Cheap/easy to find albums that are quality

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Name albums that are slept on because they are common and people forget to pay attention to them.I'll start with a handful that I've been feeling lately. -Baby Washington & Don Gardner "Lay A Little Lovin' On Me" (Master Five) 70's soul. Many nice track and an album that I can put on from beginning to end.-Norma Jean "Same" (Bearsville) I don't know if this is heavily slept on but I did sleep on it for a minute. Super great disco tracks "Saturday"+"Sorcerer" and nice soul/2step in "I Belive in You"-Angelo Bond "Bondage" (Abc) nice sweet soul album. Many listenable tracks.-Marlena Shaw "Sweet Beginnings" (Columbia) seems to always be very cheap so worth the $. I've been chillin to "Look at me look at you" but more nice tracks.-Cheryl Lynn "Instant Love" (Columbia) modern soul and disco. "Sleep Walkin'"+"Look Before You Leap"+"I Just Wanna Be Your Fantasy" are all nice.-Dionne Warwick "Then You Came" (Warner Bros.) "Just Being Myself" has been mentioned on here when talking about her but this one is just as good if not better at least to me. Not the Dozier-holland-dozier production like the other one so therefor not as appealing to everyone as "just be...". All the obvious classics by marvin gaye, al green etc are excluded. They are still good but people should be up on them by now. Give some space for those that are slept on.

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    A bunch from the CTI catalogue. Laugh if you will, some of those are good shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A bunch from the CTI catalogue. Laugh if you will, some of those are good shit.

i agree. I love how they sound.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Loads of albums by The Ventures. A seriously great band considering the amount of output.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Loads of albums by The Ventures. A seriously great band considering the amount of output.

Personally, I draw the line on those guys around 1965 (when they started doing more instrumental versions of vocal tunes), but otherwise I totally agree with this one.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Chocolate Chip is and I Can't Turn Around is . Great album for what, $5-10?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What a record.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Personally, I draw the line on those guys around 1965 (when they started doing more instrumental versions of vocal tunes), but otherwise I totally agree with this one.

Don't sleep on Underground Fire, which is a pretty
    legitimate acid rock instro LP, lots of fuzz & great rhythms...

I tried to get into this album, but somehow it just didn't stick. Because so many people hold this record in high esteem, it's in my "to be listened to" pile right now, so I'll give it another chance.

I tried to get into this album, but somehow it just didn't stick. Because so many people hold this record in high esteem, it's in my "to be listened to" pile right now, so I'll give it another chance.

I like "Surfin' with the Ventures" with their version of "The Cruncher"

I like "Surfin' with the Ventures" with their version of "The Cruncher"

Now that's one I can get behind. Even The Ventures Play Country Classics is a killer (later retitled I Walk The Line, with a cover pic of a cute girl walking down the line in the middle of the highway).

• Delegation "eau de vie"
    Nicole (forgot title but the one with "new york eyes" on it )
    Mamas & the papas "people like us"

++ a couple more, i'm acctually working on a "introduction to swedish crate-digging" compilation with stuff that are easy to get here and all of the above are featured (one track from each) , i haven't made the total tracklist yet but the layout on the front sleeve is done.. btw this is nothing that will be "released" so i will put it up here when i'm done so you guys can download..

best
    Leo

• Billy Cobham and George Duke...the live album

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm surpised no one mentioned this

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• I'm surpised no one mentioned this

All the obvious classics by marvin gaye, al green etc are excluded. They are still good but people should be up on them by now. Give some space for those that are slept on.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I'm surpised no one mentioned this

All the obvious classics by marvin gaye, al green etc are excluded. They are still good but people should be up on them by now. Give some space for those that are slept on.

Oh, ok. I guess I understand where you're coming from.

• three dog night

little feat

divine ms.m

henry mancini symphonic soul

what about sergio mendes records? i only fuck with "stillness". any other ones as good as that?

• Some more:

Staple Singers "pass it on" (WB)
    Switch "am i still your boyfriend?" (Ok not the best lp as a whole but "keeping secrets" is awesome!)
    Love unlimited orch. "music maestro" (20th century)
    **"forever in love"!!!!!!!
    Debra Laws on Elektra
    **"very special" "how long" +++

/L

Debra Laws on Elektra

Yup.
    What up, T*ny?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Debra Laws on Elektra

Yup.

What up, T*ny?

i slept on that!

• Delegation "eau de vie"

The black cover? Not super expensive but not easy to find either...

Nice, nice tunes on there though.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Most Paul Revere & the Raiders albums (just avoid Indian Reservation and their novelty Xmas LP).

Debra Laws on Elektra

Yup.

What up, T*ny?

i slept on that!
    I slept also . Glad I copped it though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

You're missing out on some great mod, funk and rock albs... in fact I just picked up the "Batman" one a couple weeks ago and its pretty damn thorough (that could be '65, I'm thinking later though?)

• -O.V. Wright "Memphis Unlimited"
    -Dee dee Brigdewater "Just Family"
    -Rufus ft. Chaka Khan "Ask Rufus" a classic title. But I still think some people are sleeping on it.