Broken Flowers sndtk: Ethiopian Jazz rec some plz?

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    snag- while the record pictured above is commonly available as an exact vinyl reissue, its never been pressed on CD in that form

I *think* one of the Eithiopiques has most or all of that album, but they may have spread it out over multiple volumes... either look up the individual titles yourself, or wait for someone more knowledgable on the CDs to drop science.

that mulatu LP in the pic is a US only release. NY label, worthy. THere was a boot of it about a while back, and of one of the other LPs he did on that label. There are 3, and a 45 EP which is on a different label, but same people. He didi them in the states with american musicians, none of that material had ethiopian releases, and none of it is featured on any of the Ethiopiques CDs, which are all ethio-only release stuff.

Damn, I had no idea that was US-exclusive material...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    that mulatu LP in the pic is a US only release. NY label, worthy. THere was a boot of it about a while back, and of one of the other LPs he did on that label. There are 3, and a 45 EP which is on a different label, but same people. He didi them in the states with american musicians, none of that material had ethiopian releases, and none of it is featured on any of the Ethiopiques CDs, which are all ethio-only release stuff.

wow, good to know, thanks for the extensive info. i was under the impression that the "mulatu of ethiopia" was a cd release also (hence my search on amazon), but i guess not. the search for the lp is on.

as far as the ethiopiques series, if i'm looking for intstrumental stuff, is volume 8 a good follow up to volume 4?

as far as the ethiopiques series, if i'm looking for intstrumental stuff, is volume 8 a good follow up to volume 4?

Pretty sure Vol 8 is the one they'd always play at local restaurant Abysinnia- SERIOUSLY facemelting if thats the one (and instrumental from what I recall)

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

wow, good to know, thanks for the extensive info. i was under the impression that the "mulatu of ethiopia" was a cd release also (hence my search on amazon), but i guess not. the search for the lp is on.

I remember losing an auction for the lp (big surprise) and then getting pmed by a respected seller on ebay about buying another copy for a little less than what the other auction went for. Needless to say I jumped on the opportunity, and now rock the og with pride. Such a good album.

• RezRez 164 Posts
    [there's a mulatu polish 80s album but i heard it wasn't that great

Don't buy the Polish piece - it sucks..badly...

Rez

• nah 8 isn't instrumental, theres very little instrumental stuff, and its all almost all mulatu as far as I am aware, and almost all of it is on vol. 4. * is killer though, fucking wrong murderation all day, i love that shit

there are some other instrumental things out of ethiopia, like emnete, but hardly any at all, and they are mostly connected to mulatu anyway. I can only think of three other ('modern' music) instrumental releases in ethiopia, 2 are Mulatu related.

the vocal stuff is really whats up though,

are you the francis who compiled the ethiopiques? if so, thank you, thank you , thank you an infinite amount of times. some of the best music i've ever heard that i've ever heard.