toronto is shook

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central

because this went down.

Imagine one of the busiest shopping districts in the city w/ the most foot traffic (think broadway & spring). Compounded by boxing day crowds, which is the busiest shopping day of the year.

obligatory overreaction already snowballing, and in the end, consumerism triumphs all...
A shopper browsing through DVDs and CDs after the shootings said while he was shocked by the crime, it didn't stop him from looking for sales.

"It made me shop less because I couldn't go to the store I wanted to," said Valentin Faluotico. "I couldn't get the CD I'd been waiting for all week."
I'm a bit shellshocked right now, sure I'm angry, but at who really? This will surely pan out quite ugly in the media, and perhaps the launching pad of various agendas, racial tensions, etc.........you name it you got it.

sigh

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Sayin... that's really upsetting.

• Sorry to hear that.

• Shit is crazy. I work just a block north of there. Still outta the city visiting Mom's for the holidays though, so I wasn't around when it went down.

People talking about not getting a cd because other people got shot to death?

I don't buy into the whole "Toronto is like any big American city now" bullshit though... I mean I walk around Toronto all the time through sketchy neighbourhoods (I live on Shuter across from Moss Park Appartments) and don't feel scared at all. The incidences of random gun violence are getting more frequent though.

What I'm really worried about is this affecting voters, and causing them to support the Liberals' handgun ban bullshit. All the money spent on that kind of useless agenda could be much better spent on community projects and youth programs...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

What I'm really worried about is this affecting voters, and causing them to support the Liberals' handgun ban bullshit. All the money spent on that kind of useless agenda could be much better spent on community projects and youth programs...

Wait, [sarcasm]do you mean that the money (suppose to cost 2 million, but ended up costing 2 billion) from the gun registry could have been better spent?[/sarcasm]

• Options
    Aser,

I took the Go Train and was meeting my girl at Yonge and Bloor, thus walked up Yonge. I heard the shots from about Queen and Dundas - it happened right around PLay De!

sHOOK aS wELL, k.

• Aser,

I took the Go Train and was meeting my girl at Yonge and Bloor, thus walked up Yonge. I heard the shots from about Queen and Dundas - it happened right around PLay De!

sHOOK aS wELL, k.

my sister, my dog and i were walking back home around 5-5:10 PM from around Play De (i couldn't go in cuz sister hates record stores), but we ducked over to Bay to avoid all the people....... i *thought* i heard gun shots, but I guess we got pretty far by the time they were suppossed to have happenned according to CityTV, so i just disregarded them... i'm sooooooo grateful that we were hungry and decided to go home to grab some food quck......

definitely shook up.

RON

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=545865&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Just so I didn't have to give my thoughts on this again.

Question... Does anyone think this will move up on election issues in the next few months?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i wouldnt be surprised if people went liberal just cause of that gun ban despite the lack of logic, as its just acting on fears, just like America electing Bush again.

but this shit will definitely make more waves than the previous gang shootings which were limited to certain areas. anyhow my thoughts to the victims, and i hope there is such thing as karma.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    related: the recent issue of Pound Magazine is all about gun culture - some very good interviews (Deanna Wilkinson, David Simon - creator/exec-prod of The Wire, Toronto's mayor, handful of rappers, etc.) The issue is a preview to the editors' upcoming book on the same topic.

not sure what the int'l circulation is like for Pound, but it's free in Toronto. worth picking up.

• related: the recent issue of Pound Magazine is all about gun culture - some very good interviews (Deanna Wilkinson, David Simon - creator/exec-prod of The Wire, Toronto's mayor, handful of rappers, etc.) The issue is a preview to the editors' upcoming book on the same topic.

not sure what the int'l circulation is like for Pound, but it's free in Toronto. worth picking up.

Dope. I haven't checked Pound in a minute... have to remember to pick one up next time I'm out. Thanks for the info!

In terms of this affecting voters... I seriously hope is doesn't drum up support for the Liberals' ridiculous plan. That money could be spent in soooo many better ways. Realistically though, I only think the gun ban ig going to be popular in urban centers. Everyone in the rural areas will dislike the idea of more government control and regulation of firearms.