Behind The Beat

SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
edited January 2006 in DJ Talk / Mixes
Anyone had the chance to take a look at this book ?It consist of pictures of various hip hop home studio, from the simple room filled with records and an MPC, to Primo's Headquarters.It covers producers from California to Australia and UK.And there are a couple of stutters in it !

Comments

• Yeah, I bought it for my brother for Christmas.
    $30 @ Urban Outfitters.
    Todda put me up on it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i saw it in UO. kind of looks like one of these "post pics of your setup" threads.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    and its made by australians too.

dope book.

• Good to see this getting the attention it deserves.
    We are proud of Raph's efforts. Let's hope someone here checks his upcoming album out as well.
    His crew Mnemonic Ascent are one of our best.

Anyone seen that XLR8/Adidas Bedroom Rockers book? Similiar idea.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i saw it in UO. kind of looks like one of these "post pics of your setup" threads.
    yeah. I was sorely disappointed with it. I thought it was producers discussing how they made beats etc.... This is just shit for dudes to show off.

• i saw it in UO. kind of looks like one of these "post pics of your setup" threads.
    Er..and what is wrong with that..?

yeah. I was sorely disappointed with it. I thought it was producers discussing how they made beats etc.... This is just shit for dudes to show off.
    That would be a different[/b] book. This one is a photographic[/b] book by a one time skate photographer.
    Dudes weren't showing off. If someone takes flicks of different mechanics workshops, are they showing off? It's more like, 'here's the environment in which they work in' type of deal.

I have a few friends in it & none of them have that type of ego. They could care less about flossing.

Yeah i'm biased, dude is a friend. He spent a long time & a lot stress to get it done.
    First print run has sold out. So whatever exists in stores at the moment is all there is.

That would be a different[/b] book. This one is a photographic[/b] book by a one time skate photographer.
    Dudes weren't showing off. If someone takes flicks of different mechanics workshops, are they showing off? It's more like, 'here's the environment in which they work in' type of deal.

I have a few friends in it & none of them have that type of ego. They could care less about flossing.

Yeah i'm biased, dude is a friend. He spent a long time & a lot stress to get it done.
    First print run has sold out. So whatever exists in stores at the moment is all there is.

slow your roll. Not dissing. Its put together well. I guess I just dont care about what some other dude has thats all.

• i saw it in UO. kind of looks like one of these "post pics of your setup" threads.

slow your roll. Not dissing. Its put together well. I guess I just dont care about what some other dude has thats all.

I'm probably looking at the forest (the actual photograph) & you are probably looking at the trees (equipment in photographs). I just thought it was obvious that it was a 'photographic' book more than an indepth technical breakdown by producers. I didn't think you were dissing, it just sounded like you expected it to be something it wasn't. You obviously didn't know beforehand.

All good bro...

, it just sounded like you expected it to be something it wasn't. You obviously didn't know beforehand.

All good bro...

right. I did not at all expect it to be what it was. I was told by someone else that the book was about the producing process.. My moms copped me the book and when I got it I was disappointed.

However, with that said, I only looked at it once. It wouldnt hurt to revisit it with a different mindset.

• jay dee has the least amount of equipment in the whole book, yet he's the most talented producer in the book, funny how that works.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    nice book with a great underground feel to a creeping surface subject to the typical world.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    nice book with a great underground feel to a creeping surface subject to the typical world.

• jay dee has the least amount of equipment in the whole book, yet he's the most talented producer in the book[/b] , funny how that works.
    WHAT!?![/b]
    DJ Premier, Madlib, DJ Spinna, E- Swift, Kut masta kurt, Beatminerz, DJ Shadow, DJ design, Dan the Automator, Chief Xcel, Young Einstein, Numark, Cut chemist, Thes One, J Zone and Mario Caldato Jr.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    jay dee has the least amount of equipment in the whole book, yet he's the most talented producer in the book[/b] , funny how that works.
    WHAT!?![/b]
    DJ Premier, Madlib, DJ Spinna, E- Swift, Kut masta kurt, Beatminerz, DJ Shadow, DJ design, Dan the Automator, Chief Xcel, Young Einstein, Numark, Cut chemist, Thes One, J Zone and Mario Caldato Jr.

