NEW CAT POWER

Comments

• Damn, I clicked on the thread thinkin' it was all about:

Anyways... I'll have to give it a listen.

Best shit ever.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I don't care what she looks like, who she hangs out with, etc...

youre on the wrong messageboard then

soulstrut formula for taste

image + skintone = quality of music

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Leave that shit to the Tigerbeat crowd.
    what's tigerbeat? isn't that the kid's pop-culture rag?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

i have better taste than you
    D4L is interesting

this says it all

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Damn, I clicked on the thread thinkin' it was all about:

Anyways... I'll have to give it a listen.

sayin tho.........I don't even know who cat power is.

• On a 5th listen I'll go out on a limb and say it's actually pretty amazing. Very well produced also.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I picked the album up yesterday and on cursory first listen it sounds good but the funny thing is I had no idea the Hi rhythm section played on it.

that is what i was saying. people are hyping this up like it was a return to her country-soul roots - just like that frank black record from last year. however, it doesnt seem any more or less soulish than anything else on the CMJ chart. sure, the hi rhythm section is on it, but thats a tribute to their versatility, not a testimony to chan marshall's soul.

• If this is out I'm going to the store right now. To me she's one of the only artists working right now who's worth a damn.

I don't fuck with live performances so I don't really care about her onstage antics, and if you think people (only) like her because she's emotionally unstable, you need to listen to her music (or just shut the fuck up New York).

• If this is out I'm going to the store right now. To me she's one of the only artists working right now who's worth a damn.

I don't fuck with live performances so I don't really care about her onstage antics, and if you think people (only) like her because she's emotionally unstable, you need to listen to her music (or just shut the fuck up New York).
    Pressed on nice vinyl too - you won't be sorry.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I enjoyed a couple of tracks from Free. Enough for me to buy the record. I haven't checked anything else by her (I only bought the album on the strength of the single 'Free'). Will this new one be in my vein?

PS - Magic, she needs a record nerd to console her. You are disconnected from ladies street.

PS - Magic, she needs a record nerd to console her. You are disconnected from ladies street.
    so disconnected that i've got the health clinic on speed dial...

• I picked the album up yesterday and on cursory first listen it sounds good but the funny thing is I had no idea the Hi rhythm section played on it.

that is what i was saying. people are hyping this up like it was a return to her country-soul roots - just like that frank black record from last year. however, it doesnt seem any more or less soulish than anything else on the CMJ chart. sure, the hi rhythm section is on it, but thats a tribute to their versatility, not a testimony to chan marshall's soul.

Well, I am not aware of her having country-soul roots. Nothing she's done in the past has been in a soul vein at all (soulful yes, soul no). As for people pre-judging the album based on the single, the weakest song on the album was included on that single for some reason. So don't let that turn you off because the rest of it is all good.

• this thread made go over to the racks and pull our play copy of it... kinda boring IMO

of this type of stuff I will take Holly Golightly anyday over Chan

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    send all promo Cat Power items to
    Adam Guzzo
    5750 E! Entertainment
    Hollywood, CA

thnaks paece

send all promo Cat Power used condoms and dirty diapers items to
    Adam Guzzo
    5750 E! Entertainment
    Hollywood, CA

thnaks paece
    gross dood... what are you planning on doing!?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Adam Guzzo
    5750 E! Entertainment
    Hollywood, CA

thnaks paece

making television magic

Adam Guzzo
    5750 E! Entertainment
    Hollywood, CA

thnaks paece

making television magic
    what about with the diapers and stuff? i'm fleecing the timeclock here at work, avoiding the fucked up drive home. it takes me 15mins sometimes, geesh! on my bike.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i'm fleecing the timeclock here at work, avoiding the fucked up drive home. it takes me 15mins sometimes, geesh! on my bike.

if Rocco hears about this he'll be plenty angry.

shit 15 minutes to gt home? I get out of work between 6 & 7 daily.

I usually get home around 9:30

GIVE ME SPAZZY MATHCORE DIAPERS

what about with the diapers and stuff? i'm fleecing the timeclock here at work, avoiding the fucked up drive home. it takes me 15mins sometimes, geesh! on my bike.
    Dude, peep the math:

Bike + wireless + laptop + helmet

=
    "fuck!... i forgot my helmet."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I like Cat Power. My wife does not. Too each his/her own.

=

"fuck!... i forgot my helmet."

= PHD[/b] IN PHYSICS

• I met her once, and she was a nice person, but her singing voice is irritating. Moonpix, I think is her best if there is such a thing.

I picked the album up yesterday and on cursory first listen it sounds good but the funny thing is I had no idea the Hi rhythm section played on it.

Well, I am not aware of her having country-soul roots.

Well, neither was I, until I read this quote in Ice magazine from her producer, Stuart Sikes:

"She talked about (soul music). These were people she really looked up to, like Otis Redding and Al Green, and that's most of the music she listens to." [/b]

So, this is why I'm sorta looking at it from a soul perspective, even though I know good and well that:

Nothing she's done in the past has been in a soul vein at all (soulful yes, soul no).

I'll leave that "soulful yes" bit up to her real fans. I'll admit to liking The Greatest, but I doubt if I'm gonna hunt down her back catalogue.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ok so i listened to cat power for the first time this week while ive been sick and moon pix is definitely my shit. any other albums to recommend or is this the top notch shit?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I met her once, and she was a nice person, but her singing voice is irritating. Moonpix, I think is her best if there is such a thing.

Where do you work?

• listen to a holly golightly LP or her track "there is an end" that she did with the greenhornes and you will forget about this over hyped cat power stuff.

listen to a holly golightly LP or her track "there is an end" that she did with the greenhornes and you will forget about this over hyped cat power stuff.

yeah, an eclectic garage-based artist (holly) beats a weepy singer-songwriter (cat) any day of the week.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    RIP velvet elvis.

img src="]
    savannah??
    [img]http://www.markadavis.com/VelvetElvis.jpg" alt="" />

• SwppSwpp 11 Posts
    Big bump but, have you heard the new songs?

I mainly listen to her earlier records, Moon Pix is sublime! I can't say I was impressed by The Greatest and Jukebox though but there's been some new songs unveiled lately which I kinda like. They don't really par up with the earlier stuff but it's still pretty good.

Monster

Cherokee

Ruin

Kinda funny though, I have a bootleg from around '04 I think. In the middle of the show she goes on and on about a band called "sittin' on a ruin" with a record called "sittin' on a ruin" where all the songs were called "sittin' on a ruin" and all the lyrics were "sittin' on a ruin". Supposedly, you could download it from a website called www.sittingonaruin.com but if that ever really was up, it isn't anymore. She also mentions something about Britney Spears and Bush dropping acid but I can't really remember. Anyway, this might just be the background story to the last song up there, in some way or the another.