House Mixtapes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Compared to what passes for pop music now, I'll take those times back anyway...

K.

• Options
    ...and I don't think Billy ever said he doesn't like what house sounds like these days, just that he stopped collecting in the 90's.

K.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    well i for one am pretty shocked that there was as big a market for house in the 90's "glory days" as there was considering how much crap flooded the market.

sure numbers are down but whats getting released and what passes for house these days is pretty diverse and i think that's a good thing.

And I agree with what ur saying. But house music sales have always been a small market (relatively speaking). With a small percentage of releases getting picked up by majors and selling some real numbers.

Final scratch (Or whatever it was called before that) was first incorporated and used by house/techno/whatever DJ's. And in the end, I think it will do a crazy amount of damage to the house music industry (Which the effects have already started) and it's only going to get worse.

I'm not sayin' house music is dead or that it will be dead any time soon. But that the genre will have to go through some seriously rough times and somehow change it's way of making money for it to survive.

But then really, I'm not the one to talk on this. Someone that is trying to make a real living off it should speak. And I'm not talking about DJing... I'm talking about the dudes trying to keep their labels afloat.

...and I don't think Billy ever said he doesn't like what house sounds like these days, just that he stopped collecting in the 90's.

K.

Yeah, I should have stated that. Thx Kev...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Final scratch (Or whatever it was called before that) was first incorporated and used by house/techno/whatever DJ's. And in the end, I think it will do a crazy amount of damage to the house music industry (Which the effects have already started) and it's only going to get worse.

i agree with this but there is also the steadily rising $$$ digital download market which in house seems to already be gaining a foothold..

I'm not sayin' house music is dead or that it will be dead any time soon. But that the genre will have to go through some seriously rough times and somehow change it's way of making money for it to survive.

But then really, I'm not the one to tall on this. Someone that is trying to make a real living off it should speak. And I'm not talking about DJing... I'm talking about the dudes trying to keep their labels afloat.

well as i guy trying to keep a label afloat .. yes its scary how wacko the entire industry is these days. but at the same time its in a weird spot cause if anything i think its easier to sell weirder / more ecclectic releases now than it would have been even a few years ago.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    DOR speaks truth.

House/techno music, like many genres these days (from singer songwriter to DnB) is having to bend over and take it from other industries to survive. TV ads, movies, video games, hotels, you name it. They will promote or release your music as long as it helps push their product. Most people will try to play this game, producing muzak for commission, a minority will go back underground, but I can't see any reason why vinyl will continue in these genres.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

As far as the whole "mythical status" deal. I'm curious as to what house records go for some dollars.

I've seen Moodymann 12"es (even recent releases) go for around $100 on ebay. I still got 3 copies lying here of a recent 12" he released that i've seen go for $75 to $100. But he's probably indeed part of that small 1% that can pull this off.

i agree with this but there is also the steadily rising $$$ digital download market which in house seems to already be gaining a foothold..

But then really, I'm not the one to tall on this. Someone that is trying to make a real living off it should speak. And I'm not talking about DJing... I'm talking about the dudes trying to keep their labels afloat.

well as i guy trying to keep a label afloat .. yes its scary how wacko the entire industry is these days. but at the same time its in a weird spot cause if anything i think its easier to sell weirder / more ecclectic releases now than it would have been even a few years ago.

First, I wish you success in the future with ur endeavors. I really do.. Cause lawd knows, it's gonna be tough. But hard work usually pays off in anything someone does! I hope it does for you!

But like I just said. I don't hate on todays house. I just prefer the stuff from the dayz back. And since this board is mostly all about that old shit and the whole raer deal.. I wanted to talk about it for house. Cause nobody ever does. Probably cause alot on here think it's only music that ***'s like.

Another thing that worries me is things like this:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/10/060110164416.p4z0rnx6.html

And with house, I can see it hurting much larger than any of the other popular types of music out.

As far as the whole "mythical status" deal. I'm curious as to what house records go for some dollars.

I've seen Moodymann 12"es (even recent releases) go for around $100 on ebay. I still got 3 copies lying here of a recent 12" he released that i've seen go for $75 to $100. But he's probably indeed part of that small 1% that can pull this off.

Nice... Which 12's?

I've seen a couple of things in the last 5 years or so go for some dough. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a Sade white that was really hot... Very small pressing and the shit was crazy wicked.. I wish I could remember which song or who did it. Not sure if it ever did get released tho...

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

Nice... Which 12's?

I've seen a couple of things in the last 5 years or so go for some dough. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a Sade white that was really hot... Very small pressing and the shit was crazy wicked.. I wish I could remember which song or who did it. Not sure if it ever did get released tho...

Kenny Dixon (Moodyman) puts out mad white labels around Detroit. Prince edits are so so nice. I DJed a show he played at last Saturday. Stoopid fun.

Be on the lookout for the new Andres album too. Mohagani Music is really where it's at when it comes to the new House music. Also don't sleep on the Piranahead record that Mohagani is putting out. Mayfield "Kung Fu" cover.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Somebody needs to do a good Jack Mix. Shit would be ill...

Here you go B***y,

I'll post side two soon!

Bad Boy Bill - Flashbacks mix tape.

hahaha...wow, that brings back memories...I swear to god he just recycled one of his friday night mixes from WBMX for this tape because I swear to god I had this very same mix on tape, scratches and all, from like 87-88. I used to sit up and tape Bad Boy Bill and Ralphie Rosario and Mike Hitman Wilson and all those fools every friday and saturday night.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

Nice... Which 12's?

The one i got some copies of is Ampapella (KDJ33), some others that go for good cash on original pressing are Shades Of Jae, Tribute!, Shattered Dreams, the first KDJ release and Freaky Motherfucker (never seen this one for sale, but i imagine it goes for serious cash)