Don't you know that Jay Dee invented hip-hop production? Geez.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

what not to your taste?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

yeah, I've been using that alot lately myself.

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts
    jay dee has the least amount of equipment in the whole book, yet he's the most talented producer in the book, funny how that works.

Thats cause he just moved out to L.A., Thats not all of his shit.

• jay dee has the least amount of equipment in the whole book, yet he's the most talented producer in the book[/b] , funny how that works.
    WHAT!?![/b]

many a greats came before dilla, many of producers have more classic albums.....noone is better than him at constructing hiphop beats however.

WHAT!?![/b]

many a greats came before dilla, many of producers have more classic albums.....noone is better than him at constructing hiphop beats however.

Yeah but you seriously cannot tell me that the track 'Movement', he did on the 26K compilation with Common is good. The one that samples Man Parrish's 'Boogie Down Bronx' & I think it was the Subs drums. It just sounds all wonky to me. BDB key stabs just don't work for me at all on that one. Unnerves me for some reason.

jay dee has the least amount of equipment in the whole book, yet he's the most talented producer in the book[/b] , funny how that works.
    WHAT!?![/b]

well lets get real. Only 3 people are better producers than Jay Dee overall:

Dan the Automator,Mario Caldato Jr., & DJ Shadow. That is only because their body of work extends outside of Hip hop.

as far as straight hip hop is concerned Dilla sons them all.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    havent we learned that an argument based on OPINION, never turns out well on soulstrut. just walk away, boys.

and for the record... you should never use this: after you yourself did the so-called "sonning." that's just bad taste.

and for the record... you should never use this: after you yourself did the so-called "sonning." that's just bad taste.

and even more so when its your 12th post.

WHAT!?![/b]

Yeah but you seriously cannot tell me that the track 'Movement', he did on the 26K compilation with Common is good. The one that samples Man Parrish's 'Boogie Down Bronx' & I think it was the Subs drums. It just sounds all wonky to me. BDB key stabs just don't work for me at all on that one. Unnerves me for some reason.

you hear how he had the subs drums sounding on that beat????? man oh man.

WHAT!?![/b]

Dan the Automator,Mario Caldato Jr., & DJ Shadow. That is only because their body of work extends outside of Hip hop.

dilla has production outside of hiphop as well as those 3 people.

• and for the record... you should never use this: after you yourself did the so-called "sonning." that's just bad taste.

Let me step up

Woo hoo! Always wanted to do that

WHAT!?![/b]

yeah but not much and not as good.

dude. stop riding his dick so hard. I am saying that yes, he is the best hip hop producer listed out of those people. I am also saying that Mario C is a better ALL AROUND producer. I am in no way dissin dilla.

WHAT!?![/b]

yeah but not much and not as good.

dude. stop riding his dick so hard. I am saying that yes, he is the best hip hop producer listed out of those people. I am also saying that Mario C is a better ALL AROUND producer. I am in no way dissin dilla.

i know, i've just never heard *anyone* say mario c is a better producer than jay dee...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    can someone, anyone explain how they came to the conclusion that Jay Dee is the best hip hop producer?

I'm not trying to even argue the point, I just wanna see what you guys are seeing.

i know, i've just never heard *anyone* say mario c is a better producer than jay dee...

http://www.mariocaldatojr.com/enter_disco.html

check his discog.

Im saying he is more versitile.

So blindly following Dilla is

I would seriously like to hear the comparison between a J-dilla produced Seu Jorge Lp and a Mario C lp..

can someone, anyone explain how they came to the conclusion that Jay Dee is the best hip hop producer?

I'm not trying to even argue the point, I just wanna see what you guys are seeing.

he is innovative thats for sure.

but this "he is a better producer than anyone" attitude is crap.