Rough Around the Edges

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Hey,

I live in Milwaukee, where being rough around the edges is (unfortunately) commonplace. Anyway, anyone have stories about really inappropriate, behavior or bad etiquette, etc. Here are two off-top:

1. Two construction worker looking types walk into the Third Street Pier, a really nice restaurant here on the river (we're talking valet service, maitre'd, winelist, humidor, the whole nine) in jeans and workboots. Then, one of the guys answers his loudly-ringing cell phone screaming at the top of his lungs. These nimrods were sitting right beside me and Mrs. Stacks, freshly-dipped out for an evening on the town. Thanks guys!!!! I think these dudes ordered pizza or something weird like that.

2. In the same restaurant, same visit, a family comes in looking like they're from rural West Virginia, rather under-dressed and rough looking. They were loud and rude behaving like they were at a cookout. They had a party of at least 10, and they come in and order, guess what...Hamburgers!!!! Hamburgers from a 4-star restaurant is really rich. Wow, this could only happen in Beertown, home of high culture and refinement.

3. My mom and dad follow tipping norms from the 1960's. Now, me and wifey will take them out for dinner when they come up from North Kakalak. For some reason, they think that $5.00 is an appropriate tip for every meal, regardless of ticket amount. Me and wifey are at least 20% and up tippers, depending on the quality of service. Needless to say, I always have to go and add loot to the tip. I guess this occurs because my parents think of fine-dining as a visit to Golden Corral's buffet. Me and my older brother joke about this all the time. Geez!!!!!

Please add on, people!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    can we get a "take that shit to Red Lobster" graemlin for this thread?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Unfortunately, po' Blacks folks consider that fine-dining, especially chicken-head chicks. They brag about some knucklehead taking them to "Red Lobsta".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hey,

I live in Milwaukee, where being rough around the edges is (unfortunately) commonplace. Anyway, anyone have stories about really inappropriate, behavior or bad etiquette, etc. Here are two off-top:

1. Two construction worker looking types walk into the Third Street Pier, a really nice restaurant here on the river (we're talking valet service, maitre'd, winelist, humidor, the whole nine) in jeans and workboots. Then, the guys answers his loudly-ringing cell phone screaming at the top of his lungs. These nimrods were sitting right beside me and Mrs. Stacks, freshly-dipped out for an evening on the town. Thanks guys!!!! I think these dudes ordered pizza or something weird like that.

2. In the same restaurant, same visit, a family comes in looking like they're from rural West Virginia, rather under-dressed and rough looking. They were loud and rude behaving like they were at a cookout. They had a party of at least 10, and they come in and order, guess what...Hamburgers!!!! Hamburgers from a 4-star restaurant is really rich. Wow, this could only happen in Beertown, home of high culture and refinement.

3. My mom and dad follow tipping norms from the 1960's. Now, me and wifey will take them out for dinner when they come up from North Kakalak. For some reason, they think that $5.00 is an appropriate tip for every meal, regardless of ticket amount. Me and wifey are at least 20% and up tippers, depending on the quality of service. Needless to say, I always have to go and add loot to the tip. I guess this occurs because my parents think of fine-dining as a visit to Golden Corral's buffet. Me and my older brother joke about this all the time. Geez!!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

As a waiter I heartily co-sign this message. Most people are fine, but some people irk the shit out of me. I gotta go there in like an hour.

• I see BigStacks disconnecting himself from the streets before my eyes!

• my grandma used to roll with a bottle of furikake, not bukake, furikake is this japanese seasoning of dried up fish stuff and seaweed that we like to add to rice. yeah, so she'd roll with a bottle of that shit in her purse and would sprinkle it on fries, kfc mash potatos, rice, you name it.

one time we rolled out to some spot in the bay and she was packing a jar of homemade takuan which is that pickled yellow daikon shit that smells like ass but tastes like pussy (ok, not really, but it tastes good). anyways, my japanese friends called me takuan for a while after that.

once, she busted out cuttlefish jerky on a train ride to oregon and the whole traincar smelled like dried fish.

shit was embarrassing as a kid, but i miss her country ass. RIP grandma

Unfortunately, po' Blacks folks consider that fine-dining, especially chicken-head chicks. They brag about some knucklehead taking them to "Red Lobsta".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

hahaha!

