Mixer suggestions?

DirtyBeatGuyDirtyBeatGuy 297 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So it's that time - looking for a new mixer. Don't do much scratching - so a battle mixer isn't necessary and I'm looking for 3 channels. Can't find that many reviews of mixers on the interweb so I figured I'd get the Strut's opinion. Any suggestions?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how much do you want to spend

• how much do you want to spend
    Under 500 range.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• Do you want 3 phono channels or 2 phonos and 1 line-in?

• Do you want 3 phono channels or 2 phonos and 1 line-in?
    3 phono channels

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• how much do you want to spend
    Under 500 range.

go the extra 200-300 bones and get the rane empath. you won't be sorry. it's durable and the faders are like butta:

• a GOOD 3 channel mixer under $500 is kinda hard to come by, but the Ecler Nuo 3 comes in at $499

http://topdjgear.com/eclernuo3.html

newish company out of spain - they have a plasticy feel on the faders, but are soooooper nice mixers and very durable with a lot of customizable options

Numark DXM09

http://topdjgear.com/numarkdxm09.html

also a good mixer, and Numark has been stepping up their game - $370 comes loaded with a buttload of digital effects

Vestax VMC04

http://topdjgear.com/vevm4chdjmiw.html

actually a 4 channel mixer but a kickass little workhorse - $300

Stanton SMX501

http://topdjgear.com/stansm103chs.html

haven't really messed with this one at all, but stanton has been making good mixers lately.

my $0.02

• Thanks for the suggestions - I've been eyeing that Empath and that NuMark one - just wondering how that NuMark would hold up - never used one or known anyone who has had one.

• Thanks for the suggestions - I've been eyeing that Empath and that NuMark one - just wondering how that NuMark would hold up - never used one or known anyone who has had one.

if you're deciding between numark and Rane - go rane all the way. I mean, the only mixer that I listed that's even close to the rane is the Ecler...

• Yeah, I was just holding out. But I think maybe I'll just spring for the Rane. It's gonna set me back a bit but sounds like it will be worth it.

• girgir 329 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions - I've been eyeing that Empath and that NuMark one - just wondering how that NuMark would hold up - never used one or known anyone who has had one.

my freind has a dxm-06 and he says the crossfaders wear out pretty quick but he does a lot of scratching ish. does anyone know dxm-09 has a similar issue?

my freind has a dxm-06 and he says the crossfaders wear out pretty quick but he does a lot of scratching ish. does anyone know dxm-09 has a similar issue?

The fader on the DXM06 is indeeeeeeed very quick to wear out. I imagine the dxm09 has the same fader. If you're not doing a lot of scratching at just mixing then it should be fine. Replacements are pretty cheap too (~$40 CAN). I like the effects on the DXM06 a lot, and everything else about the mixer is really nice, except for the quickly deteriorating faders.

• girgir 329 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions - I've been eyeing that Empath and that NuMark one - just wondering how that NuMark would hold up - never used one or known anyone who has had one.

The fader on the DXM06 is indeeeeeeed very quick to wear out. I imagine the dxm09 has the same fader. If you're not doing a lot of scratching at just mixing then it should be fine. Replacements are pretty cheap too (~$40 CAN). I like the effects on the DXM06 a lot, and everything else about the mixer is really nice, except for the quickly deteriorating faders.

yeah i dig on the effects as well. i am still debating on whether or not to get the dxm-06/something similar or a seperate effects unit of some sort.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anyone peep the Vestax 08pro yet? It looks like the first decent Vestax since the PMC37...

• If I had the $$$ I'd get an external effects unit and get a Rane.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Hook this up and look no further.

Everything is durable as you like, you got effect send and return on there, all the features of a quality scratch mixer... look no further.

Plus the crossfader is super slick and a nice shape.. its a little bit taller than others so you can do a few extra things with a set of quick-ass fingers.

not feeling it. do you have one? I wanna know the appeal of this mixer. There's a gang of better units on the market for cheaper. The eq's sliders on this thing were designed by midgets or someone with tiny ass fingers. They're really hard to adjust when you're mid-mix. Fuck a slider, gimme pots any day.

• girgir 329 Posts
    If I had the $$$ I'd get an external effects unit and get a Rane.

yeah what i'll probably end up doing is getting one of the numarks for now and then make the next upgrade to a rane w/ external effects.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Been watching this thread 'cos I'm in the market for a new mixer as well. I really don't need much since pretty much all I DJ is old 45s and I don't scratch, so all I need is two channels. I've been using an entry level Numark for about 7 years now and it's giving out on me, as in...you have to set up the power cord just right so that the power stays on. Anyway, my own reading/research has narrowed down my search to these two:

Rane TTM 54i
    Vestax PMC-05PRO3

though I'm considering spending another $50 for the Allen & Heath Xone 02 Mixer.

I've used a Rane further up the food chain than the TTM 54i, and I've used a like model but older version of this Vestax. I was mainly not considering another Numark because they're all boasting digital now, and I'd rather hear some old 60s 45s played though one before buying one. My old crappy Numark has served my needs extrememly well over the years, though I know that it never did have the best sound output. But finances were definitely a factor when I bought it, and it turned out to be the best under $100 investment I had made in a long time.

• So pardon my ignorance - but what's the deal with the effects? As in what they do? What are they good for etc...I'm in the dark on this.

Vestax PMC-05PRO3
    Allen & Heath Xone 02 Mixer.

my 0.02

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

not feeling it. do you have one? I wanna know the appeal of this mixer. There's a gang of better units on the market for cheaper. The eq's sliders on this thing were designed by midgets or someone with tiny ass fingers. They're really hard to adjust when you're mid-mix. Fuck a slider, gimme pots any day.

Yeah I have had one for somewhere around 2 years, I've personally never had any problems with the eq.. mid-mix or otherwise. The only flaw I could see with them is that you couldn't do any super fast eq tricks (we're talking nano second, super spectacular twiddle type shifts here).

But for scratching and battling? I fecking love it. The fader is ultra comfortable to use and super slick. I have been pretty much twiddling and flaring on it everyday for two years straight and there's no bleed or any signs of fader wear.. its still working sweet as you like.

Thats the reason I rub my pants when it comes to the A&H Xone:02.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    So pardon my ignorance - but what's the deal with the effects? As in what they do? What are they good for etc...I'm in the dark on this.

echo, delay, flange, reverb, filter sweep, ring modulator, vibrato, pitch shift...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

wait...what the hell is this? does it have serato built in?

• wait...what the hell is this? does it have serato built in?

The TTM 57SL combines the best Rane and Serato have to offer in a single, high performance mixer. Finally a mixer that fully integrates mixer hardware, software and software controls in one powerful package. The TTM 57SL combines all the performance and features of the Rane TTM 56 with Serato Scratch LIVE software. We didn't stop there -- we also included internal effects with six stereo insert points.

The TTM 57SL allows the user to simultaneously:

* Play a combination of digital and analog sources.
    * Play up to two digital files controlled by vinyl or CD while recording your mix.
    * Or, record two stereo sources when not using vinyl or CD control.
    * Cue analog and digital sources.
    * Operate standalone as a no-compromise performance mixer.