New Years Quitting Smoking Support Group

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Who's with me??? By tomorrow, I'll have pulled out every hair of my beard. I'd rather be in LC land than this.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Go jog around the block and eat fruit. and indulge in other ways.

I "quit" the beginning of summer '05, and have had a total of 6 ciggs and a few drags here and there. i also eat a lot more now.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I quit smoking by getting extremely drunk...you know, throwing out all the rules...mixing beer with liquor...champagne...jager...and also (this is the key) smoking excessively. Like a pack or two in one night. you must get sick and poison your system so that even the thought of smoking makes you want to vomit. That will get you like two or three days of Guaranteed no smoking...the rest is up to you.

~Nat

• I quit smoking by getting extremely drunk...you know, throwing out all the rules...mixing beer with liquor...champagne...jager...and also (this is the key) smoking excessively. Like a pack or two in one night. you must get sick and poison your system so that even the thought of smoking makes you want to vomit. That will get you like two or three days of Guaranteed no smoking...the rest is up to you.

~Nat

• You have to leave town and go to the country or something, anything to take you out of your smoking element. Worked for me.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i quit smoking in October after 8 years of about a pack a day

you have to want to quit

thats it

if u want to quit, you will

guaranteed

You have to leave town and go to the country or something, anything to take you out of your smoking element. Worked for me.

that or being umemployed for half a year.

no work = no stress = less urge to smoke

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    You have to leave town and go to the country or something, anything to take you out of your smoking element. Worked for me.

ehhh no money either to buy cigs?

ehhh no money either to buy cigs?

naw, you always have money to buy ciggs!

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts

yes, wish i was lucky enought not to work

im on day two tho, (after 10 years of 1/2 pack to full pack a day)

• Options
    There's some book out there that people swear by which might help you, written by this guy.

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hmmm, maybe I'm not the best example, but with the cig prices in NYC, you may as well work on your ganja game and use the cigs only for rolling spliffs. That way a pack lasts me nearly 2 weeks.

Also, a good way to get over the initial need to smoke cigs is a blowout weekend in Amsterdam involving smoking at least a 1/4 a day. 3 days worked for me and I never lit a cig after that. Use alcohol to get you motivated to go out in the evenings.

PS: I also learned why they call it Dutch Courage

• Options
    There's some book out there that people swear by which might help you, written by this guy.

Worked for 2 of my friends. Day 2 myself...

K.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I just quit two months ago and I feel great. Keep up the fight batches. I took Zyban (pdf) which helped a truckload. I had already tried quitting 5-6 times, included is one other time using Zyban which didn't work out. Really took the edge off and when I stopped taking it I continued not getting the massive cravings I would have if I hadn't taken it.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Here are some tips that helped me quit:

1) Reward yourself. Everytime I didn't buy a pack of ciggs I would go and buy a record or something I needed that was physical which I could keep (books, comics, movies, whatever).

2) Get athsma. I was living with this girl who had a cat and I was allergic to it. I would wake up and not be able to breath. This got me thinking to what it would be like dieing of lung cancer and I scared myself into not smoking.

The weird thing is I worked in cancer research for 2 summer and smoked the whole time.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Fuckers keep on upping the age you can stop without any permanent damage to your lungs. If I can reach the next milestone without it being changed I'll be quitting then.

To be honest my main motivation for quitting would still be hygeine related rather than health related.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

Worked for 2 of my friends. Day 2 myself...

K.

Day 3 myself. Recommended by a construction worker who smoked for 30 years and hasn't touched one in 3 after he put the book down. The key thing I've got from it so far is I'm not 'quiting' or 'giving up,' b/c I've never gotten anything from it in the first place. Sounds like mumbo jumbo, but I think it might actually work.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i quit smoking 5 years ago, and i'll extend my secret to you. DO NOT TELL ANYONE. just do it. every time you tell someone, you are subconciously relieving yourself of some of the burden. if someone offers you a cigarette, just say, "i dont feel like it", but do not tell them you quit. do it for yourself.

• i quit smoking 5 years ago, and i'll extend my secret to you. DO NOT TELL ANYONE. just do it. every time you tell someone, you are subconciously relieving yourself of some of the burden. if someone offers you a cigarette, just say, "i dont feel like it", but do not tell them you quit. do it for yourself.

This makes more sense than the Carr book. I smoked right trough it... and continued smoking. (no desire to quit)

• count me in..
    been smoking for a little over 3 years. Up to almost a pack a day.
    Damn do I want a smoke right now!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm down. To quit, for the 3rd time in the past 3 years.

• i'm gonna quit tomorrow

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    I'm on day 2.
    I like the ideas and concepts by Alan Carr that I got from his website.
    I wonder though....how come all his renowned clinics are only in strange and foreign places?

• i been smoking for many years.
    i am trying to quit. i decided i would finish my pack left over from newyears eve.
    one left.
    i have cut down alot over the past year.
    the time i smoke the most is when i am making beaters.

its gonna be hard.good luck to all trying to quit.
    stupid cigarettes,stoopid wonderful cigarettes.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Haven't had one since 8 AM Sunday morning. Too drunk to continue drinking, too drunk to eat breakfast w/ the crew, NO voice = no more desire to smoke. No really, I had thought about it before NYE but that shit was the last straw. I'm going on the patch too if I need it. Still can't talk, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much yelling, smoking, drinking on NYE, fewww.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the most important thing, and I know because I've quit about 20 times in the last 15 years, is to not beat yourself up if you breakdown and smoke one. Its really hard to stop cold turkey, so if you have one dont adopt the attitude like "all is lost" just keep trying. After a while you just wont smoke as much and thats good. I still smoke one every couple of days, but when Im not smoking, Im not thinking about it. Although now with school, i find Im smoking more when Im studying as a "break".

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    i quit smoking 5 years ago, and i'll extend my secret to you. DO NOT TELL ANYONE. just do it. every time you tell someone, you are subconciously relieving yourself of some of the burden. if someone offers you a cigarette, just say, "i dont feel like it", but do not tell them you quit. do it for yourself.
    That's so true. Besides doing the drugs I didn't tell anyone that I was quitting. I've just recently (after 2 months of not smoking) began telling people that I've quit and that's only if they really ask. Besides you haven't really quit after a few days of not smoking so it's best to NOT TELL ANYONE, just keep at it (quitting).