monday night football is moving to espn...

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
is this the end of the mnf theme? i'm thinking espn will change it now that they have mnf.

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i thought it was going to fox for some reason, but then i heard espn had it. what it do?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I think espn and abc have the same owners. Same tune then?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i guess espn swooped in and bought up the rights... i hope they keep the theme music.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    disney???? i think you might be right man.

• Options
    One improvement that I'm aware of is that ESPN or the NFL is going to have the power to change the schedule late in the year.

Example: Preseason, that Jets/Patriots game last night had the makings of a AFC East hanging in the balance type game, playoffs on the line all that stuff. Then the Jets went bust, and when week 16 rolls around no one cares about the monday night game involving the 3-11 team.

ESPN or the NFL will be able to rotate that game out and put in one from the Sunday lineup that will get better ratings or has better teams playing. Maybe Indy/Seattle would have been substituted this week.

Sounds good to me. ESPN needs to replace some commentators though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ESPN or the NFL will be able to rotate that game out and put in one from the Sunday lineup that will get better ratings or has better teams playing. Maybe Indy/Seattle would have been substituted this week.

Knowing the intensity of some (most) of those NFL head coaches, I can see there being controversy when some games get switched out - although I can't see anyone complaining about an extra day to prepare, what if the scheduled Monday night game has playoff implications for one of the teams involved, and they have to play a day earlier to make room for the more "marquee" matchup - I could see a coach melting down over that shit.

ESPN needs to replace some commentators though.

Cosign, at least 2 of the three. Watching a Green Bay game on there is painful...they should bring on Boomer Esiason(sp) - he was awful when he was on MNF before for that one disaster season, but he does the radio broadcast now and he's gotten pretty good, he's actually funny and talks mad shit.

• ESPN paid double what ABC had paid to get MNF.

However, Monday Night Football will not be the "centerpiece" game of the week that it once was or at least supposed to have been. NBC bought the rights to Sunday Night NFL broadcasts. This will supposedly be the "primetime" type matchup every week.

So, what ESPN will have on Mondays should be about the same mid-rung type games they have now on Sunday nights. I anticipate the Douchebags 1-3 (Patrick, Theismann and Maguire) will still be blabbering.

Madden has already signed w/ NBC to do their Sunday Night broadcasts.

One final note, for those of you who are fans of NFL Primetime on ESPN on Sundays...get ready to say goodbye. Part of NBC's contract is that no highlights can be shown on cable networks until the end of their Sunday night contest. So NFL Primetime is done after this year. Some may say that show was done a long time ago, and I'd be hard-pressed to argue that point. However, I grew up w/ that shit...w/ Berman and TJ. Before the interwebs, NFL Primetime was like manna from heaven. Highlights, some stats....it was great.