Colbert Report > The Daily Show? (CCR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
hi guys

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    hi guys

Get off the crack M*rk. I like Colbert but greater than The Daily Show?

NEVER THAT SON.

• Personally, I think Colbert is funnier.

It's hard to believe he can keep such a straight face all the time. Stewart tends to smirk a lot at his own jokes, which can get annoying after a while.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Leaning on the Colbert Report. More off the wall. Interview with Senetor Kilpatrick where they sang songs from Mohagani together; bananzas.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Haha no offense Odub but I think now that Colbert is here Stewart is kind of waning. The writing on Colbert's show appeals to me more. He's got that clueless strange humor that is priceless with the straight face and pointing finger.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I like Colbert but greater than The Daily Show?

NEVER THAT SON.

• I like Colbert but greater than The Daily Show?

NEVER THAT SON.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Colbert is better right now, not overall better than Daily Show, but right know, hes

• Mark (and Drew) to me the problem is that Colbert is never serious - he's always in character. Sure, it's funny (sometimes) but the schtick gets old after a while imo. I like Stewart more because he's organic - it's just him.

Colbert to me is like a good continuing sketch on SNL. That doesn't really compare to one of the more successful shows of the last ten years...

HATTEUR!

• I watch both. But I fall asleep more often during Colbert. Peace, 'check . . .

heh

• btw I think the word "grippy" is worth the price of admission alone

• I watch both. But I fall asleep more often during Colbert. Peace, 'check . . .

Could that be because it's on later than the Daily Show??

I like both, but agree that the fact that Colbert is always "on" makes me kinda get sick of him a bit. The novelty of the show will wear off faster than the Daily Show I think...

• true that about Colbert always in character gets a bit tiresome; thats why I thought he was the perfect '6th man' for Daily (not to discount shaved nog rob er anyone else - all of 'em fantastic)... but This Week In God?????? I'm burning as we speak!!!!

NEVER THAT SON.

mos def.

NEVER THAT SON.

Double

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    btw I think the word "grippy" is worth the price of admission alone

That, plus his opening monologue on the first show was a work of art, including such gems as:

"I don't trust books--they're all fact and no heart."

"I like you people--you're regular people. You aren't the country club elite. I know for a fact that my country club would never let you in."

He does a pitch-perfect O'Reilly, and it's great to watch. I still maintain that they need to bring on Amy Sedaris to be the Ann Coulter to Colbert's O'Reilly, but hopefully that will happen in due time.

Still, I think TDS is beating Colbert. But I'll be damned if the two don't combine for one hilarious hour of TV.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Hell I'd still rather watch Howard Stern if it was still on. I gotta go with Daily show. The first ten minutes usually is very good. Colbert does a better interview. How about that?

• I gotta go with Daily show. The first ten minutes usually is very good. Colbert does a better interview. How about that?

• the 434 part series "Know Your Congressional District" is classic... "would you say george bush is a great president or the greatest president?" "he's a catastrophe" "okay, i'll put you down for great"

i agree that the daily show is better overall, but they took a pretty big hit when colbert left... the other reporters are good, but he was the cream of the crop... samantha bee will hopefully be back soon though!

• I'm going with the daily show because as much as I like the Report, I'd be a lot more bummed if the Daily Show got cancelled.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    apples & oranges,
    i love them both
    cobert has been hitting his stride
    after a rocky start
    the first week or so wasn't spot on
    but those last shows were killing it
    that "word" segment is next level

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Mark (and Drew) to me the problem is that Colbert is never serious - he's always in character. Sure, it's funny (sometimes) but the schtick gets old after a while imo. I like Stewart more because he's organic - it's just him.

Colbert to me is like a good continuing sketch on SNL. That doesn't really compare to one of the more successful shows of the last ten years...

bingo! the colbert report is a hilarious way to make fun of the oreilly type shows. it was perfect as an occasional installment on the daily show, and its funny now too. but that colbert is a character. having a character host an entire show reminds me of jiminy glick or something. i wouldn't be surprised if colbert pulled out after one season.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    They're both good but as others have noted, it's a little early to try to figure out who's better. I really think the "Colbert Report" may run into the danger of exhausting its schtick down the road. I'll say this much: Colbert (and his writers) have tightened up considerably since the first two weeks; there were some painful moments but that's to be expected.

Meanwhile, Rob Cordury is really killing shit at TDS but man, those new correspondents? WACK. They make Ed Helms look genius by comparison and Ed used to be the new, awkward kid on the block.

• They're both good but as others have noted, it's a little early to try to figure out who's better. I really think the "Colbert Report" may run into the danger of exhausting its schtick down the road. I'll say this much: Colbert (and his writers) have tightened up considerably since the first two weeks; there were some painful moments but that's to be expected.

Meanwhile, Rob Cordury is really killing shit at TDS but man, those new correspondents? WACK. They make Ed Helms look genius by comparison and Ed used to be the new, awkward kid on the block.

That new kid with the bowl haircut who does the cultural bits is good. He's a stand up comedian, but I forget his name.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

That new kid with the bowl haircut who does the cultural bits is good. He's a stand up comedian, but I forget his name.

Demetri Martin, killed it on Conan a couple weeks ago...
    http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=25156

• They're both good but as others have noted, it's a little early to try to figure out who's better. I really think the "Colbert Report" may run into the danger of exhausting its schtick down the road. I'll say this much: Colbert (and his writers) have tightened up considerably since the first two weeks; there were some painful moments but that's to be expected.

[swoosh]If Nate were here, he'd correct you on your mislabeling of said haircut. [/swoosh]

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i agree with mark.

colbert appeals to me because it's more of a pure satire, closer to what the daily show was when kilborne was doing it. as much as the stewart daily show has it's moments, I think too often it functions more as a political soapbox for jon and the humor gets lost in the shuffle. which i guess is cool if that's your thing, but it's not always mine.

i watch the daily show once in a while if it's on. i tivo colbert every night.

and yes, demitri martin is a huge addition to the TDS cast.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

and yes, demitri martin is a huge addition to the TDS cast.

I've always wondered what Magic Jackson would look like in a tie

• as much as the stewart daily show has it's moments, I think too often it functions more as a political soapbox for jon and the humor gets lost in the shuffle. which i guess is cool if that's your thing, but it's not always mine.

i dont even thinks stewart is funny, i remember him from his mtv days and he was never that good then either, making fun of bush is way to easy and not very imaginative, and thats all stewart does

the rest of the show is very good

i have not seen the colbert report yet