NEW CAT POWER

13»

Comments

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I've enjoyed re-reading this thread. I remember enjoying Free when it came out- my girlfriend at the time was a big fan.
    Anyway I have a funny(?) story about her:
    Some friends hung out with her a bit when she toured Australia in the early 2000's. Apparently she was pretty strung out on painkillers at the time. They told me she shat in the hotel pool and thought it was hilarious. raw!

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    seen her play a few times, an ex gf was a massive fan.

it was always an awful experience. she usually got drunk and rolled around the floor, or vomited red wine over a piano, or something like that.

it strikes me that her fanbase is filled with people who like artists to appear all tortured and needy. "yeah look at me i'm like nina simone or an old jazz singer man i'm all high and drunk and emotional and i can barely finish my songs." its pathetic.

i don't think i could ever listen to her records just because of how insufferable her stage show is, though i concur her recorded output is high quality, i just can't stand her.

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    I don't know about that, you're making it sound like a pretentious sort of thing. I think she mostly got drunk because she was shy. I can agree that her shows generally weren't very professional and all but when she wasn't drunk I think she managed to create a pretty close, humane atmosphere with the crowd. I think that's why most people who liked the shows liked them, because of the open touch to them, not necessarily because they were fun.

Besides, some of her performances were pretty alright, even from a normal perspective.

Then again, I'm not sure whether that proves your point or mine.

Oh and, how do I make vids appear in my post? I'm new here.

Well i suppose it depends what shows you saw, i saw her in europe where she gets additional fawning that she probably doesn't get at home, and her schtick struck me as self-indulgent. i can't lie that additional hating-my-ex-gfs-music-taste may factor in my take on ms cat. there are platinum selling artists with serious drug, drink and confidence problems that still manage to hold it down for say, 2 hours on an arena stage. the point is that her management probably considers the stage breakdowns a major selling point.

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    Uh yea... guess now is a good time to mention I've never actually *seen* any of her shows from this period, heh. I was more into stuff like watching Nickelodeon all day and going to bed before midnight so the ghosts couldn't catch me off guard at that time (I'm 17). To be honest I'm just judging from bootleg videos and comments. But still, if it's possible, I feel pretty sure of my argument.

i don't doubt your convictions and welcome to the board! my very biased perspective is based both on the actual live experience (which was probably her at her most severe) and some casual interaction with the artist, hence i may be out of date. she was really, really fucking crap tho, you can trust me on that.

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    I'll just take your word for it. And thanks for the welcome, I think I'll like this place

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Swpp said:
    I don't know about that, you're making it sound like a pretentious sort of thing. I think she mostly got drunk because she was shy. I can agree that her shows generally weren't very professional and all but when she wasn't drunk I think she managed to create a pretty close, humane atmosphere with the crowd. I think that's why most people who liked the shows liked them, because of the open touch to them, not necessarily because they were fun.

Besides, some of her performances were pretty alright, even from a normal perspective.

Then again, I'm not sure whether that proves your point or mine.

Oh and, how do I make vids appear in my post? I'm new here.

Embed link, and welcome to the board.

I will always adore Moon Pix. Looking forward to hearing her new work.

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    damn this is some cyber resurrection shit

and i thought rape donkeys might still be around....

[ps - moon pix is tops, plus a certain Peel sessions version of good woman that's hard to find]

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

[ps - moon pix is tops, plus a certain Peel sessions version of good woman that's hard to find]

Do I know you?! LOCATION?

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts

To be perfectly frank I think Moon Pix might just be my favorite album of all time, it's probably been my top of the month album for a year now. Don't get me wrong though, I like other music too, I promise.

Are you sure it's from a peel session by the way? I've got both peel sessions plus two more BBC ones but as far as I'm concerned none of them include Good Woman. BBC doesn't mention it either.

Peel Session - 2003
    Peel Session - 2000

And thanks for the help with embedding, Elise.

• Gee - I didn't realize the crying and walking off stage was such a schtick!

I had a friend who was a fan in late 90's. I was NOT a fan, but agreed to accompany her to a show in NY to be agreeable.

