Cheap/easy to find albums that are quality

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Loads of albums by The Ventures. A seriously great band considering the amount of output.

Personally, I draw the line on those guys around 1965 (when they started doing more instrumental versions of vocal tunes), but otherwise I totally agree with this one.

You're missing out on some great mod, funk and rock albs... in fact I just picked up the "Batman" one a couple weeks ago and its pretty damn thorough (that could be '65, I'm thinking later though?)

1966, if it's a Batman LP (the TV show premiered that year, and that's when everybody and his brother did a takeoff).

Other common slept-on goodies (both on Hi Records):
    - O.V. Wright, The Bottom Line (don't be fooled - even though it's from 1977, this is NOT disco; it's straight-ahead soul music like his earlier sides on Back Beat)
    - Otis Clay, I Can't Take It (don't be fooled - even though it's from 1978, this is NOT disco; it's straight-ahead soul music recorded a few years earlier, but most of it remained unreleased until this album)

• Loads of albums by The Ventures. A seriously great band considering the amount of output.

Personally, I draw the line on those guys around 1965 (when they started doing more instrumental versions of vocal tunes), but otherwise I totally agree with this one.

You're missing out on some great mod, funk and rock albs... in fact I just picked up the "Batman" one a couple weeks ago and its pretty damn thorough (that could be '65, I'm thinking later though?)

1966, if it's a Batman LP (the TV show premiered that year, and that's when everybody and his brother did a takeoff).

Other common slept-on goodies (both on Hi Records):
    - O.V. Wright, The Bottom Line (don't be fooled - even though it's from 1977, this is NOT disco; it's straight-ahead soul music like his earlier sides on Back Beat)
    - Otis Clay, I Can't Take It (don't be fooled - even though it's from 1978, this is NOT disco; it's straight-ahead soul music recorded a few years earlier, but most of it remained unreleased until this album)

I can't believe people sleep on OV Wright.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I really wish ANY of the OV Wright albums were easy to find around here... they wouldn't even have to be dirt cheap... I do see the 45s every now and then

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

"Worship us batches"

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• Two come to mind that I was just listening to today: Charles Bevel on A&M and Merl Saunders S/T on Fantasy.

• Delegation "eau de vie"

The black cover? Not super expensive but not easy to find either...

Nice, nice tunes on there though.

This one:

Image hosting by Photobucket

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    none of the albums listed here are cheap or easy to find here

• rufus with "you got the love".....so dope

boz scaggs....i celebrate his entire catalog

• Ok maybe not all quality but at least a one tracker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DONNY-GERRARD-LP-ST-GREEDY-RECORDS-R-B-SOUL-RARE-70S_W0QQitemZ4759054224QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

**"he's always somewhere around"

/L

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Billy Cobham and George Duke...the live album

cosign..just picked that up recently cheep cheep cheep