ghost dog appreciation

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
man i watched this movie last night after not seeing it for maybe a year and it's so fuckin good. so many ill parts, and bits that are straight hilarious(in a good way). man i love this movie

Comments

• Yeah, it's a good movie. A bit underrated in my opinion. Not that deep but that's the intention. Love the colors!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Great movie, great soundtrack. I love Jim Jarmusch.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    if you liked Ghost Dog you need to see Seijun Suzuki's "Branded to Kill"

it wasa heavy influence style-wise on the G.D.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    just got my dvd back from my sister's ex-boyfriend's current girlfriend (hows that shit?) after about two years after I let him borrow it. i really didn't like the movie when it first came out but i think i ended up watching it at someone's house or something and enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. if rza scored movies like he did for that one...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    good shit

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

"Passenger Pigeon"[/b] "Passenger Pigeon"[/b]

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    great flick, saw the toronto debut in the theatres..shit had me reading the hagakure when it came out.

• You remember The Mack discovering Ghost Dog like a year ago = you've been on this site way too long

• i still have not seen it.
    never got around to it but the soundtrack is great.(!)

time to netflickit

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    if you liked Ghost Dog you need to see Seijun Suzuki's "Branded to Kill"

Also this

inspired John Woo's The Killer and I think has a lot to do with Ghost Dog's quiet style

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    You remember The Mack discovering Ghost Dog like a year ago = you've been on this site way too long
    i didnt discover it a year ago. i saw it when it came out, long before i was on soulstrut, or even collected records

• [requisite soulstrut disclaimer that will not be heeded anyway]not directed at any of y'all personally, but...[/requisite soulstrut disclaimer that will not be heeded anyway]

this movie sucks. the soundtrack was dope as far as it went, but what a boring flick otherwise. were those annoying Italian caricatures supposed to be ironic? still not funny. and the whole lone, mysterious warrior thing...cool as a tribute to Jarmusch's Asian cinema influences I guess, but not that interesting as an entire movie.

• if you liked Ghost Dog you need to see Seijun Suzuki's "Branded to Kill"

it provided the only dope scenes of this terd movie[/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My question is, what is up with the bullshit of never commercially releasing the RZA score?
    The "soundtrack" was pretty tepid - they fully flossed RZA's name
    in all the movie promos, but held out with the goods.
    I want vinyls of those shits!!

Only thing more confusing was trying to figure out
    what RZA had to do with the Kill Bill soundtrack...
    I put that shit in my player and was like

and I remember now I bought the DVD cause it said it had "isolated film score" and I was like, "word - now I can just burn a CD off that" but it was some bullshit where it plays the movie but only scenes in which the score appears(?)

ripped off again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    vinyl is out but cd release was only in japan
    i saw the vinyl online at a bunch of places but im pretty sure turntable lab still has it. i think i might have an extra copy too.

• if you liked Ghost Dog you need to see Seijun Suzuki's "Branded to Kill"

HUGE cosine. All of Seijun Suzuki's films are

i saw the vinyl online at a bunch of places but im pretty sure turntable lab still has it. i think i might have an extra copy too.

Word - I have to admit I stopped looking not long after the movie
    was actually out, maybe around when the DVD came out.
    Thanks, now I'll just buy it instead of ranting about it

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Word - I have to admit I stopped looking not long after the movie
    was actually out, maybe around when the DVD came out.
    Thanks, now I'll just buy it instead of ranting about it

Yeah definitely worth picking up the japanese version with the original score. Having said that, I love Don't Test on the movie tie in soundtrack, almost makes up for the other terds on there.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    My question is, what is up with the bullshit of never commercially releasing the RZA score?

Supposedly he did quite a bit of the score although, after seeing Kill Bill Vol II again last night, I didn't hear much evidence of any significant Rza input. You may know this anyway, but there's a distinction between the score, which is usually the themes, cues, stings, etc., and the soundtrack, which is all the other shit like featured and non-featured music uses. Most of the Rza stuff used on both of the Kill Bill films seemed to be restricted to the end credits.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    "I'm sorry mack, but i'm you're retainer"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    [requisite soulstrut disclaimer that will not be heeded anyway]not directed at any of y'all personally, but...[/requisite soulstrut disclaimer that will not be heeded anyway]

this movie sucks. the soundtrack was dope as far as it went, but what a boring flick otherwise. were those annoying Italian caricatures supposed to be ironic? still not funny. and the whole lone, mysterious warrior thing...cool as a tribute to Jarmusch's Asian cinema influences I guess, but not that interesting as an entire movie.

Yeah the gangsters were pretty terrible as far as being characters in a movie. I liked it otherwise, if for nothing else than to put on the in background when I have friends over.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The vinyl is a bootleg of the Japanese CD... British I think?

As far as I know RZA's only KILL BILL contribution was that lame Wu song w/ODB...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The vinyl is a bootleg of the Japanese CD... British I think?

As far as I know RZA's only KILL BILL contribution was that lame Wu song w/ODB...

What? You don't even know, son! He's scowing movies left and wight! Doo, doo, doo, doo! And playing his own instwuments! Full digital orchestwa son! And check fow that Cuwe album, coming soon! Doo, doo, doo!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Can't remember if the coolest bit was on the "Outtakes" section of the DVD or whether it's actually in the movie, but it's the older mobster (the one that gets shot up the sink) shaving at that sink whilst reciting some gangsta rap - I am sure everyone bar me knows what the rap is.

• My question is, what is up with the bullshit of never commercially releasing the RZA score?

Ghost Dog - they released two vinyls - the domestic version was more like a 'music inspired by the motion picture' type steez with all hip hop songs, strong Wu influence, and maybe like 2 actual tracks from the movie

an imported version (the one mentioned at TTLab) was the actual RZA score - a bunch of RZA instrumentals and a few with vox from the actual movie itself.

As for Kill Bill - i think it's a case where RZA was probably more of a supervisor/consultant. I also noticed that there is a bunch of music in the film that is not on the commercial releases - like the music they play whenever the bride gets read to flay someone - (I know I should know it but...) the drums with the little keyboard part that goes weeeee-ooooo weeeee-ooooo and ends with the horn fanfare - not on either of the soundtracks. And he did the ode to oren ishii on the first volume.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Can't remember if the coolest bit was on the "Outtakes" section of the DVD or whether it's actually in the movie, but it's the older mobster (the one that gets shot up the sink) shaving at that sink whilst reciting some gangsta rap - I am sure everyone bar me knows what the rap is.

Wasn't it "Cold Lampin' with Flavor"?

I am sure everyone bar me knows what the rap is.

We do.

And I have trouble classifying Public Enemy as "gangsta."

the drums with the little keyboard part that goes weeeee-ooooo weeeee-ooooo and ends with the horn fanfare - not on either of the soundtracks

This is Quincy Jones, Ironsides, from the "Smackwater Jack" LP -
    and it is at least listed as a track on the Volume 1 OST,
    I don't remember if it's actually on there or not.