Billy Childish appreciation--don't front on lo-fi!

smallchangesmallchange 202 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Dude's made over a 100 , rekkids, produces, does woodprints, even poetry (that doesn't suck). If you're even a remote fan of real rawk n' roll I'm sure you have (or should have) a few of his LPs or side projects. $??

Comments

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I bet there are not more than 20 people on SS who ever heard of old Bill. I'm one of them (even though I ws never a fan). Who else is in?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

a favourite record of mine.

• I bet there are not more than 20 people on SS who ever heard of old Bill. I'm one of them (even though I ws never a fan). Who else is in?

I've heard of him. Friends of mine have met him. I'm not much of a fan but I admire his persistence...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    co-sign on Mighty Caesars. Great album.
    Not too familiar with his other stuff, although the Headcoats material I have heard, I like - Holly-go-Lightly, too.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    mighty caesars "wise blood." rhktd.

• The Headcoats album with the gun on the cover is amazing. Lyrics are pretty deep too dealing with child abuse. All the singles from this era are so necessary too ("Girl from '62", "Gun In My Fathers Hand", etc...).

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    If you're still counting to 20, I'm in. Got a couple Headcoats and other side projects. Just last weekend my girlfriend said she jammed with a guy who played with him in England (he's working on his green card over here). He was pretty shocked people in NC knew who Billy Childish was.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I bet there are not more than 20 people on SS who ever heard of old Bill. I'm one of them (even though I ws never a fan). Who else is in?

I'm in it, and I like his music well enough, but his act was starting to get musty there for a while. It's easy to get tired of a guy who puts out a new record every five minutes. Or at least that's the way it seemed, 9-10 years ago.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Still 12 strutters missing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Still 12 strutters missing.

i'm sure ms damn will weigh in - she knows what's up.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I have a bunch of The Headcoats records as well as some Thee Headcoatees lp's too.

• Don't know too much about him but dstill put me up on this awhile back

and thought it was hard as f***.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm witcha

Have a couple records (LP or 45) each from Milkshakes, Mighty Caesers, Headcoats, Headcoatees, and BC solo

I read a quote from him once something along the lines of that he'd rather sell a thousand copies each of fifty different albums than 50,000 copies of one...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm in--i've got a bunch of his releases--but several dozen (make that hundreds) probably that i've never heard before.

• I like the rawk stuff. The cover "Have Love will Travel" by the Headcoatees is the jam!
    Didn't know he did woodprints, that's next level talent indeed.

• The amazing thing is that even with the staggering amount of releases there's very little filler. If yr a fan this a pretty cool site.

• COunt me in as one of the 20...working on college radio will learn ya' all of the basement picassos. Daniel Johnston, Jandek, etc., etc., etc. I don't love 'em all, but lo-fi has treated me well. Mostly, the Guided by VOices catalog.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

I was a huuuuge fan when I was around 13/14 but as I got more and more records I did get slightly bored.
    There are still some bonafide r'n'r classics by him no doubt!
    First Mighty Caesars and early headcoats does it for me.

I bet he's made 200 now! I can't think of any r'n'r artist who has put out so many records. Hell, the milkshakes once put out 4 albums on the same day!!!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    BTW BC hates to be referred to as lo-fi!!!

• BTW BC hates to be referred to as lo-fi!!!

This is one thing I've gotten sick of...look, who cares. Some stupid rock critic decides to call it lo-fi, and a bunch of bands get lumped in. Does the label change the music? Is Jackson Pollock better or worse as an Ab-Ex artist, or "that dude who splatters shit,". I'm reading the Guided by Voices book right now, and the author keeps complaining about the term "indie-rock." Well, maybe there are better titles, but that one happened, and its time to move on. Worry about the noise, not the name. I once read Jimmy Buffett say his music is "unclassifiable". Well, Jim, I would classify it as "shit," but let's just call it "(dull) rock," and worry about making it better.

Sorry to front, Billy C. Just a recent pet peeve.

• Don't know too much about him but dstill put me up on this awhile back

and thought it was hard as f***.

I got a signed copy of that CD! Someone I used to work with ended up moving to Chatham and becoming Mrs. Childish, so I got a couple of free Buff Medway singles and so forth, since she was psyched that I was into Thee Headcoats. Rad. I'm going to have to re-read Notebooks of a Naked Youth again. It's been a while, but I remember enjoying it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    My favorite Headcoat 45's are still that Davy Crockett joint and Girl from 62.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I can't think of any r'n'r artist who has put out so many records.

Wesley Willis

• My favorite Headcoat 45's are still that Davy Crockett joint...

Cosign. Played that shit at the guggenheim last weekend.

$??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I've heard of him. Friends of mine have met him. I'm not much of a fan but I admire his persistence...

The MILKSHAKES are where it's at for BC stuff. As much as I like thee Mighty Caesars and can hansle the Headcoats (and Headcoatees) in small doses, that Milkshakes stuff is his best work, IMO.

My friend Eric used to stay with Billy when visiting in England, said Billy used to get drunk and make VERY entertaining phone calls to girls all over the globe.