SAD BASTARD MUSIC (JACK BLACK HI FIDELITY REC R)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Hi guys. Fat gEORGE cLOONEY.

What do you consider "Sad Bastard Music," i.e., when the Jack Black character attacks the other shopworkers/customers over liking Radiohead?

Hi. Sometimes I think The Smiths can be lumped into this category, hah... and private loner folk?

hi

-M

ps: Bun B claims to blast Radiohead in one of the vehicles he owns in the latest issue of Scratch (with Nas and Primo on the cover)

pps: I kind of like The Smiths and Radiohead and most "Sad Bastard Music." Hate me now.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Does RUSH count, or are they just "wannabe musician" music?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Jandek?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Jandek?

YES

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    How about Nick Cave?

true

TINDERSTICKS?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    slowdive?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Sad bastard music makes me think of- Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, Iron and Wine etc.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm actually just listening to Dave Van Ronk's version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" (actually, called "Clouds"). I just snagged the Verve/Folkways 45, and folks, let me tell you: this is the best version of this song you will ever hear. So beautiful and so necessary. Van Ronk has about the best grasp of vocal timing and structure of any cats I've ever heard, and he Drakes it up here to great effect. Pick it up, and you won't regret it.

• My partner's favorite band, The Cure

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    And anyone heretofore dissing Sam Beam will get it smack in the kisser from me. Sam is a beautiful man, and I celebrate (and own, including the singles and comped OGs) his entire catalogue. Southern like kudzu, and honest like rain.

The Cure

excellent

does she/he like depeche mode?

how about erasure?

Erasure is not very sad bastard though. Joy Division anybody?

hi

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

serge gainsbourg sounds like a frenchmen overtaken with ennui.
    bob dylan
    do u like elliot smith?

radikal

defamer.com better not slip in 2k6

to answer your question, yes

at least I don't like Belle and Sadbastian (that much)

• I hate Coldplay or any of the the other whiney bands of that ilk that we seem to be turning out on the UK at the moment...
    However I am liking "The Artic Monkeys",two good singles, no LP yet and a great name as well...

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Oh, but what about sad bitch music?

For this I can't wait to recomend Edith Frost's calling over time. It will emotionally melt you after a break up.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Hi guys. Fat gEORGE cLOONEY.

What do you consider "Sad Bastard Music," i.e., when the Jack Black character attacks the other shopworkers/customers over liking Radiohead?

Hi. Sometimes I think The Smiths can be lumped into this category, hah... and private loner folk?

hi

-M

ps: Bun B claims to blast Radiohead in one of the vehicles he owns in the latest issue of Scratch (with Nas and Primo on the cover)

pps: I kind of like The Smiths and Radiohead and most "Sad Bastard Music." Hate me now.

I thought he called the music "Sad Bastian music"

Because they were listening to Belle and Sebastian.

note: I could be completly wrong.

• TINDERSTICKS?

Hells yeah.

This album is a sad bastard music classic.

New-jack SBM = Gravenhurst? "Black Holes in the Sand" EP is great.

Low? Codeine?

• The Cure

excellent

does she/he like depeche mode?

how about erasure?

Erasure is not very sad bastard though. Joy Division anybody?

hi

she likes Joy Division because that's the original sad bastard emo crap. Oh, actaully, I like it too. DM & Erasure? Unspeakably sad. Like Marc Almond and Trent Reznor.

• american music club / mark eitzel
    low
    red house painters
    slint probably qualifies
    bedhead (tx represent)

she likes Joy Division because that's the original sad bastard emo crap. Oh, actaully, I like it too. DM & Erasure? Unspeakably sad. Like Marc Almond and Trent Reznor.

Trent Reznor has his moments, but I mostly think of his body of work as "Mad Bastard Music" lol.

Erasure? Yah, I guess it is kind of tragically sad like "oh woe is me, together forever braek the chains of love."

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Does New Order count? Or did they go a bit too happy?

Re sad bastard music; Has anyone checked Shutdown 66 released by Norton or something in the 90s? Makes all those British groups sound like a wee happy tea party on a sunny afternoon in Brighton!

• If I want sad, I'll listen to Billie Holiday "Gloomy Sunday" or Hank Williams...kinda shits all over mopey panted "why doesnt she like me?" bullshit rock.

Also Nick Cave and Serge sing about sodomy and murder too much to be lumped in the "sad bastard" category IMO.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Tears For Fears

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If I want sad, I'll listen to Billie Holiday "Gloomy Sunday" or Hank Williams...kinda shits all over mopey panted "why doesnt she like me?" bullshit rock.

I always thought the 'sad bastard' stuff to be shat upon was the 22-year-old shoegazer indie rock, which is overly twee and sensitive and just plain sacless... TRUELY sincere emotive music like Nick Drake deserves to be lumped under a different category altogether