midweek finds

bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
postman damn near melted my face off yesterdaytrae: swang ft h.a.w.k. & fat pat (g-maab) 12"san quinn: the hard way/lavishness (done deal) 12"mac mall: sic wit tis/pimp sh*t (young black brotha) 12"mac dre: young black brotha ep (strictly business)

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Recent collection additions:

Lost out on a Bobby Valentin - Bad Breath, though, which was unfortunate.

• Recent collection additions:

Lost out on a Bobby Valentin - Bad Breath, though, which was poor.

Get your weight up!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    You must not have REALLY wanted it.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    the sylvers-I and II
    bobby byrd-i need help lp
    camille yarbrough-iron pot cooker
    ruby andrews-everybody saw you
    the marvelettes-the return of the marvelettes
    smoky and the miracles-pocket full of miracles
    lamont dozier-love and beauty (at my local salvation army!!!!!)
    the crystal mansion lp on rare earth
    norma jenkins-patience is a virtue
    opus 7-thoughts
    ruth copeland-i am what i am

these are my finds for the last couple of weeks anyway.

peace,xavier

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You must not have REALLY wanted it.

POST YOUR FINDZ OR YER SOFT.BATCH

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    postman damn near melted my face off yesterday

trae: swang ft h.a.w.k. & fat pat (g-maab) 12"
    san quinn: the hard way/lavishness (done deal) 12"
    mac mall: sic wit tis/pimp sh*t (young black brotha) 12"

mac dre: young black brotha ep (strictly business)

dude! ebays or what?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

dude! ebays or what?

DUDE. YODA FLOW????

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    DUDE. LISA LOEB????

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

dude! ebays or what?

SQ was the only ebay find, and I still consider it a 'score' since every copy's been going over $20 for so long, and I finally caught one for $6

The others were non-'bay web scores that were considerably less than 'bay value (the only 2 copies I'd seen of 'swang' on ebay so far both went over $50)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Lost out on a Bobby Valentin - Bad Breath, though, which was unfortunate poor.

• Lost out on a Bobby Valentin - Bad Breath, though, which was unfortunate poor found for $5 in NC in 2003.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Some stuff that came in the mail this week so far:
    The Funky Lexicon...this is OK, I don't know about some of the selections, but I didn't write it so I can't hate at all, overall a pretty cool book with bonus comedy value from some of the Swinglish translations. Awesome.
    Roberta Flack - First Take. I had to resort to the internet for this longtime want because it was always either too expensive in stores and/or looked like someone used it to test the new belt sander they got for valentines day. Anyways, a cheap buy it now, very clean, very happy.
    MC OJ & Rhythm Slave - Positivity 7" with pic/sleeve. Also found this online for a nice price, c.89/90 local NZ Rap, I am into Rap 7"s, esp. local stuff so this is cool for me, very clean copy. The 12" turns up now & then but this was the first 7" version I had seen for ages.
    I have my eyes on a local auction for Parliament - Osmium. The seller's description says it is an OG but what is the way to tell for sure?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Roberta Flack - First Take. I had to resort to the internet for this longtime want because it was always either too expensive in stores and/or looked like someone used it to test the new belt sander they got for valentines day.

Thats crazy

I think every record store in the US has a couple copies of this record, and you'd have a hard time getting more than $4 out of it

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Roberta Flack - First Take. I had to resort to the internet for this longtime want because it was always either too expensive in stores and/or looked like someone used it to test the new belt sander they got for valentines day.

Thats crazy

I think every record store in the US has a couple copies of this record, and you'd have a hard time getting more than $4 out of it

Yeah, another DC staple. Although it is still hard for me to pass up a clean one for a buck or under.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Thats crazy

Yeah, another DC staple. Although it is still hard for me to pass up a clean one for a buck or under.
    Yeah, not really rare but hard to find locally cheap & clean, geographical locations I guess, I'm not sure if it sold hugely down here originally, I'm happy with it though so I guess that's all that matters. When it turns up in record stores it's usually for like $15-20 or more (condition doesn't seem to factor into that pricing either).

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    sealed copy of this
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    and this (thanks Rey)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sealed copy of this

don't you got doubles of this now?

yesterday I spent $2 a pop on the following

Aretha Franklin[/b] "Aretha Now" (Atlantic)

The Sweet Inspirations[/b] "Sweets for My Sweet" (Atlantic)

Patti Labelle & the Blue Belles[/b] "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (Atlantic)

O'Jays[/b] "comin through" (Imperial)

Chairman of the Board[/b] "s/T" (Invictus)

and like 3 other albums I can't remember right now (Drewn if you don't have the above mentioned albums youre soft)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Salvation Army on the way home from work.....

