Brenda and the tabulations????????

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
going throught the ole 45s and I came upon Brenda and the Tabulations with "Scuse Uz Y'all" and "A child nobody wanted" on Top and Bottom records. Looks like they are out of Philly. Never heard of em before but this 45 is prett f-ing tough. Anyone else down who could tell me a thing about them or any other 45s to check out? An LP out there? Is mine worth $$$?("Id upload a track but Im on a dial-up and it wont let me.)

Comments

• They were out of Philly, and had a couple of hits like 'Dry Your Eyes' and 'Right On The Tip Of My Tongue'. Early 45s on Dionn, later 45s on Top & Bottom. 'Scuze Us Ya'll' is a good one.

• Pretty well-known group, I believe Brenda was very young when she started recording and was discovered on the playground by a record man passing by. Those are the vague details I think.

Favorite cut: "Stay Together Young Lovers" on the Dionn label, there is an LP which collects her 45s on the label (that one is included) and is totally sick and beautiful.

I also like "The Touch Of You" on Top & Bottom.

• awesome 16corners, Ill check those out. thanks.

• cant tell you anything about them except that i like them. the one's i have are on dionn. same group? anyways, for a while i thought brenda and the tabulations was the same brenda as brenda holloway.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Favorite cut: "Stay Together Young Lovers" on the Dionn label
    Wasn't that on Impalaville?

• Favorite cut: "Stay Together Young Lovers" on the Dionn label

YES

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Favorite cut: "Stay Together Young Lovers" on the Dionn label

YES
    Word. That song is raw.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    both of their lp's are great! still need the second one

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    both of their lp's are great! still need the second one

I think they had a third one on Casablanca during the disco era, but you don't wanna know about THAT one, do ya?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah, i see that one all the time, it doesnt count, it's real wack

• hey boy on dionn is nice, any others on that label any good?

• any others on that label any good?

IMO all of them

IMO all of them

her version of who's lovin you is not so good

IMO all of them

her version of who's lovin you is not so good

duly noted

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'll cosign this LP, caught it recently... should be cheap. WELL worth it.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Got a damn good S/T LP on Top & Bottom (TB-LPS100).

Among some really good tracks (including Scuze Uz Y'all) there's a first rate version of California Soul.

What in the world are the Tabulations doing in that picture?

What in the world are the Tabulations doing in that picture?

I dunno - the one in the middle is holding a shoe though - the one on the left looks to be holding some long hair, but it definitely isn't connected to Brenda's 'fro. I have no idea what the one on the right is playin at.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    quote]

why does that LP never make an appearence in LA? I swear I've never seen it outside of Ebay and fancy picture books.

My copy is slightly different to the arrangement on that - Its still the same image but theres only half the track list printed on the cover and the Top and Bottom label logo is printed in a different place.

• Was "right on the tip of my tongue" just a 45 release or is it also on one of their lps?

P.S. Love this song

why does that LP never make an appearence in LA? I swear I've never seen it outside of Ebay and fancy picture books.

Well, even as late as 1971 (when this LP came out), soul albums weren't exactly million sellers, so it's not like this should be a common item (even though the title track crossed over to the pop Top 40).

Was "right on the tip of my tongue" just a 45 release or is it also on one of their lps?

yeah, it's the title track to their 2nd album (shown above)

• What, no mention of "that's in the past" on Dionn??? Quality shit..

Also, cosign on "right on the tip.." , pure soul music..

/L

• "let's go all the way down" is their underground disco jam and it's really, really good. only available on lp but i have this 80s Casablanca 12" that Danny Krivit put out that has his re-edit of it.