Broken Flowers sndtk: Ethiopian Jazz rec some plz?

idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Saw the film. Bought the soundtrack. Jarmusch is on the money.Loved the Mulatu Astatke[/b] tracks so I bought this re-issue 10". Great stuff.I know crap all about this genre. Is that Ethiopiques album a good place to start?I know some of you saw Mulatu when he toured over there. So any recommendations.

Comments

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    cdnt agree more, that 10" is brainmelting

and yes on that ethiopiques

get this as well (they have both been reissued, check dustygroove.com)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Buy this one

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    And this

There's over 20 CD's in the Ethiopiques series.

• for the ethiopiques start with vol 4 (instrumental mulatu stuff), 8, 1 and 3.
    also, the mulatu of ethiopia album, the 2 afro latin ones. there's a mulatu polish 80s album but i heard it wasn't that great. loads of 45s.

• Thanks guys.
    Great to discover another genre. Or I just need a push.
    Will investigate.

20 in the series? Vol 4 here I come.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    IP - I can lace you a copy of Will Holland & Miles Cleret's afrofunk mix (quite a few cuts off those Ghana sounds comps on there in between other tings) & ethipiques vol 4 .. if your addy has changed PM me, otherwise it'll be all go

• Thanks guys.
    Will investigate.

Yup vol. 4 is the one with tracks from "broken flowers"... should make you happy!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    dont sleep on mahmoud ahmed.... not instrumental and his voice is a little much at first, but once you get into it its fantastic. etiopiques 19, 1, couple others.

• IP - I can lace you a copy of Will Holland & Miles Cleret's afrofunk mix (quite a few cuts off those Ghana sounds comps on there in between other tings) & ethipiques vol 4 .. if your addy has changed PM me, otherwise it'll be all go

Ooh sounds very nice. Address is the same.
    You need anything?

Yeah, I can still hear 'Yegelle Tezeta' in my head right now. Except instead of visualizing a bunch of Ethiopian jazz cats in a smokey bar, I have the image of Bill Murray driving around on US freeways...
    Cultural misplacement no doubt.

• Thanks guys.
    Will investigate.

Yup vol. 4 is the one with tracks from "broken flowers"... should make you happy!

I've had that Vol. 4 on regular rotation for about 10 years now. Maybe the best 15 bucks I've ever spent?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    IP - I can lace you a copy of Will Holland & Miles Cleret's afrofunk mix (quite a few cuts off those Ghana sounds comps on there in between other tings) & ethipiques vol 4 .. if your addy has changed PM me, otherwise it'll be all go

You need anything?

rightio ... unless you have a copy of Charlie Munro's Eastern Horizon's I'm cool - got to get to those 20 12" cuts you upped !!

• dont sleep on mahmoud ahmed.... not instrumental and his voice is a little much at first, but once you get into it its fantastic. etiopiques 19, 1, couple others.

I'll have to suss out if I can get Mahmoud Ahmed locally. Though Amazon looks to have them, except for the one pictured above.

I actually recall reading a review in SNC about this one...

Okay, I'm sold on Ethipoques Vol 4. Damn, it gets 5 stars from all the customers. & from here.

• IP - I can lace you a copy of Will Holland & Miles Cleret's afrofunk mix (quite a few cuts off those Ghana sounds comps on there in between other tings) & ethipiques vol 4 .. if your addy has changed PM me, otherwise it'll be all go

You need anything?

rightio ... unless you have a copy of Charlie Munro's Eastern Horizon's I'm cool - got to get to those 20 12" cuts you upped !!

No Charlie Munro. I never see much Aussie jazz stuff around in my neighbourhood. ????

...and those 12" couldn't be any further from Ethiopian jazz if they tried. Good to have a wide taste. Ha ha!

• i watched this film today and the soundtrack completely overshadowed the film.

damn lolita needed a shave too..looked like don king doing a handstand.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    this film was fucking garbage..

• this film was fucking garbage..

Because..?

• this film was fucking garbage..

Because..?

Yeah, I really enjoyed this film. I'll admit I was a bit thrown off by the abrupt ending but in retrospect, I thought it was really well done and I look forward to seeing it again.

And I thought the Mulatu songs in the soundtrack complimented the minimal dialogue style nicely. I liked how it almost seemed like they structured a lot of the film around the music---or, with the music in mind.

But everyone's got their opinions, I guess. That's just mine.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Gotta love Soundway for putting out stuff like Mulatu (the 10" is a teaser for a comp, I think). So much good african music, so hard to learn anything about it. If you get the chance you need to go see Miles Cleret DJ, he plays that afrobeat you've never heard that's straight

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    If you get the chance you need to go see Miles Cleret DJ, he plays that afrobeat you've never heard that's straight

damn, i need to hear this

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

plaese to elaborate

• Buy this one

such an amazing album. it's been reissued on vinyl by some french label. also it's on ethipiopiques 7 in its entirety with bonus tracks that i need to hear.

• If you get the chance you need to go see Miles Cleret DJ, he plays that afrobeat you've never heard that's straight

go to toronto in a couple of months.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    If you get the chance you need to go see Miles Cleret DJ, he plays that afrobeat you've never heard that's straight

go to toronto in a couple of months.

accepting donations for airfare from austin to toronto

no us dates?

• Options
    No, I belive he's just coming here to play Turning Point in March. It will be good to see him again.

Believe it or not, he has some competition here.

I have his first party here (with AMC W) on 3 cd's....and part of it's up on www.ducktape.ca if you're interested.

NExt Turning Point is this Saturday Jan 21st for those around.

Easy, Kevin in Toronto.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Just heard some mahmoud ahmed at the local Ethiopian spot. Meskeret just off the strip. Good eats. Maybe thinking of reviving a night there. Spinning mulatu for hipsters. nice.

- spidey

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    DO NOT SLEEP on Tilahun Gessesse.

• Options
    THere's some good African records from LA.

, K.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

plaese to elaborate

i was also very disappointed with the film. i've seen everything that Jarmusch has ever put out (including some of the material which he included in Coffee & Cigarattes which was actually old footage), been a huge fan for a long time, have a certain soft spot for his work, the michigan connection and whatnot, etc.

but i thought that this last one was completely lacking. i have always dug his pacing, the slow pans, brilliant cinematography, but this film was a complete dud. no substance, bill murray's character was contrived and frankly, boring... it seemed to be a film more about the soundtrack than anything else, and i didn't think that even fit right.

• the polish mulatu LP is shit. steer well clear should you ever see one, goes (occasionally) on teh bay for round about $50, rare but shit.

the Crammed discs Mahmoud LP (crammed/ hannibal, 1984? i think) is much better than the recent l'arome one pictured above too, much better I'd say. I can post pics of some ethio gear later if anyone wants to see some mahmoud/ mulatu/ tilahun etc etc OGs, I put some up a while ago but I took them down a while back

thanks for the warning. had heard it was bunk, but not by someone who'd heard it.

i thought the l'arome one was a reprint of the crammed one? or are you saying it's much better in terms of sound quality?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    And this

There's over 20 CD's in the Ethiopiques series.

did the mulatu of ethiopia get a u.s. release? it's not on amazon...is it in print still?

picked up ethiopiques vol 4 this weekend and it is ridiculously fucking good. so is volume 8 a good next move?