• Lp's

Tommy Brown "Soul Brother In Heaven And Hell" (comedy - awesome cover)

Softones S/T on Avco

Booker T. & The MG's "Uptight OST" - super clean copy

12"s

Afrika Bambaata & The Soulsonic Force "Frantic Situation" Tommy Boy

Master O.C. and Krazy Eddie "Masters of the Scratch" Next Plateau

Fresh Force Crew "Rock Me" Sutra

Three Times Dope "Funky Dividends" Arista

Spoonie Gee "Love Rap" Enjoy

Treacherous Three "Party" Enjoy

Master Jay & Michael Dee "Ready To Rock" Rocky Records

Wish "Mr. DJ" Blue Records

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    sealed copy of this

don't you got doubles of this now?

Naw, I got Black Christ of the Andes a couple months ago. Such a good album. I still need zoning and music for peace.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    I still need zoning and music for peace.

pm me.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    totally random results from shhhhtorage space attack:

eastbound expressway is '79 disco, not as good as i'd hoped. coast to coast was
    sealed so i rolled the dice on 1980 japanese jazz. some of the pete terrace
    tracks are pretty nice.

cunha is cool folk rock, eloise trio is great! the vocals are insane! they are all
    on speed and crack. J Blackfoot '83 sealed, erikson is cool harpsichord + synth
    classical.

lotti golden = good folk, godley and creme box set is really hard to find and is 3
    discs of utter insanity. carter on cti, blues/folk on elektra, bonnie dobson =
    interseting (to me) folk.

cali poppy pickers (heh), bobby pierce on muse has some cool tracks, eclection on
    elektra, bobby doyle i bought cuz of bell production and some good players,
    buzzy's first, elephant s/t

peter allen is weird folk, chess checker promo sampler fom '68, jones family (took
    a long time for me to find this), tomorrow = US domestic issue not the deram $$$
    one. other than a diff label its the same, such a great album.

the big jaw dropper of the day, my first og maceo LP, and with a dj insert!

andrea true acetate of "new york". interesting because you can hear them making
    adjustments to the mix as it rolls. they actually noticably sped it up a bit a
    little ways into the shorter edit.

hahaha! these posters were rolled up in a corner, dude said take em.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Lost out on a Bobby Valentin - Bad Breath, though, which was unfortunate poor found for $5 in NC in 2003.

Wanna sell that for well above market value?

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    mugo "space travel" 45. check out the facemelting synth halfway through.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Couple mailbox jawnies. Had my first run-in with the crazy flimsy UK record mailer...soooo sketchy...
    my record seemed ok, but those things should be banned. UK press of Futures is nice, tho.

Wade Miller is my man. His shit is always $3 or less off eBay,
    and on point every time.

• Salvation Army on the way home from work.....
    it always bugs me out how people find shit like this at their local salvation army's. where do you live, dude? all i've ever seen at the LA joints are beat up engelbert humperdink records.

• Salvation Army on the way home from work.....
    it always bugs me out how people find shit like this at their local salvation army's. where do you live, dude? all i've ever seen at the LA joints are beat up engelbert humperdink records.

or it's beat to shit or has the wrong record in the jacket.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Salvation Armies and Goodwills in the South seem to have people who have Goodwill and give to charitable organizations. The North and West either
    A) Don't give
    B) The workers get the good stuff
    C) Someone's connected to the stores and sucks it all up.

Thrifts in Upstate NY are trash. The worst thrift in the South is usually at least comparable to the mid range to upper end (for records) thrift in the North. The only other dude who comes up at thrifts is Dakar, and that is just a seemingly endless and lucky locale.

Call me a hatter.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Salvation Armies and Goodwills in the South seem to have people who have Goodwill and give to charitable organizations. The North and West either
    A) Don't give
    B) The workers get the good stuff
    C) Someone's connected to the stores and sucks it all up.

Thrifts in Upstate NY are trash. The worst thrift in the South is usually at least comparable to the mid range to upper end (for records) thrift in the North. The only other dude who comes up at thrifts is Dakar, and that is just a seemingly endless and lucky locale.

Call me a hatter.
    True indeed.