Top 5 real headz records you need in your life

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Tell dude to get ahold of that and reissue it. All these would fall over themselves to buy it and dude would get dollars.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Archie Whitewater

Sorry to chime in on this, this being my first post and all, but this was my cousin's band (Tony Vece, the bass player, second from the right on the top row if you're looking at the album cover).

He finally gave me a copy of this for Christmas before informing me that he has a whole album of Archie Whitewater material that was never released (as Cadet folded) on reel to reel. He's trying to find that stuff for me.

a great record.

A true moment?

Welcome to SoulStrut!

SG

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Archie Whitewater

Sorry to chime in on this, this being my first post and all, but this was my cousin's band (Tony Vece, the bass player, second from the right on the top row if you're looking at the album cover).

He finally gave me a copy of this for Christmas before informing me that he has a whole album of Archie Whitewater material that was never released (as Cadet folded) on reel to reel. He's trying to find that stuff for me.

a great record.

best first post ever!

Indeed... And people say the newbie intrusion is weaksauce... I HAVE FAITH!

BTW Welcome!

• whuuua??! I just spit out my cranberry juice! Tell Mr. Vece he's a genius please from me. Thanks

oh and please don't let him sell the tapes to anyone who will give it to thier in house producers to cut remixes of it plaese.

• boscoe - for god's sake. i know some kid on this site just picked this up at a goodwill in nebraska.

evan's pyramid lp!!!
    matthew larkin cassell lp!!!!
    everychosenfewrecordfromkevinspost.

a_______k has the east of underground (does he??) some one here has it, i will take shit for this but the record is overrated. great tunes on it, but a quick listen.

mr magic's be bop convention.
    disco godfather soundtrack.

phil flowers private lp (black and white with pencil drawing of the man)

family and friends lp on hilton's concept.

that 1984 45.

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts

Archie Whitewater

a great record.

best first post ever!

BTW Welcome!

thanks.

a brief story on the album cover:

The building in the picture is a burned out husk on 2nd ave. in NYC. It was formerly a hideout for the Hell's Angels. The building was a burned out husk because they burned a guy alive inside, thereby setting the whole building ablaze.

It was in this building that Archie Whitewater practiced.

The little guy in the pic was this Portuguese hobo that spoke no English, but used to hang around, get drunk, and vibe to their music...so they put him on the cover.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    boscoe - for god's sake. i know some kid on this site just picked this up at a goodwill in nebraska.

who?

• boscoe - for god's sake. i know some kid on this site just picked this up at a goodwill in nebraska.

who?

"....and how long does it take to drive there?" - NateBizzo

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Archie Whitewater

a great record.

best first post ever!

Just got this great weird feeling in my stomach when I read this...

Used this LP to break my $50 cherry about a year ago.

Seems like possibly someone like Egon at Stones Throw would be interested in reissuing something like this. If not, I'm sure there are other labels that would jump at the chance!

Been trying to compose a mix tape with Cross Country as the central theme (was actually going to post a separate thread about this) as I love that horn and vibes mood it sets. Been thinking of things like "The Man" by Patto and "People Make the World..." by Milt Jackson, but it's surprisingly difficult to find tracks that match Cross Country's unique vibe.

Definitely keep us informed!!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Archie Whitewater

a great record.

best first post ever!

BTW Welcome!

thanks.

The building in the picture is a burned out husk on 2nd ave. in NYC. It was formerly a hideout for the Hell's Angels. The building was a burned out husk because they burned a guy alive inside, thereby setting the whole building ablaze.

The little guy in the pic was this Portuguese hobo that spoke no English, but used to hang around, get drunk, and vibe to their music...so they put him on the cover.

Great info, thank you!

Any idea what the story is behind the girl superimposed on the hobo's chest?

evan's pyramid lp!!!
    matthew larkin cassell lp!!!!
    everychosenfewrecordfromkevinspost.

a_______k has the east of underground (does he??) some one here has it, i will take shit for this but the record is overrated. great tunes on it, but a quick listen.

Me? I used to own it, sold it for the HEATROCKS for $1500 to a well-known and very generous NYC producer/DJ. No regrets. Still listen to the mp3s maybe once a week.

• Arthur Verocai...
    co-sign. neeed that in my life

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts

Great info, thank you!

Any idea what the story is behind the girl superimposed on the hobo's chest?
    good question. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

The copy that my cousin gave me was one he actually had to purchase on ebay. He had one copy from back in the day, and then he bought another copy. He was surprized as hell to discover the prices the record was going for. He had no idea the record would be on anybody's 'want list.'

Interesting to note, he's not doing anything music related now. He's still got a few basses, plays around every now and again, but nothing serious.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    2 Real Headz records I brought into my life...

Ananda Shankar and His Music
    Exit 9

As for ones I need, I have a feeling NateBizzo's going to beat me to them

100% Pure Poison
    D.R. Hooker
    Boscoe
    Ball of Eyes
    Arthur Verocai

DJ Ferrari

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    -Boscoe (seems almost impossible now. I, like about 50 other people here, now have it on their wants list)

-FBI (Am I the only one that really dug this LP? Can I get a ?)

- Breif Encounter (Supergood's top 10 list is seriously my new wantlist. I just picked up that Lamont Dozier he hipped me too. and I grabbed that sunfire which was #1 on my real headz wants after he posted it.)

-Gemini (Yet another Supergood sureshot)

-Lou Ragland (I wanted this before, but now I need it)

• -FBI (Am I the only one that really dug this LP? Can I get a ?)

I'd say ??80 for the issue on Good Earth. There's also a different pressing that goes for bucks but not as much as the OG.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Hmmmmmm....
    A new comer....to the Soulstrut team owners - I think there are a few players that we can trade for this rookie. He can be started and some of the "veterans" can start warming that bench.

Squiiid - YOU ARE .

To Lotusland - about that MLC LP....close your eyes and wish real big - something might happen .

• This is a hilarious thread.

Yes, I'm going to post my top wants, so they can be added to the "real headz" public top top wants.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This is a hilarious thread.

Yes, I'm going to post my top wants, so they can be added to the "real headz" public top top wants.

That Damon "Songs of A Gypsy" just shot up to the top of my want list.

SHIT HOT FIYA. LP is a poop melter fo'fo'sho.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    East of Underground (Yeah Right)

My boy found a copy of this for a dollar a couple of months ago. The record is OK. Nothing too serious, in my opinion. Definitely not worth what people are paying for it.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    some of you are either lazy or extremely picky.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

My boy found a copy of this for a dollar a couple of months ago. The record is OK. Nothing too serious, in my opinion. Definitely not worth what people are paying for it.

BAN

• edubedub 715 Posts
    take that shit to

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Who drank my last bottle of MGD? It was in the salad crisper!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Placebo - 1973
    D.R.Hooker
    B**t**d Or***en*t* - M*n*l* P*e*e
    W*b***r Le*i* - Li** at **ub 7
    V****gu* - N**t D**r

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

-FBI ( Can I get a ?)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

is that a vitamin party?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

is that a vitamin party?
    It can't be. There ain't no minorities there.

• a brief story on the album cover:

Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing, i liked the hobo part a lot

/L

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

This seems to happen to any record that passes the $1000 mark. People pull the overhyped card. IMO that album is freaking ridiculously good. Recorded raw, great remakes of those classic songs, sweet soul harmonies, gritty funky instrumentation. If I had the money I wouldn't think twice.