Filmstrut - underrated supporting actors/actresses

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I was just watching '48 Hours' again this weekend, and it got me thinking how many movies this guy turns up in:Brion James (R.I.P)Man, somehow every movie this guy plays in has a place in my filmloving heart. He always plays a supporting character, usually of the dubious kind, but he always shines. Did he ever play a leading role?Favorite appearances:'Crimewave' - Ratty exterminator sidekick with a knack for electrocuting humans.'Enemy Mine' - Bad guy mine overseer.'Southern Comfort' - Creepy Cajun trapper (one for the bad accents thread, perhaps?)'Blade Runner' - Replicant Leon.What other unsung acting heroes/heroines are overlooked according to the cinestrut consensus?

Comments

• Co-sign... Next you'll have a Michael Berryman thread.
    You picked his best roles right there.

..and he's great in Souther Comfort.. That's one of Walter Hill's best films.

Crimewave finally was released in the UK only last year on DVD... Some great set pieces in that flick.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I always took Steve Buscemi as the king of the underrated supporting actors.

Also Don Cheadle (Though he is starting to get his shine on... Also he should be in the worst accent thread for his brit one in Ocean's 11/12)

• I always took Steve Buscemi as the king of the underrated supporting actors.

Same with John C Reilly, except perhaps he's not that underrated.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Dude should have won an Oscar for Con-Air!!! But seriously, I'm a serious Buscemi fan and if you want to see a couple of his early low budget flicks I reccomend "Trees Lounge" and "Searching For One-Eyed Jimmy"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Danny Trejo, Luis Guzman and Joe Pantoliano are big faves in our house.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Dude should have won an Oscar for Con-Air!!! But seriously, I'm a serious Buscemi fan and if you want to see a couple of his early low budget flicks I reccomend "Trees Lounge" and "Searching For One-Eyed Jimmy"

Massive co-sign on the Search for One-Eye Jimmy". A ultra-low budget film with a super cast. I lent my VHS copy to someone years ago and haven't seen it since.

• I always took Steve Buscemi as the king of the underrated supporting actors.

Massive co-sign on the Search for One-Eye Jimmy". A ultra-low budget film with a super cast. I lent my VHS copy to someone years ago and haven't seen it since.

Disco Bean!!!

• Disco Bean!!!

I was going to mention this dude, super talented. Have you seen Five Corners with Jodie Foster and Tim Robbins? Dope movie!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Same with John C Reilly, except perhaps he's not that underrated.

Word and word. Both those dudes are stellar.

I also gotta give a shoutout to Peter Sarsgaard because he reps my section of Connecticut in an unembarassing way and he's a pretty dope actor. Plus he said this, which I can definitely get with: "It's important to not have too big a lifestyle because it compromises your decisions."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    With some supporting actors, I think it's kinda "we need a chinese guy, let's call our go-to-guy!"

James Hong, how many movies/tv shows has he been in? (Check out imdb, his list is pretty crazy). Peter Stormare is the "we need a mad Russian/German/Scandinavian/whatever guy", I think. God bless Sweden.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Peter Stormare is the "we need a mad Russian/German/Scandinavian/whatever guy", I think. God bless Sweden.

It's the same with guys like J??rgen Prochnow, Jeroen Krabbe or Alan Rickman. Always playing the stiff euro bad guy. Luckily one is reminded of what these guys can really do when you watch a guy like Prochnow in 'Das Boot'.

• With some supporting actors, I think it's kinda "we need a chinese guy, let's call our go-to-guy!"
    James Hong, how many movies/tv shows has he been in? (Check out imdb, his list is pretty crazy). Peter Stormare is the "we need a mad Russian/German/Scandinavian/whatever guy", I think. God bless Sweden.

James Hong is in those new Budwieser ads, with the kung fu master.

He has an internet presence...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not really under-rated; he's a critical darling... the New Yorker just ran a feature profile on him.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Luis Guzman

So under-rated!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Disco Bean!!!

I was going to mention this dude, super talented. Have you seen Five Corners with Jodie Foster and Tim Robbins? Dope movie!

Five Corners is a great movie, I love this one too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Not really under-rated; he's a critical darling... the New Yorker just ran a feature profile on him.

Yeah, I guess in the last 5 years or so.. But still, I don't think he gets enough shine. Probably cause he keeps doing those parts in Sandler movies (Though I found the first couple of times funny).

But for the average film goer, do they even know who he is? Or do they just say "Oh it's that guy!"? Could he ever lead a flick? Or is he destined (Which is part of the reason I say he's underrated) to be in supporting rolls forever?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Luis Guzman

So under-rated!

Major co-sign.

• philip seymour hoffman

• John Mahoney
    Phillip Baker Hall
    Kevin Corrigan

• i always liked jt walsh (rip) and the dude that played the bad warden in shawshank redemption.

also there is this guy xander berkeley who is in pretty much every other movie ever made in the last ten years.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

emmett walsh

• Good call, missbassie.

"Bill Parker? No, not that motherscratcher."

Another old school character actor that became a legend (in my mind) after Rob Zombie cast him:

• John Leguizamo

Maybe he gets more props in the states, but hardly anyone knows who he is when i mention him here.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Keith David
    Brendan Gleeson

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some of mine, off-top:

-David Morse (e.g., "Negotiator", "The Green Mile").
    -Shirley Knight (e.g., "Ya Ya, Sisterhood", "Indictment").
    -Michael Biehn (e.g., "Tombstone", "The Abyss", "Terminator").
    -Mercedes Ruehl (e.g., "Married to the Mob", "Indictment").
    -Gena Rowlands (e.g, "Hysterical Blindness", "The Notebook").
    -Ben Gazzara (e.g., "Buffalo 66", "Hysterical Blindness").
    -Bill Pullman (e.g,. "While You Were Sleeping", "Liebestraum").

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• snosno 332 Posts
    William Forsythe
    Ken Foree
    Michael Madsen

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    William Forsythe

Ken Foree

Michael Madsen

Did anyone see the Michael Madsen cribs. His pad was the most busted joint since Redman got loose.

BTW Ben Gazzarra and Gena Rowlands were Hollywood leads at one point. They're living out their senior years as character actors. It's a different situation from Luis Guzman.

Check out Luis busting the Udonis Haslem and rocking the half tee. Treacherous, indeed.

• Luis Guzman
    that's my dog!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

-Clifton Powell.

-Gary Sinise.

-Marcia Gay Harden.

-Bruce Dern (old school pick).

-Yaphet Kotto (old school pick).

-Ruben Blades.

-cosign on Clancy Brown (Lieutenant Hadley in "Shawshank").

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak