NEW CAT POWER

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I normally wouldn't post any indie rock records on this board but this new Cat power record has got Hi records rhythm section on it, including Mabon "Teenie" Hodges on guitar, his brother Leroy "Flick" Hodges on bass, and Steve Potts on drums. Is this the new Dusty in Memphis or the next Starbucks endorsed record? Anyone hear this?plus, she's pretty cute...

Comments

• garbage

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    word?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I normally wouldn't post any indie rock records on this board
    but this new Cat power record has got Hi records rhythm section on it, including Mabon "Teenie" Hodges on guitar, his brother Leroy "Flick" Hodges on bass, and Steve Potts on drums.

Are the classic Hi recordings no longer available? Because the only way I can see ever wanting to mess with something like this is if they had been erased from existence entirely.

• she once left the stage in the middle of a gig crying here in Memphis because folks were talking while she was playing. surprised she ever came back here.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    plus, she's pretty cute...

damn straight

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    she once left the stage in the middle of a gig crying here in Memphis because folks were talking while she was playing.

she does that all the time. i am surprised that people still pay to see her

• shit is straight up post-adolescent road trip movie music
    mom in the back seat

and i love her first 3 records and the runt shit

Are the classic Hi recordings no longer available? Because the only way I can see ever wanting to mess with something like this is if they had been erased from existence entirely.

I feel ya - but I've dug some cat power songs on her own. this could probably be a disaster - but i was hoping for something unique and interesting...i might be kidding myself.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    she once left the stage in the middle of a gig crying here in Memphis because folks were talking while she was playing. surprised she ever came back here.

girlfriend material!

• girlfriend material!

That's funny...

She is not the worst artist I've ever heard. I have a couple of her records, and they get regular listens.
    Her cover of "Sea Of Love," is great.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts

the fact that i think this record ain't that great doesn't take away from my belief that the above statement is totally full of shit.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i gave up on this chick somewhere back around moon pix..

• She is not the worst artist I've ever heard.

I'm sold!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    why does she even bother to tour? That is what I don't understand w/ this girl....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    back in 1998, i wanted to buy a shirt from her, but couldn't figure out what size to get... she told me that i looked like a capricorn, to which i just turned red. then she asked me if my birthday was january 19th. it is, and she gave me the shirt for free because she guessed my birthday dead on. later on, during the show, she talked about shooting morphine, forgot all of her songs, tried to play laying on her back, left the stage to go to "the bathroom", and never came back out. RIP velvet elvis.

two years ago, i was eating breakfast at a bar that both mole and i worked at; the cyclops in belltown. i was wearing the same shirt that chan marshall gave me, in a booth with my old roomate, while a crazy looking lady in the adjacent booth to us was crying loudly into her cell phone. i couldn't tell what she was crying about, although i did my best to figure it out (i'm nosy like that), but when she got up, she turned to me, tears and all, and said... "i gave you that", and left. i didn't even recognize her.

two years ago... a crazy looking lady i

she hit the wall that fast?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I normally wouldn't post any indie rock records on this board but this new Cat power record has got Hi records rhythm section on it

If I didn't know that, I wouldn't have guessed (although Teenie's guitar almost gives it away).

Is this the new Dusty in Memphis or the next Starbucks endorsed record? Anyone hear this?

Well, if you're looking for the white Ann Peebles, Cat Power isn't the one, but it's a nice album, considering I'm not normally a fan of her music. A "Starbucks" record? Not quite. This doesn't remind me of Norah Jones as much as it does Shelby Lynne.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    back in 1998, i wanted to buy a shirt from her, but couldn't figure out what size to get... she told me that i looked like a capricorn, to which i just turned red. then she asked me if my birthday was january 19th. it is, and she gave me the shirt for free because she guessed my birthday dead on. later on, during the show, she talked about shooting morphine, forgot all of her songs, tried to play laying on her back, left the stage to go to "the bathroom", and never came back out. RIP velvet elvis.

two years ago, i was eating breakfast at a bar that both mole and i worked at; the cyclops in belltown. i was wearing the same shirt that chan marshall gave me, in a booth with my old roomate, while a crazy looking lady in the adjacent booth to us was crying loudly into her cell phone. i couldn't tell what she was crying about, although i did my best to figure it out (i'm nosy like that), but when she got up, she turned to me, tears and all, and said... "i gave you that", and left. i didn't even recognize her.

HOLYCOW

great story

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    she let me record her 1/3/2000 show directly off the boards at the crocodile cafe, but when i sent my buddy to go flip the tape, he just flipped it over and didn't press record... so i have half a live show with her and the drummer from dirty three, and smog's guitar player. the recording is awesome, if anyone wants me to make a soundfile of that shit, lemme know. it might take a minute due to the fact that i no longer have a cassette deck, but i'm sure i could dig one up.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    she let me record her 1/3/2000 show directly off the boards at the crocodile cafe, but when i sent my buddy to go flip the tape, he just flipped it over and didn't press record... so i have half a live show with her and the drummer from dirty three, and smog's guitar player. the recording is awesome, if anyone wants me to make a soundfile of that shit, lemme know. it might take a minute due to the fact that i no longer have a cassette deck, but i'm sure i could dig one up.

the drummer from the dirty three is fucking awesome... what's up with this chick (who i think is pretty fucking wack) getting all these good musicians to play with her? maybe i'm missing something...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    she once left the stage in the middle of a gig crying here in Memphis because folks were talking while she was playing. surprised she ever came back here.

She did that in Austin too....must be her "gimmick"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the drummer from the dirty three is fucking awesome... what's up with this chick (who i think is pretty fucking wack) getting all these good musicians to play with her? maybe i'm missing something...

Check above... being "cute" and "mysterious" goes a long way, even with dissappointed fans

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so NY folks on here don't like her...big surprise

She is known to cry quite a bit and I've been to shows where the audience taunted her just in the hopes she would tear up.

I bought the 45 for the title song "The Greaatest" and I think its a beautiful track. The melody sounds a whole lot like moon river. Reminded me of a sexy female Morrissey type of deal

• i like her
    this album is not good
    you bought the 45 because it was a dollar
    shut up

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i like her
    this album is not good
    you bought the 45 because it was a dollar
    shut up

89 cents. I shop smart.

The single is good.
    your opinion is based in the snobbery you bring to most, if not all, musical discussions
    D4L got a new single out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Check above... being "cute" and "mysterious" goes a long way, even with dissappointed fans

BINGO!

• The single is good.
    your opinion is based in the snobbery you bring to most, if not all, musical discussions
    D4L got a new single out.

it's not snobbery
    i have better taste than you
    D4L is interesting
    you are not

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i have better taste than you
    D4L is interesting

this says it all

• I picked the album up yesterday and on cursory first listen it sounds good but the funny thing is I had no idea the Hi rhythm section played on it. I saw this thread and I was like why are all these people talking about Catpower?
    Anyway, it seems like tons of people hate on her because of her eccentric personality or her erratic live performances. But in my opinion every album she has put out has been quality and that's all that matters to me. I don't care what she looks like, who she hangs out with, etc... Leave that shit to the Tigerbeat crowd.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Damn, I clicked on the thread thinkin' it was all about:

Anyways... I'll have to give it a listen.