Are these records any good?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited January 2019 in Strut Central
Alright, enough about politics for tonight, how about some help with some records. I'm going through my want list and would like Soulstrut's opinion about whether these are any good. More importantly, are they worth my time and money in tracking down? If anyone has read my reviews they should have an idea about my tastes. I have basic pop sensibilities. If it's catchy I usually like it. I'm looking for good music.

Here's a short list. What do you think about them?

• Bobby Forrester - Organist
  • Lee Gagnon - Jeremie OST (I might have actually heard part of this record sometime in the past but it was so long ago I don't remember a thing about it).
  • Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come (Actually heard this a while ago, but don't remember it.)
  • O'Donel Levy - Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky(Love that ass on the cover, but what does it sound like?)
  • Melvin Sparks - Twister (Typical of his other releases, because if it is I'm not spending the $100 it usually goes for on eBay)
  • 100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You (I've heard one track Windy C on a compilation, but what does the rest of it sound like?)
  • 1619 Bad Ass Band - ST (Same thing, heard one track on a comp, wondering if the rest is any good)
  • Travis Biggs - Challenge (I like one track off his other LP, is this a one tracker as well?)
  • Jerzy Milian - Orkiestra Rozrywkowa (Heard about this through an Ish feature. Had a sound link but that's old and dead. Is the rest of the LP good and is it worth the $150 it averages on eBay?)
  • Zalatnay - which of her LPs are good?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• 100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You (I've heard one track Windy C on a compilation, but what does the rest of it sound like?)

1619 Bad Ass Band - ST (Same thing, heard one track on a comp, wondering if the rest is any good)

100% pure poison is a modern soul (or crossover if you use the UK soul term) classic and it's reissued by Expansion i think, the title track is really good and uplifting and i believe there's another good one on it aswell, not a good lp on the whole tho', also as us and eur. 45s..

1619 bab has been on my wants forever aswell, always a tad too expensive or always a falling out or something when i try to trade for it, the track "just for you" is a monster and is 70s soul perfection i believe there's one on GEMM that superflyrecords wants about 450$ for which is about 100$ - 150$ too much..

/L

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You (I've heard one track Windy C on a compilation, but what does the rest of it sound like?)

1619 Bad Ass Band - ST (Same thing, heard one track on a comp, wondering if the rest is any good)

100% pure poison is a modern soul (or crossover if you use the UK soul term) classic and it's reissued by Expansion i think, the title track is really good and uplifting and i believe there's another good one on it aswell, not a good lp on the whole tho', also as us and eur. 45s..

1619 bab has been on my wants forever aswell, always a tad too expensive or always a falling out or something when i try to trade for it, the track "just for you" is a monster and is 70s soul perfection i believe there's one on GEMM that superflyrecords wants about 450$ for which is about 100$ - 150$ too much..

/L

I've only seen the 1619 Bad Ass twice on eBay, once for $332 and the other time for $460.

I think I have to listen to that Windy C song again because i don't remember what it sounds like other than I liked it when I did give it a spin which was years ago. The price on that one hasn't been that high on eBay, and is much closer to my range than the Bad Ass.

Thanx for the info.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You is a really solid soul/funk LP, IMO. I'm feelin' about 7 or 8 of the 10 tracks on there, and would gladly pay the going rate for it in a heartbeat.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Bobby Forrester - Organist
    great record in my opinion. not that expensive these days. solid jazz funk and wonderful organ play. 3 super funky tracks. i'd tap. i'll never sell my copy.

Lee Gagnon - Jeremie OST
    ??berhyped. i don't like it. pretty lame.

Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come
    very lame fusion/straight jazz. the drum break isn't even that nice. a rare one on happy bird, but not good. totally overrated. steve grossman recorded some better stuff.

O'Donel Levy - Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky
    nice. i like it. although it's not much better than other groove merchant releases. but i like most groove merchant recordings.

Melvin Sparks - Twister
    Texas Twister is one of my top wants. i listened to it once. fantastic stuff.

Jerzy Milian - Orkiestra Rozrywkowa
    dope dope dope! one of my top wants. never seen it for cheap though. most other milian releases are soft in comparison. i think the orkiestra rozrywkowa is even better than string beat.

• The Bobby Forrester is funky (bot not too funky) hammond stuff with a cool cover of Sanford & Son. I wouldn't spend a lot on it though...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Jeremie OST =

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Travis Biggs - Challenge (I like one track off his other LP, is this a one tracker as well?)

the lp on Solar is a remixed & resequenced version of this local Michigan release. The highlight is 'Tibetan Serenity', but I think there are also a couple good songs not on the Solar version( 'Doo Doo Walk' for one).

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    straight of the bat (not trying to disagree or hate on anything) this is just my opinion or the way i recall they sounded when i listened to them...

bobby forrester was a letdown, id seen this dobre record around and was currious to hear it, it was not near as hard as its rep.

lee gagnons jeremie quite a few nice drumbreaks, musically well not off the hook in any way, french, a bit cheesy, slight funk in places, done for a jazz ballet or dance show...

some shapes to come is raw and dirty sounding fusionfunk, i like this record, grossman sounds like coltrane into electric 1970's...

melvin sparks texas twister, not my favorite eastbound release, classic gui/organ driven soul jazz (funk), if you wanna get a really dope gui eastbound lp get donald austins crazy legs!

