Goats - Tricks of the Shade

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Picked this up today. Didn't have any knowledge about them, I just liked the cover art. I'm listening to the first tracks now, and sound alright. Who are they?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Oatie Kato, Madd & Swayzack. I believe they were from Philly if memory serves me right.

It was all about Chicken Little and Hangerhead...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    They had two albums out... Tricks Of The Shade and No Goats, No Glory (which had some real funny interludes)... kinda rap for the mainstream at the time... lots of rock kids liked it...

"I'm Not Your Typical American" made a little noise at the time...

peace.

• They had two albums out... Tricks Of The Shade and No Goats, No Glory (which had some real funny interludes)... kinda rap for the mainstream at the time... lots of rock kids liked it...

peace.

word on all of the above - out of philly, and did the live band hip hop thing before the roots blew up. From what I remember and heard, they were all in the same scene though. Cosmo could probably shed a lot more light on it. Very political too.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    opened up for those cats twice in the 90's....peace. pres.

• They had two albums out... Tricks Of The Shade and No Goats, No Glory (which had some real funny interludes)... kinda rap for the mainstream at the time... lots of rock kids liked it...

peace.

word on all of the above - out of philly, and did the live band hip hop thing before the roots blew up. From what I remember and heard, they were all in the same scene though. Cosmo could probably shed a lot more light on it. Very political too.

I went to see them at the Trocadero when I was like 14 or 15. I liked No Goats No Glory a lot at the time, but mostly because it was all about drugs and so was I. They never actually came out on stage at the show. They broke up shortly after.

• I think they did that live hip hop band thing well.
    Imagine if The Pharcyde had angsty ridden political lyrics.. Kinda.
    'Do the Digs Dug' still stays in my mind... That track was pretty cool.

I was trying to remember if Joe the Butcher worked on it... & whoah I did not expect to find this via googling...
    http://jimmyluxury.com/thegoats.htm

• & whoah I did not expect to find this via googling...
    http://jimmyluxury.com/thegoats.htm

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yes. they were all writers from philly. i went up to see them in 92 or 93 and also saw a little group called "square roots" who ended up being the roots.

i always liked the track "tricks of the trade." the bells, and that verse about christopher columbus had me real .

• I celebrate their entire wardrobe

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Picked up the Goats Tricks of the Shade & pharcyde bizzare ride at the same time when they first came out on import. I'd never heard of either before but the covers won me over. I went home & played them back to back & was blown away. Wish that happened more often.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Picked up the Goats Tricks of the Shade & pharcyde bizzare ride at the same time when they first came out on import. I'd never heard of either before but the covers won me over. I went home & played them back to back & was blown away. Wish that happened more often.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I always found the beats to be real great (especially wake and bake which is on tricks of the shade unless I'm mistaken?) but the MC's to be just terrible.

I would welcome with open arms a Goats instrumentals.

• I always found the beats to be real great (especially wake and bake which is on tricks of the shade unless I'm mistaken?) but the MC's to be just terrible.

I would welcome with open arms a Goats instrumentals.

Wake and Bake was on No Goats No Glory

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Tricks of the shade was a good album. I remember digging it but the skits were annoying as they usually are. Between every track they would diss President Bush (sr.) Get rid of the skits and I like the album. I never heard their second album but I did pass it up at blue note in miami.

• ???Typical American??? was probably their finest moment.
    Though there were a handful of good tracks on the album.

Hated the skitz.

Never checked the follow up.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts

Nice.

I've heard the whole album now. I'm liking it. It only cost me 3 dollars, so I'm happy.

• ahhh, this brings back good memories of early fuckings with weeds and beers, writing on shit and getting me a phillies tshirt from untitled.

• I celebrate their entire wardrobe

havent seeen that shirt in a loong time.
    those dudes were always around for a while. especialy max. at every party. i hung out with chicken little (i think his name was gene) and swayzack one night when i was real young and we got real drunk and they punched this kid in the head who was fucking with a bum near south street (that fire hazard spot at broad and lombard that used to have parties). they were bigger than the roots and like delay said, the square roots and foreign objects crew used to open up things. i remember a show in an old gym with cosmo on the wheels...must have been about 14 years ago? they got quickly and rightfully eclipsed by the roots, but they had their 15 minutes of stardom.

and do the digs dug was indeed thorough.

• i was always partial to got kinda hi from the first album. used to wear out my ff button goin thru those skits though.

i might have a dub of wake n bake, instrumental is on there.