House Mixtapes

protectthagoonsprotectthagoons 14 Posts
edited January 2006 in Music Talk
Yo Soul Strut Fam,Im looking to peep some house compilations (other then Hip House 1&2) anyone got some to reccomend...and for that matter...House records of interest!!!Post some house records you can reccomend!

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Cajmere ft. Dajae - You Got Me and Cajmere - Underground Goodies EP
    Paul Johnson - Welcome to the Warehouse EP
    Steve Silk Hurley - Jack Your Body
    and I think its Mark Imperial - Hypnotic House

I don't really know shit about house, but these are all pretty good to me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Somebody needs to do a good Jack Mix. Shit would be ill...

• Options
    Someday - Ce Ce Rogers

Truth (Marshall JEfferson) - Open Your Eyes

????? - So Glad

MArk ROgers - Twil;ight For Some

Jungle Wonz - The Jungle and Time Marches On

Adonis - No Way BAck

My Teenage Pop Music, K in Canada.

• for new/funky house look for "lady foursquare" she's got a few nice mixes

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I liked Jazzy Jeff's "In The House" mix from Soul Heaven.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    There's a pretty good 2LP compilation with Trax tracks.
    Think it's called Chicago Trax or something. Watch out!

• there's a site with loads of amazing house radio shows from the 80s. also had some amazing latin rascals mixes and some pete rock/marley marl mixes.
    unfortunately i can't remember what the site was. anyone?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    http://www.deephousepage.com/

this is the best site for near daily links to the best i ncurrent nudisco / cosmic / balaeric / house / disco goodies

www.djhistory.com/forum

• co-sign on www.deephousepage.com

for newer chi-town stylee, check DJ Sneak - House of Om

I also heard a live Derrick Carter and Mark Farina double cd (I think it is also on Om records), that was pretty slammin.

I'm working on a mix myself that should be done in a month or so. I'll post when its finished.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    newnatives

Laurin 0 - 39:30

J.Sonel 39:30 - end

http://www.newkularfamily.org/smq/newnatives12.16.mp3

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    do people still listen to deep house? is this still a relevant club sound?

smoothed out thudding beats with bongos and diluted divas?

yes sadly they still do...

and then there are also those who consider ron hardy / larry levan - DEEP HOUSE

its not all "jack your body" and its not all "seventh heaven" either but its all house music at the end of the day.

• Options
    You don't club in Fredericton, Dan?

Can someone take a guess at how many different forms of house there has been?

I remember in the 90's someone did a tree and there was 40 different branches...

What are people listening to now?

PS- I sold a minty OG of Armando - 100% Disin' You for around 60 bucks a bit back...

Any real house heat out there?

Someday - Ce Ce Rogers

Truth (Marshall JEfferson) - Open Your Eyes

????? - So Glad

MArk ROgers - Twil;ight For Some

Jungle Wonz - The Jungle and Time Marches On

Adonis - No Way BAck

My Teenage Pop Music, K in Canada.

Ha... I can remember buying a few of those from Starsound wayyyyy back in the day. Dude.. we're old... Good thing we both are aging well...

I can also remember droppin' Twilights for the first time and the place got fukkin' crazy hot and sweaty in 2 mins.

Kev, you really like that Rogers track huh? I've seen you post it a couple of times over the years... heh

• Options
    I dig the other tracks more, musically.

K.

I dig the other tracks more, musically.

K.

It's all good!

In honour of this thread I will be listening to nothing but classic house from 83-96 all day at work. Starting with Cajmere - Brighter Days

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

• do people still listen to deep house? is this still a relevant club sound?

www.satelliterecords.com

www.rhythmism.com

www.deephousepage.com

Yes, they still listen, and I am forced to listen to oom-cha oom-cha oom-cha 3 days a week at my (soon to be not) current job.

and DOR - as for heat, I'll take some pics at work on Thursday, cause they got the walls lined with 'raer house' records selling for upwards of $120 for a 12" (and the reissue of De La Soul "Potholes../Jenifa..." for $25 )

• do people still listen to deep house? is this still a relevant club sound?

www.satelliterecords.com

www.rhythmism.com

www.deephousepage.com

Yes, they still listen, and I am forced to listen to oom-cha oom-cha oom-cha 3 days a week at my (soon to be not) current job.

htop://www.dancetracks.com

Great store too. If your in the NYC area.

• htop://www.dancetracks.com

Great store too. If your in the NYC area.

co-sign - they got a lot of good classic disco and dance stuff, a bit pricey, but nice nonetheless.

and DOR - as for heat, I'll take some pics at work on Thursday, cause they got the walls lined with 'raer house' records selling for upwards of $120 for a 12" (and the reissue of De La Soul "Potholes../Jenifa..." for $25
    )

Sweet.. I lost interest in house around 96-97, so I'd be interested in what house is rare and sellin' 4 dollahs.

No disco 12" tho

Thx Heaps

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Here you go B***y,

I'll post side two soon!

Bad Boy Bill - Flashbacks mix tape.
    Attached files

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Swag UK always does it for me with their glitchy take on house. Their tracks are hot and their DJ mixes are damn good too... check out their latest mixes

SWAG - Sub Club mix

SWAG - Discolated Hip

I like the noisy rude trax they spin more than the discoey stuff, but it's all good...

K.

Here you go B***y,

I'll post side two soon!

Bad Boy Bill - Flashbacks mix tape.

Brother Chan... U R Dude... Thank you.. Goes well with ma Classic House only day!

But why doesn't the track listing say "Jack Intro" or something?

Ha.. Bill scratchin' on dez traXX

• Not too into house - but Green Velvet's "Preacher Man" is .

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Why do you lot like golden era's that much (regardless the genre) ? You hate on WMC (Miami) and boompty-boomp tunes yet crappy houserecords from the past with a pricetag receive mythical status ? Let's push things F O R W A R D.

Why do you lot like golden era's that much (regardless the genre) ? You hate on WMC (Miami) and boompty-boomp tunes yet crappy houserecords from the past with a pricetag receive mythical status ? Let's push things F O R W A R D.

I've never stated any hate towards WMC... Or any house music really!

As far as the whole "mythical status" deal. I'm curious as to what house records go for some dollars. I highly doubt that 99% of anything released in the last 5 years falls under this.

That said. Lets discuss house music and the "Future". Is there really any??? As far as labels and distribution goes... I think house music is probably the largest of the independent music forms to take a beating from mp3's and the digital age. And it's gonna take a real beating in the next 5 years. Sure, house DJ's are superstars and gettin' paid to play around the world. And there are a huge amount of people who goto parties & gigs. But I think the numbers that "buy" releases is falling at a huge rate. Be it 12" singles, CD's or even mp3's. The market is to small to support this and ur going to see the amount of releases drop evey year because of it.

But I'm no expert or anything. I sold house in it's glory years, so I guess I'm bias or something. I can remember selling 500 copies of a release on 12" no problem. Those dayz are long gone. Most average house music buyers are picking up DJ comps (With a ton of them being burnt CD boots) and I just don't think thats going to keep the industry rollin'

Sure there will always be good house music. But I don't think it will ever be like it once was.

But I dunno... I would be really interested getting someone like DJ Sneaks opinion on this.

well i for one am pretty shocked that there was as big a market for house in the 90's "glory days" as there was considering how much crap flooded the market.

sure numbers are down but whats getting released and what passes for house these days is pretty diverse and i think that's a good thing.