This is a po' and middle class white folks phenomenon too.

indeed.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I see BigStacks disconnecting himself from the streets before my eyes!

I never claimed to be from the streets. I'm a child of the middle-class, but my parents came up 'po, and some of those "rough edges" remained. It's weird, but yet not so weird, you know?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I see BigStacks disconnecting himself from the streets before my eyes!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Get in the car kids... we're going to Sizzler!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

My friend's mom used to take us boys to Sizzler all the time back in the day. i thought it was the bomb yo!

My friend's mom used to take us boys to Sizzler all the time back in the day. i thought it was the bomb yo!

The thing is that those places are cool to frequent (I like "Outback" in this genre of eatery myself), but you can't bring your Sizzler game to 4- and 5-star restaurants.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• can we get a "take that shit to Red Lobster" graemlin for this thread?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

hahahaha. and olive garden...
    my ma should know better, but she's a trifling ass tipper. ten to fifteen percent tops. we always have to add to the pile without her noticing cause she will take offense that we are calling her cheap. well, yeah. she tries to flip it on us and say we dont know anything about table service.

i was the loud obnoxious person at a staff birthday party 3 weeks ago. me and a former employee swigged a big jug of wine as we biked to the restaurant. we got there and ordered more of those drinks with the volcanoes that everyone drinks out of with a straw...but for some reason i started drinking out of the one on the table, putting the whole fountain up to my lips and finishing it off and knocking shit over on the table in the process. but i was drunk so its all good......right?

• you can't bring your Sizzler game to 4- and 5-star restaurants.

Last time I was at Sizzler was when I was like 12 or something. My family was eating with this other family who had three kids. Little 9-yr. old Sherman was playing with a mayonaisse packet while his 15-yr old sister Irene tried to wrest it from him so he wouldn't make a mess. Within seconds - BLAM!!! - Mayo all over the window!!! Let me tell you, Big Stacks just about killed all of us.

And in related news (NSFW):
    http://www.uniquepeek.com/fusion_pages/index.php?page_id=72

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "THE EDGES ARE NOT GETTING ROUGHER, YOU ARE GETTING SOFTER"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

The thing is that those places are cool to frequent (I like "Outback" in this genre of eatery myself), but you can't bring your Sizzler game to 4- and 5-star restaurants.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

But, I'm bringin' my Old Country Buffet swagger anywhere I please THANK YOU.

I swear I heard my grandmother sniffle on the other end of the line when she told me her and grandad drove all the way out to Shooters and it was closed for business.

Hey,

Interesting we're talking about this, because this is a place where some folks fail on job search visits/interviews (their etiquette). Some cats eat like animals and make a bad impression, and end up not getting hired. Would you want someone representing your firm with clients at business dinners who eats like a rhinocerous? We work on this big time with students in the B-school.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

H2>LONG LIVE THE GREASY SPOON/H2>

• can we get a "take that shit to Red Lobster" graemlin for this thread?

Weird Sizzler Story:

At my old place in Santa Barbara, there was a sizzler just down the street from my woman and me. (I used to love Sizzler, it was like one of those places your mom takes you without Dad as a kid.) For a year, every time we were deciding where to eat, Id put Sizzler on the table. After a year she gave in.

The Sizzler was just down the street, but man, we must have entered into a parallel dimension on the way over. About half the tables are occupied, the other 3/8s have just piles of garbage on them. When I start looking around, I notice that every single table had at least one severly handicapped person, sometimes more. I'm talking amputees, severe down syndrome, Jerry's kids, you have it. The whole room was filled with this totally bizarre and alien type of ambience.

