Recommend me some Jazz LP’s

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bennie Maupin - The Jewel in the Lotus

• I like Izipho Zan a lot, but I'd have a hard time justifying why someone should pay $60-90 for it over paying $10 for any of his other Impulses if they didn't have those already. At least that India Nav lp sounds fairly different than most of his stuff... as great as Izipho Zan is, it follows the same basic template as most of his Impulse lp's do.

Double True.

• I've been having the hardest time tracking a copy down for a reasonable price. Anyone got a spare they wouldn't mind parting with?

Haven't seen you in the shop for quite some time but it's on the wall.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I like Izipho Zan a lot, but I'd have a hard time justifying why someone should pay $60-90 for it over paying $10 for any of his other Impulses if they didn't have those already. At least that India Nav lp sounds fairly different than most of his stuff... as great as Izipho Zan is, it follows the same basic template as most of his Impulse lp's do.
    Word up. Thanks nickj and Dan

• I've been having the hardest time tracking a copy down for a reasonable price. Anyone got a spare they wouldn't mind parting with?

Haven't seen you in the shop for quite some time but it's on the wall.

I've been out of town for a while and having moving woes, but I'm definitely going to have to make it down soon. You always have something I need (and you're not that far from Guss' Pickles...a win-win).

• Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam

I read somewhere that this record is overrated. The $90 that it usually sells for is way too much. Are these statements fairly accurate?

I definitely don't think it is worth $90, but I also really never spend that kind of money on records (aside from the Heatrock auction). I found mine for $7 and I feel like I see it for decent amounts often.

That being said, it is truly a great album. I think it is one of his best and one of the best Strata releases as well (although, there are still quite a few I haven't heard).

I'll keep an eye out for another copy...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I like Izipho Zan a lot, but I'd have a hard time justifying why someone should pay $60-90 for it over paying $10 for any of his other Impulses if they didn't have those already. At least that India Nav lp sounds fairly different than most of his stuff... as great as Izipho Zan is, it follows the same basic template as most of his Impulse lp's do.

I aggree with the above sentiment wholeheartedly.

• I like Izipho Zan a lot, but I'd have a hard time justifying why someone should pay $60-90 for it over paying $10 for any of his other Impulses if they didn't have those already. At least that India Nav lp sounds fairly different than most of his stuff... as great as Izipho Zan is, it follows the same basic template as most of his Impulse lp's do.

I aggree with the above sentiment wholeheartedly.

I think it sits up there with Karma and Jewels of Thought, in terms of his Impulse output.

• And I'd say Eddie Gale's "Ghetto Music," but I've been having the hardest time tracking a copy down for a reasonable price. Anyone got a spare they wouldn't mind parting with?

what price do you condsider reasonable? i got mine from ebay for like 60 bucks. don't sleep on "Black Rhythm Happening" though. i found it at an LA spot for 20 bucks. it seems to go for not much more on ebay, even though it's an excellent album (elvin jones on drums too).