I don't thing she even played a whole song before getting upset and walking off stage. And the audience didn't seem to be doing anything except waiting for her to play. I marched with my friend to the door for a refund, which they provided.

Does she behave any better now that she's in AA or some shit? Oy, what a narcissist!

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    Swpp said:
    iDOX said:

Are you sure it's from a peel session by the way? I've got both peel sessions plus two more BBC ones but as far as I'm concerned none of them include Good Woman. BBC doesn't mention it either.

Peel Session - 2003
    Peel Session - 2000

And thanks for the help with embedding, Elise.
    yeah

hard to find, like i said. it was a mostly-covers performance, so around that time. i remember there was even a missy elliot cover, but (thankfully) that didn't go very far. i haven' t been able to find it either, but this really sweet girl in Toronto put me on to it. i heard all the mp3s and saw all the file names myself...

(moon pix and the covers lp are my faves)

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    iDOX said:

hard to find, like i said. it was a mostly-covers performance, so around that time. i remember there was even a missy elliot cover, but (thankfully) that didn't go very far. i haven' t been able to find it either, but this really sweet girl in Toronto put me on to it. i heard all the mp3s and saw all the file names myself...

(moon pix and the covers lp are my faves)

Ah, cool! Sorry for doubting you. If you ever come across it again I suppose it wouldn't be too much to ask for you to pm me?

I think I prefer What Would the Community Think over The Covers Record, though. Even if it's kind of a tie between the songs, The Covers Record tend to feel a bit repetitive in a full listen. What Would the Community Think is more distinctive and more... elusive?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I saw her at ATP when it was on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. That show was great. None of the usual fits.

My personal take on her attitude at shows is that she's actually fairly crazy. I don't think it's for show.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Never really listened to Cat Power before - giving Moon Pix a try now.

(BTW, Swpp - V??lkommen!)

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    Mjukis said:

Someone even took the trouble of a google search I see! I suppose you don't know what your nick means though, otherwise you probably wouldn't carry it.

Thanks anyway, and tell me how you like it.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Swpp said:
    Mjukis said:

Someone even took the trouble of a google search I see! I suppose you don't know what your nick means though, otherwise you probably wouldn't carry it.

Thanks anyway, and tell me how you like it.

Sounds really good! No, I'm Swedish, and I wear my nick with pride!

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    Sounds really good! No, I'm Swedish, and I wear my nick with pride!

I'm glad you like it! Can't believe hardly anyone I meet here in Sweden does, let alone have even heard it. Great on the name too, guess that's the only way to pull it off. ;)

Here's a song most of you probably haven't heard, just to keep me from spacing out of topic I guess. It's a collaboration with Dirty Three, a really good instrumental band who's backed her quite a bit. It's pretty recent too. Well, part of the "new" at least.

And have a look at that, I even managed to embed!

• Swayze said:
    back in 1998, i wanted to buy a shirt from her, but couldn't figure out what size to get... she told me that i looked like a capricorn, to which i just turned red. then she asked me if my birthday was january 19th. it is, and she gave me the shirt for free because she guessed my birthday dead on. later on, during the show, she talked about shooting morphine, forgot all of her songs, tried to play laying on her back, left the stage to go to "the bathroom", and never came back out. RIP velvet elvis.

two years ago, i was eating breakfast at a bar that both mole and i worked at; the cyclops in belltown. i was wearing the same shirt that chan marshall gave me, in a booth with my old roomate, while a crazy looking lady in the adjacent booth to us was crying loudly into her cell phone. i couldn't tell what she was crying about, although i did my best to figure it out (i'm nosy like that), but when she got up, she turned to me, tears and all, and said... "i gave you that", and left. i didn't even recognize her.

I just did a dramatic reading of this story at work.

One of my favorite music stories I've ever heard.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    CBear said:
    My personal take on her attitude at shows is that she's actually fairly crazy. I don't think it's for show.

I know several people who know her well, including one who was in her band for a while (RIP). it's not an act. She's a really sweet person with some genuine issues, and probably would have been better off never becoming famous.