PArk SlOpe VS. Williamsburg

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the SF mission is nuts.

90 percent of San Fran is nutsgentrified! and then you got all the guilty kids of rich liberals "freeing" or "marching" for something over in Oakland and Berkley.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    kiss the good mexican food goodbye.

Pretty much... there's one spot that's authentic, in the back of a deli, but even that is pretty expensive.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

As for those folks who want prefab lofts, $25/plate restaurants, and boutique groceries in their own private ghetto, they can fly back to Michigan, Wisconsin, or Rockland County, NY.

This blanket stereotype to cast your arguement behind on is week imo.

Sure there are choads who come in to "slum" it and try to "vibe the scene" whilst trying to "find my ones self". It's way tuberterbeaux around the horn, but there are cheesy personalities everywhere. Easy to hate on those people, but I don't thing there are that many, truly, who fit this profile. It's a caricatchure.

The way cheeseballs have ruined trucker hats is another thing. I'll rock'em, fuck y'all, I grew up on a farm in Wisconsin. Those kids can relate. Castro hats are another thing.

But either way, Stop hating on head wear.

Silverlake = Williamsburg

thats what i was gonna say.

Like I said...it's getting there.

but really there's not partying going on here, dont let the cobrasnake fool ya!

That's so 2003, Ashton killed it, but it was for the best. So far this seems to be the frontrunner for essential headwear.

• Options
    That's so 2003, Ashton killed it, but it was for the best. So far this seems to be the frontrunner for essential headwear.

That's back again? Damn man, has it been 10 years already?

i'd like to take a moment to extend a formal apology for "settling" neighborhoods in brooklyn.

not that i honestly care all that much 'bout that... but i think you're oversimplifying gentrification.

who are the "artistic communities"?

In my mind, generally the first folks to gentrify a neighborhoods.
    Clear the air for the yuppies, and then they can bitch about gentrification and how they and... oh yeah, the community... have been displaced. Just look at SF around 2000... shit was like coffee table conversation everywhere you went. "OH, the gentrification... how terrible... the studios and performance spaces are being closed." Folks getting moved out from the start.

Well obviously there are people who move somewhere because they want to be part of something, and at the end of the day there are some very talented people in Wburg, just that they keep a low profile locally, ahem, burg strutters or are always on tour. But then there are also people who simply must live in the Williamsburg, daddy, and they generally pose around all day, and it's their spending patterns that bring in the gentrification.

What sucks is that many of the people who made the place cool are leaving.

Oh, and C**ie's closed over 2 years ago, was replaced by a nice but quiet lounge which has just been replaced by a rock bar with unbelievably cheesy paint job. It's called "The Levee". I thought about that, and for a bar, that's a bad name, coz if I remember my rock lyrics correctly, the levee is either dry or broke.

Selling c**e out of a place called c**ie's = so stupid it's brilliant.

I am willing to let people know where the new "c**ie's" is. You're not a proper hipster unless you learn how cut lines from Vice mag.

• Options
    Everything being what it is, I can't wait to move to WBurg in a month or so. I'm going to miss having the beach 5 minutes down the road and all, but it's only going to be 45 minutes instead. The whole hipster thing ain't shit to me, I'll be at Triple Crown most of the time because my homie from way back owns it, otherwise I'll be on my roof listening to music. I'm from Long Island and always will be, I laugh at some of these folls from here who move into BK and act like they've been there forever. Bitches have no sense of home.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    as woody said:

this world is not my home, i'm just passing through.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What's the San Bruno/Daly City of NY? The Richmod/Sunset?

• OXYCONTINOXYCONTIN 115 Posts
    silverlake = williamsburg
    highland park = bushwick
    echo park = greenpoint
    los feliz = ft. greene
    glendale = bay ridge
    atwater = clinton hill
    eagle rock = red hook

and[/b]

=[/b]

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Silverlake = Williamsburg

thats what i was gonna say.