100% pure poison has some nice tracks, vocal funk(soul), not too heavy but still real good, cant recall the whole thing, a collectros item for sure.

jertzy milian, ive heard that record once, for the most part it wasnt bangin, i remember it had a track though that was like wow, gangster keyboard funk polishness.

im not sure bout Zalatnays music, but her records does have drumbreaks, i caught one of hers this summer, cover has pic of her in two versions, the nice schoolgirl zalatnay and the outgoing partydressing zalatnay. it has at least one cool track with wahwah funk and open drums.

hope these humble opinions/ discribtions helps just a tiny little bit.

peace.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You is a really solid soul/funk LP, IMO. I'm feelin' about 7 or 8 of the 10 tracks on there, and would gladly pay the going rate for it in a heartbeat.
    What is the going rate for it? Picked it up a few years ago and have always been tempted to sell.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    very lame fusion/straight jazz. the drum break isn't even that nice. a rare one on happy bird, but not good. totally overrated. steve grossman recorded some better stuff.

I have to disagree with you there Grope. I think this is a great record. I don't even have it myself, but I used to borrow it from the local library back when they had vinyl. Can't go wrong with Jan Hammer on the teclados. And the drum break is .

What is the going rate for it? Picked it up a few years ago and have always been tempted to sell.

what does popsike say?

this record was actally a pretty common find in denmark back in the early mid 90's, picked it up acouple of times might even had passed on it also....

I have to disagree with you there Grope. I think this is a great record. I don't even have it myself, but I used to borrow it from the local library back when they had vinyl. Can't go wrong with Jan Hammer on the teclados. And the drum break is .

• Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

What do you like about the record? It's dull Jazz. There are better Jazz records. Not a record that would appear on my wants list. The drum break is not that good. It's OK, but not You need to listen to Grossman's other LPs. Shapes To Come is allright, but nothing I'd spend much money on.

I don't feel you guys. Bobby Forrester is a dope record. Texas Twister too. I'd tap!

a rare one on happy bird,

aschrock i'll keep it on low, just one more little detail, the OG is on PM, happybird is the euro repress.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

aschrock i'll keep it on low, just one more little detail, the OG is on PM, happybird is the euro repress.

smartass!

smartass!

no need for violence.

i must admit i dont like those happy bird represses either, different covers than the OGs and thats a wack name for a label happy bird, also the label design does not look good at all,.... i recall theres a drawing of a HAPPY BIRD!

there is some german OG happy bird releases though.
    i have the lp with a baby doll coming out of a silver egg on the cover... it has some moments.
    grope you know any other ones?

• Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come

Hah naw I was just playing around.

Texas Twister is pretty hot. A little grittier than his Prestige LPs. I like my copy but I found it cheap, I probably wouldn't spend the bucks for it now.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

smartass!

no need for violence.

just kidding...

ayo, that bird looks cool. i like it. happy bird has nice records. keep an eye out.

smartass!

no need for violence.

just kidding...

ayo, that bird looks cool. i like it. happy bird has nice records. keep an eye out.

man, im always keeping eyes and ears out for german records, you guys made way too many dopeass joints!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i have the lp with a baby doll coming out of a silver egg on the cover... it has some moments.

yes, why?

you mean first track? both their lps are kinda

there's a nice herbie hancock lp (unkonwn tracks to me) and some brazilian joints (eg mato grosso - strange brazilian accent though). lots of stuff basically. good jazz. they also released the stone alliance lps in europe and all the other grossman lps.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

http://www.krautrockgroup.com/Genrich.html

JAZZ CONVENTION VOL. 1
    The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band
    K??ln, Germany: August 26, 1967
    Benny Bailey, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Dusko Goykovic (tp); Ake Persson, Nat Peck, Erik Van Lier (tb); Derek Humble (as); Johnny Griffin, Tony Coe, Ronnie Scott (ts); Sahib Shihab (bs); Francy Boland (p,arr); Jimmy Woode (b); Kenny Clarke, Kenny Clare (?) (d).

strange label. they released some chick corea stuff too.

yes, why?

you mean first track? both their lps are kinda

i like that first cut called Wake Up, dope progressive electrified jazzfunk. also dig the intro to Nasca on side 2.

havent got their 2nd release...

http://www.krautrockgroup.com/Genrich.html

JAZZ CONVENTION VOL. 1

The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band

K??ln, Germany: August 26, 1967

Benny Bailey, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Dusko Goykovic (tp); Ake Persson, Nat Peck, Erik Van Lier (tb); Derek Humble (as); Johnny Griffin, Tony Coe, Ronnie Scott (ts); Sahib Shihab (bs); Francy Boland (p,arr); Jimmy Woode (b); Kenny Clarke, Kenny Clare (?) (d).

strange label. they released some chick corea stuff too.

yeah, and muse records.

never seen the happybird label in those colors, the ones ive seen has always been orange with black lettering, actually the bird looks better in white with dark red background...

• there's a nice herbie hancock lp (unkonwn tracks to me)

Sorry for the highjack but is that record called Hot & heavy? I've always been a bit puzzled by that one. I think it has tracks from Jammin' with Herbie Hancock plus a couple of tracks that sound pretty odd for Hancock. I think the're called Far Out, Witch fire and some other ones. Far Out is a sort of surf tune and it's all heavy on the bongos. Now I don't know either where these tracks come from but someone told me they turned up on a Blow Up "out takes" record. That would make sense but does anyone know for sure what's the deal here?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    actually the bird looks better in white with dark red background...

silver/red. but no matter which color, that bird is mad funny.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Zalatnay Sarolta-Hadd Mondjam El. Review that, braeks plus pretty solid musically. To remind me of the title of the record (I don't know where my copy is), I did a google image search. Boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, does she have some nice dirty milf photos on the worldwide web for some reason.

Peace

T.N.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Around $300 I think. Dibbs if you decide to sell it

There's 2 ridiculously solid tracks on that LP. Windy C of course and No More City, No More Country. Funky as hell on those 2 cuts, sweet soul for the rest that is kinda

DJ Ferrari

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    grope!