Fania Label Czech

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Gypsy Woman, Subway Joe and Riot were all recorded within two years of one another. Gypsy Woman was recorded in 66, released in 67, I think Subway Joe was recorded and released in 67 and Riot was recorded in 67, released in 68.

There is a LOT of mistaken info on Joe out there which I've steadily been discovering - for example, I read one where it said that Joe FOUNDED Fania along with Pacheco and Masucci. THis, of course, is not true. Bataan wasn't even remotely the first to get signed to Fania - Willie Colon, Bobby Valentin and others have him beat on that though I think Barretto came aboard after Bataan did.

Also, almost every single bio I've seen also said that Joe's birth name was "Peter Nitollano." Peter was his dad. Joe's birth name was Bataan Nitollano. Spread the word.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    very interesting that there is so much misinformation on Bataan, any particular reason why?
    also, are the unreleased records rumors too?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    very interesting that there is so much misinformation on Bataan, any particular reason why?

Because the salsa scene hasn't been covered in-depth by the music mags that much?

The UK magazine Black Music had a really informative story on him in (I think) '76.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

How many gold label Fania pieces do you have so far Young Pimpin'? And what titles?

One: a Joe Bataan "Gypsy Woman/So Fine" 45. The only pieces I really want right now, though, are Subway Joe and Gypsy Woman, but much of the catalog has yet to grace my ears, so my (really) want list is sure to expand.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

How many gold label Fania pieces do you have so far Young Pimpin'? And what titles?
    One: a Joe Bataan "Gypsy Woman/So Fine" 45. The only pieces I
    really want right now, though, are Subway Joe and Gypsy Woman, but much of the catalog has yet to grace my ears, so my (really) want list is sure to expand.

Well, I guess that's a good start.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What would be considered the definitive Bataan Fania release??

All I've got is MR NEW YORK (which was sealed BTW, I forgot to mention in that thread) and a copy of RIOT! thats so destroyed its basically unplayable

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What would be considered the definitive Bataan Fania release??

All I've got is MR NEW YORK (which was sealed BTW, I forgot to mention in that thread) and a copy of RIOT! thats so destroyed its basically unplayable

I like Gypsey Woman.

Other people might say Subway Joe or Riot.