How often do you STRIKE OUT? (RR)

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
How often do you make a bet on whether a record will be decent, seen but not heard, and are wrong? It has the right cover, right players, right era, but when you drop the needle it's...I'm thinking I'm batting .750....

Comments

• All you are perfect s???

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I used to do that all the time -- the way of the beat digger.

Then I bought a portable, developed good taste.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

A portable is the condom of crate diggin'

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I used to do that all the time -- the way of the beat digger.

immaculate balling

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Genius!!! Half the fun is waiting to get home and give it a listen.....beats the hell out of playing the horses.....and I can usually get an idea what something might sound like by looking closely at the vinyl.

• Then I bought a portable, developed good taste.

Genius!!! Half the fun is waiting to get home and give it a listen.....

So true. I haven't strucken out in a while but it happened to me the other day. Took a chance on this blues cat -- it looked like a come up. Was on Chess, recorded in '66 and had some nice players on it -- most notably for me, Bunky Green... And man, that shit was pretty bad. The guy's voice more than anything though. Think opera/blues fusion.

• How often do you make a bet on whether a record will be decent, seen but not heard, and are wrong? It has the right cover, right players, right era, but when you drop the needle it's...

I'm thinking I'm batting .750....

One that immediately springs to my mind because I just heard it recently (fortunately didn't buy it) is The family Dog LP.

1) Year 1969 = tick

2) Session players = several Led Zepplin members and the cream of UK studio/library players ie Alan Hawkshaw, etc. Can't remember exactly, just top notch players = tick

3) Picture cover decent enough = tick and the result....

...oh dear, easy listening which makes the Gunter Kallman Choir sound funky!

Horrible and well avoided.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    99% of the time. I usually only use my portable if the record is more than $20. I'm not buying lp's for "good music" however, so I guess that's what's different for me

• Btw, that record I was talking about is for sale if anyone's interested.

It's got Bunky Green on it! BUNKY GREEN!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Btw, that record I was talking about is for sale if anyone's interested.

It's got Bunky Green on it! BUNKY GREEN!

Later for the sidemen, WHO THE HELL IS IT BY?

• immaculate balling

You shave?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    immaculate balling

You shave?

• It's by Herb Lance and the record is titled The Comeback. If I see it again, I think I'll get it again just so I can burn it and know that there's one less copy out there in the world.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    .....and I can usually get an idea what something might sound like by looking closely at the vinyl.

Record reader

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's by Herb Lance and the record is titled The Comeback. If I see it again, I think I'll get it again just so I can burn it and know that there's one less copy out there in the world.

i think lance was supposed to be more of a jazz singer than blues, which probably explains why he was so operatic? ive seen that around...the most notable thing about that album is the cover, where lance is stepping off a train, holding a suitcase WITH THE CHESS LOGO ON IT...nice touch!

• It's by Herb Lance and the record is titled The Comeback. If I see it again, I think I'll get it again just so I can burn it and know that there's one less copy out there in the world.

i think lance was supposed to be more of a jazz singer than blues, which probably explains why he was so operatic? ive seen that around...the most notable thing about that album is the cover, where lance is stepping off a train, holding a suitcase WITH THE CHESS LOGO ON IT...nice touch!

Yeah, exactly! I saw it at this spot where I tend to get freebies thrown my way so I went for it... I guess I can't complain too much in that case.

But word, the cover and other specs indicated it would be a winner. Had I heard Herb Lance previously, I would've just passed. Oh well. You win and lose, that's the balance.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    This is hard because sometimes I am buying for listening and sometimes I am at the thrift just looking for sounds. I have have copped piles of horrible crap from thrift stores but for .25 cents it ain't that bad if you can at least get a snare of it...for listening I strike out like 15%-20% of the time.

• This is hard because sometimes I am buying for listening and sometimes I am at the thrift just looking for sounds. I have have copped piles of horrible crap from thrift stores but for .25 cents it ain't that bad if you can at least get a snare of it...for listening I strike out like 15%-20% of the time.

Good point. Btw, Gr*g -- I got that record at the spot Om*r and I took you to where you came up on that Funkadelic record.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    If I factor in records I bring home that I don't like but can sell on ebay for at least 5 times what I paid, then I'm batting about .900. Fuck a portable.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Best quote so far

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Best quote so far

True. And you wouldn't want to get burnt by a whole bunch of STDs, would you? (straight terd discs)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If I factor in records I bring home that I don't like but can sell on ebay for at least 5 times what I paid, then I'm batting about .900. Fuck a portable.

yup.

Shopping in Philly record stores is more like bunting than actually taking wifs at the ball.

• I think Im batting about 500. I strike out maybe two in ten times and strike out looking maybe one in ten. I almost never listen anymore at the store and never had a portable. Personally I like to trust my instincts and give records a couple month chance -- even if I dont like them at first. Arent those the records we love the most? The ones we gave a third and fourth chance?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    How often do you make a bet on whether a record will be decent, seen but not heard, and are wrong?

i've been wrong often when i first started buying records. Since then, my ratio of good to bad records has gotten better, but then again I've passed on records like Chapter 8-s/t and The Rationals- s/t.

Arent those the records we love the most? The ones we gave a third and fourth chance?

I think this is actually those records that you discover/find somethine new to appreciation during those initial repeated listens.

If a record doesn't have me by the balls on the 3rd, let alone 4th chance - it's out the do'.

• Arent those the records we love the most? The ones we gave a third and fourth chance?

I think this is actually those records that you discover/find somethine new to appreciation on those initial repeated listens.

If a record doesn't have me by the balls on the 3rd, let alone 4th chance - it's out the do'.

True enough, but so many times I've listened the first few times and been kind of , mainly because I think I was expecting something different, and thought " this sucks, im dumping it." I dont know, maybe what youre talking about is closer to what I was trying to say. However, it is nice to file something for six months or a year, and without you knowing it, you're ear has changed and then you listen to it and find that you cant live without this record now.

My point basically, I dont trust my initial sensory reactions, instead I try to listen to my insticts. A girl with great tits and a fat ass is what youre jonhson goes for.

Arent those the records we love the most? The ones we gave a third and fourth chance?

I think this is actually those records that you discover/find somethine new to appreciation on those initial repeated listens.

My point basically, I dont trust my initial sensory reactions, instead I try to listen to my insticts. A girl with great tits and a fat ass is what youre jonhson goes for.

RECORDS > GIRLS

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Everytime I go to a record store I hit a grandslam.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    very often. probably because i buy anything that looks remotely interesting at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. just so i dont miss anything