a label marketing point of view, take one old legend and 15 new collaborating artists and you have 16 'brand rallying points' across which you can sell your album. Marketeerwankspeakinexcelsis.

You know, I think the Santana one worked fairly well. I wasn't a fan of it really and the concept of it seemed kind of sad and desperate, but musically it still basically sounded like Santana. Santana's band constantly changed over the years anyhow and the one constant was Santana's guitar and singing so having guest rock musicians on the tracks didn't alter the sound of things too terribly much. Pairing up guys like Sergio Mendes with rappers? I dunno about that.

The Herbie Hancock album that came out last year just sounded so dreadful in concept based on the guests on it that I've never found the heart to even give it a sampling, I'm afraid it might be every bit as bad as I imagine it could be.

Didn't hear the Santana one but what you wrote makes sense. I reluctantly gave up on Herbie after his Dis is Da Drum LP which probably came out around 10 years ago. I've dipped into stuff he's done since but haven't heard much that's good apart from a couple of tracks on Future 2 Future. Last year's Possibilities was indeed terrible.

And yeah, I agree that the music biz idea that you update anything by adding a rapper is a fundamentally amusing but shit concept.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    And yeah, I agree that the music biz idea that you update anything by adding a rapper is a fundamentally amusing but shit concept.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Updated "Mas Que Nada" with Will.I.Am rapping

"The Frog" and that track with Ms Badu are nice though.

The first track on the last Herbie Hancock is real good, a funky collaboration with John Mayer.

• I just got this in my inbox, but yousendit isn't working:

Sergio Mendes - "Yes Yes Y'all" with Black Thought of the Roots, Chali 2na of Jurassic 5, and Debi Nova and will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas.

Let's see if Faux hates this more than he hated this:

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I just got this in my inbox, but yousendit isn't working:

Sergio Mendes - "Yes Yes Y'all" with Black Thought of the Roots, Chali 2na of Jurassic 5, and Debi Nova and will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas.

How you can hate on that LP? It's rare, expensive, and seriously

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I am feeling the concept of this album: live recording, old-school cover art, slim CD jacket and equally slim price. I picked the album up and looked at it yesterday at Best Buy.

I have no intention of listening to it, though I can see John Mayer putting out something pretty good sometime in the next five years.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

I am feeling the concept of this album: live recording, old-school cover art, slim CD jacket and equally slim price. I picked the album up and looked at it yesterday at Best Buy.

I have no intention of listening to it, though I can see John Mayer putting out something pretty good sometime in the next five years.

It is a seriously GREAT album. Forget about his earlier releases...

• I just got this in my inbox, but yousendit isn't working:

How you can hate on that LP? It's rare, expensive, and seriously

that LP is about as rare as this one

How is the LP Yemele, it looks like it has som good songs on it.