How often do you STRIKE OUT? (RR)

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    .....and I can usually get an idea what something might sound like by looking closely at the vinyl.

• Last couple of weeks I've been striking out alot. Haven't spent that much on shitty records though.. But swedish records are really hard to judge by the look of the cover. That's why I've been gambling

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I wish my good records percentage was as good as my getting hot dates percentage... I'm 2 for 2 on that today alone. Take that TheMack!

Now we'll see when I get home if the 5 records I bought at Goodwill today during my lunch break are as hot (I highly doubt it)

A Variations 12" (bay area disco, could be hot)
    Charlie Parker live LP (a later UK press. Bought to sell. Probably worthless)
    A sealed local middle school jazz band LP (probably sucks, but ya never know)
    Some Turkish LP I couldn't read from 1976 (Not Manco, but potential hotness)
    Spirit of America LP (Looks like sunshine pop Xian so it probably sucks but ya never know)

I take a lot of chances so I strike out a lot, but ever once in a while something I might not have picked up if I was worried about percentages turns out to be so dope. The only problem is I'm left with a lot of private press GARBAGE!

DJ Ferrari

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Rated X" by Zodiac on Uni.

Don't know what I was expecting from this single, but with a title/band name/label like that, I was hoping for something a lot stronger than some horrid pop novelty about how the narrator is too young to see these newfangled X-rated flicks that are all the rage. Ah hell, it was only a quarter, but I still unloaded my copy a long time ago.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    very often. probably because i buy anything that looks remotely interesting at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. just so i dont miss anything
    I'm the same. But, as Rockadelic said, it's what makes this so much fun. I love "predicting" (even if it's not something I'll necessarily like) what the records will sound like. Sometimes I play games with my friends. The result has sometimes been facemelting. Those are the best times.

very often. probably because i buy anything that looks remotely interesting at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. just so i dont miss anything
    I'm the same. But, as Rockadelic said, it's what makes this so much fun. I love "predicting" (even if it's not something I'll necessarily like) what the records will sound like. Sometimes I play games with my friends. The result has sometimes been facemelting. Those are the best times.

Usually my predictions are easier with albums, because there will be some kind of visual tipoff as far as what kind of music it's supposed to be - liner notes, the way the artist is dressed, etc.. But with singles, it's just a name and a title that might not mean much to you, but you might buy it because the label or some name in the credits looked intriguing...and even then, that's no guarantee. Even so, I've found a lot of classic wax that way...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    my average is worse when it comes to 45's....Lp you have a better chance of getting it right.

how about when your prediction is right but it STILL stinks?

you know, it may look like a rare funk 45, and it turns out it IS, but its just not good?

• how about when your prediction is right but it STILL stinks?

you know, it may look like a rare funk 45, and it turns out it IS, but its just not good?

Yes, this is the shit that makes me wish I had an ebay account.

how about when your prediction is right but it STILL stinks?

that's not a problem because you can trade(or sell) it to someone who might like it.

Here's a couple of records that I've noticed people ALWAYS seem to get burned by, thinking these albums are cooler than they actually are:

- Gideon & Power, I Gotta Be Me (horrid Jesus-rock on Bell...even the Dusty Groove website clowns these guys, if they have the LP in stock)

- the Candymen (self-titled on ABC) - people expect this to be a lost garage classic, going by their mod attire on the cover, but the record turns out to be lame flower pop...there was a followup album, too, but the s/t debut pops up the most

here's one I got burned on...I'm sure I'm not the only one...

• Here's a couple of records that I've noticed people ALWAYS seem to get burned by, thinking these albums are cooler than they actually are:

- Gideon & Power, I Gotta Be Me (horrid Jesus-rock on Bell...even the Dusty Groove website clowns these guys, if they have the LP in stock)

- the Candymen (self-titled on ABC) - people expect this to be a lost garage classic, going by their mod attire on the cover, but the record turns out to be lame flower pop...there was a followup album, too, but the s/t debut pops up the most

45 wise, I think J Hines and the Fellows "Funky Funk" has burned a lot of us

• very often. probably because i buy anything that looks remotely interesting at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. just so i dont miss anything

RE: Predicting

This thing'll turn you into a regular f*ckin' Karnak...

here's one I got burned on...I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Straight-up AM radio pop like that "Rated X" 45, I'm assuming?

(And has anybody here heard Tony Lee Sybert's "Hot Pants" record? If so...good or bad?)

RE: Predicting

This thing'll turn you into a regular f*ckin' Karnak...

one thing im happy to see these days - even the most mercenary used record dealer (like that cat at Wax Trax in Vegas) has a portable turntable so you can try before you buy

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    45 wise, I think J Hines and the Fellows "Funky Funk" has burned a lot of us

Carl Smith - Country Soul Man was a recent disappointment in this vein.

He got the "country" part right, though.

Carl Smith - Country Soul Man was a recent disappointment in this vein.

He got the "country" part right, though.

As a fan of both country and (older) soul, I gotta warn you that there's a surprising amount of late-sixties country albums with the word "soul" in the title. Hardly any of them have any relation to R&B. Well, there's that one Diana Trask LP on Dot (Miss Country Soul) where she's doing country versions of Joe Tex songs, but that's a weak album anyway.