Echo Park [/b] = Silverlake = Williamsburg in five years tops.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's the San Bruno/Daly City of NY? The Richmod/Sunset?

Richmond/Sunset = Bay Ridge/Sunset Park

San Bruno/DC = Flushing, Ozone Park, Woodhaven, etc (outer Queens)

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    What's the San Bruno/Daly City of NY?

San Bruno/DC = Flushing, Ozone Park, Woodhaven, etc (outer Queens)

oh i am so going to tell beverlie that you said daly city = flushing... shes going to be soooooo mad

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

That's back again? Damn man, has it been 10 years already?

Always the stylish choice![/b]

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Always the stylish choice![/b]

Off topic: My friend just smuggled a cigar from Cuba for me. How does one proceed to smoke it?

dr. tanya!!! be expectin a ringy-ring from me later...

Hey, I thought you fell off the planet!

jersey city and woodside is what beverlie said... growing up she said jamaica coulda been kinda like that too...

then again shes been gone for 7yrs

Jamaica is more like... East Oakland.

but without the lemon and avocado trees and those cute little bungalows. One problem with Left coast is you can't really tell if you're in the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time, or not... NYC's the opposite - even the hoods you can't afford look like shit.

• Jamaica is more like... East Oakland.

but without the lemon and avocado trees and those cute little bungalows. One problem with Left coast is you can't really tell if you're in the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time, or not... NYC's the opposite - even the hoods you can't afford look like shit.

So true. When I brought my grandmother through Williamsburg, she said, "this place looks like a dump." She grew up dirt poor in washington heights, so she knows a dump when she sees one. People try to compare it to wburg to soho, but it's not even close. There are so many beautiful buildings in soho, whereas there are so many vinyl-sided homes in wburg. Fort Greene on the other hand...

It's actually the run down bungalows (I had the misfortune of being out there the other day) that reminded me of the east.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    i appreciate all the rill world talk here fellas...
    whats up w/ 72nd - 145th broadway & amsterdam area...
    my partner out there tellin me if i want culture, ill kill myself in parkslop or wb...

thanks again in advance!

You're talking about three distinct neighborhoods there: Upper West Side, Morningside Heights, and Harlem. What do you want to know?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I'm partial to Hells Kitchen. My cousin has lived there for over 10 years and its where I usually stay. To me that neighborhood is New York. Nothing like Port Authority at 4 o'clock in the morning (although it used to be sketchier).

I'm partial to Hells Kitchen. My cousin has lived there for over 10 years and its where I usually stay. To me that neighborhood is New York. Nothing like Port Authority at 4 o'clock in the morning (although it used to be sketchier).

New York is changing...Hell's Kitchen is turning into the new Chelsea.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

New York is changing...Hell's Kitchen is turning into the new Chelsea.

I know. I remember running around Times Square in 1979 when I was 17 and it was like going to another planet. Hells Kitchen still has a little grit but the yuppies have been moving in the last few years.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    What do you want to know?

good place to live?

What do you want to know?

good place to live?

The UWS is fine, but you're going to run into your fair share of crusty old people and young families (with occasional 'pockets' of people living in rent-controlled/affordable housing). More yuppies live on the UES, but it's like a big frat party. It's unlikely you're going to find much in the way of housing in Morningside Heights if you're not connected to Columbia. Above 125th Street, the area gets more Dominican (it's also referred to as Hamilton Heights). We have friends who live on 145th and Amsterdam; a lot of the housing is affordable and newly renovated, but I think the neighborhood can be a little on the noisy side in the summer time (ours, too). I don't know what the "official" demarcation is, but I think of 158th and above as Washington Heights.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

You're talking about three distinct neighborhoods there: Upper West Side, Morningside Heights, and Harlem. What do you want to know?

George Carlin used to a great riff on how he and his pals grew up in Morningside Heights, but decided to call it "White Harlem" instead...