After visiting the salad bar and realizing the food wasn't quite what I remembered, we're sitting at the table, both kind of disgusted and freaked out. At the same instant we both share this feeling of absolute dread. We both look up at the same time, and see this 8 year old kid with blonde hair, a dirty face and a gnarly ass prosthetic leg. The prosthetic is filthy, attaches at about the thigh and doesn't have a foot or anything, just this cylynder. It give him this jerky gate. He stops at our table and just stares at us for ten seconds. We can't even look at him, but he is a portrait of misery. I say "hi buddy" under my breath and without looking at him. After a few more sencods of him staring at us, almost hovering over the table, he jerks away. That kid was freakier than the guy on the subways who was attacked with acid. We leave soon after.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    furikake

i am addicted to this. noodles and brown rice don't taste like much without it. the MSG is doing nothing for my health. a jar every two weeks or so can't be good.

H2>LONG LIVE THE GREASY SPOON
    /H2>

Damn, straight (Anne's Place and Charlie's Ribs in Akron, OH as examples), but, cats sometimes bring their finger-lickin', rib-steeze to fine-dining establishments.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hey,

1. Two construction worker looking types walk into the Third Street Pier, a really nice restaurant here on the river (we're talking valet service, maitre'd, winelist, humidor, the whole nine) in jeans and workboots. Then, one of the guys answers his loudly-ringing cell phone screaming at the top of his lungs. These nimrods were sitting right beside me and Mrs. Stacks, freshly-dipped out for an evening on the town. Thanks guys!!!! I think these dudes ordered pizza or something weird like that.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Up until about 2 months ago my daughter worked in a Sports Bar/Restaurant. The waiter that consistantly made the most $$$ was a young black college student. He claimed his secret was to be friendly, polite and refusing to wait on black customers......claimed they just didn't tip well???
    Is this a false stereotype???

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Up until about 2 months ago my daughter worked in a Sports Bar/Restaurant. The waiter that consistantly made the most $$$ was a young black college student. He claimed his secret was to be friendly, polite and refusing to wait on black customers......claimed they just didn't tip well???

The answer isn't that simple. It's largely based on class, as alluded to in my post above.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I worked at a high end restaurant on martha's vineyard and a lot of rich white people don't tip for shit.

• Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Im not sure I like any stereotypes, but there's one about how Jews are bad tippers as well. BUT ITS NOT TRUE!!! Most jews I know, overtip because of the guilt they feel because of the stereotype. Or the guilt they feel for the public conception that jews as a group are slightly financially advantaged to begin with. Then there's the guilt of tipping too much, seeing how everyone knows that its a gesture to show that jews aren't bad tippers. Jews feel a lot of guilt. Jews overtip, except for the really squirely ones whose fathers are lawyers.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I worked at a high end restaurant on martha's vineyard and a lot of rich white people don't tip for shit.

Which one? I spent a lot of time there cuz I went to high school in Falmouth.

DJ Ferrari (tips very well)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I worked at a high end restaurant on martha's vineyard and a lot of rich white people don't tip for shit.

Like Steve Martin in "My Blue Heaven" "I don't tip, I over tip"

When I was a bartender in a mostly Italian Disco tipping was a contest between these guys....like who tipped the most must have the biggest penis....sorta like our Weekend Finds" threads!!

I found that people who were once a waiter or bartender tend to be the best tippers.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    lot of rich people don't tip for shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yup. it's just a matter of being considerate of others.

but boy is it fun to read about other's misfortunes!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yup. it's just a matter of being considerate of others.

...and good manners and etiquette. I wish my brother was on the 'Strut because he has a great story about "rough around the edges" behavior at a wedding rehearsal dinner (he was serving as a groomsman in the wedding party). This bruh was marrying a White girl, and his back-wood-ass relatives were acting inappropriate at the restaurant. The mother grabbed an entire steak with her hand and placed it on her grandson's plate. This is the kind of behavior that makes proud Black folks cringe (e.g., my brother and I). The bride-to-be's family members looked on in shock.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak