SWARTE PIET crazy christmas tradition!

Comments

• "oh but stop it, you dont understand, its tradition" you know what else is tradition around the world? burning crosses, forced marriages, suicide bombings etc, just because something is tradition does not make it ok

I agree completely! However, and not to take this thread in another direction but, suicide bombings are not a "tradition."

I understand the point you're making but just to set the record straight...
    right. burning crosses=TRADITION forced marriage=TRADITION suicide bombing. . .not a tradition. peace, stein. . .

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    "oh but stop it, you dont understand, its tradition" you know what else is tradition around the world? burning crosses, forced marriages, suicide bombings etc, just because something is tradition does not make it ok

I agree completely! However, and not to take this thread in another direction but, suicide bombings are not a "tradition."

right. burning crosses=TRADITION forced marriage=TRADITION suicide bombing. . .not a tradition. peace, stein. . .

Yeah, i guess you could say i was getting carried away, so lets replace suicide bombing with ME GETTING PISSED OFF EVERY YEAR AT SINTERKLAAS= Tradition

Right, thats it for me.
    last night, after my last post i realised that i was arguing with a dude that thinks putting on blackface is ok...

Thats it im out. merry christmas everyone, im off to spend it with my Dutch inlaws and a house devoid of Swarte Pieten.

SMH

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Dutch are known for their commercial cunning. The Dutch didnt actually invent slavery, they did however yield the best results. Sounds awful, is awful. But the Dutch back then found out if you put 100 slaves standing up in your ship about 50 will die. But if you put them in your ship while lying down, 400 will fit in, twice as much will die, but in the end you will still have 200 slaves. Obviously that is not something to be proud of. However look at the way livestock/meat is currently produced and treated. That happends in probably even worse conditions, might be 'just' animals but still shows a general lack of respect for (other forms of) life. For some reason only a minority of the people seems to care about the way their steak is 'produced', as its only 'cows'. Perhaps back then black people enjoyed the same attitude as cows 'enjoy' nowadays.

Can someone please explain what the fuck this guy is trying to say here? Because, if I'm not mistaken, it seems pretty messed up...that somehow the slave trade wasn't really that bad since today's cattle are treated worse?

And jeez, I guess we can't be that mad at the Dutch for perfecting the slavey trade since they didn't "invent" it.

Seriously

W
    T
    F?

(I'm going to chalk this up to some "lost in translation" shit but even so...)

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

(I'm going to chalk this up to some "lost in translation" shit but even so...)

He seems to have no problems with english, so I don't think that's the case. Quite a stupid statement indeed.

• Wish you would come to the Bijlmer in the 80's and throw some candy at me.

HAAAA Bijlmerboys reprezent

I remember back in the 80's in the Amsterdamse Poort me and my boys robbed a few bags full of candy off some Zwarte Pieten..aah the good old days

Sinterklaas has been bothering you for the last six years yet nobody for the past 50 years held a protestmarch against this tradition because they all were institutionalised ?

This is not true at all..There have been a lot of protests over the years. The Netherlands has a very large black community and there are a lot of people that get offended by this tradition. I remember back in school parents of Surinam kids that would come to school to protest and would refuse to send there kids to the Sinterklaas celebrations..People have requested to change the Zwarte Pieten in to Pieten of all colors for years but the Dutch dont want to hear it! But i guess it wouldn't fit in these days and times when all you hear in the media is about the Dutch have to keep they're own identity and all foreigners should just addapt to Dutch culture.

Funny to see all these Dutch heads all crawl from under a rock ..

• Can someone please explain what the fuck this guy is trying to say here? Because, if I'm not mistaken, it seems pretty messed up...that somehow the slave trade wasn't really that bad since today's cattle are treated worse?

He's making the point that the Dutch were innovative in making the slave trade more profitable. He's making the cattle comparison from the perspective that life is life and humans aren't any more important, than, say, the cows in the hamburger on your plate. In that frame of mind, perhaps in the days of slavery slaves were regarded as nothing more than cattle and the Dutch's innovations were simply good business, much like the ability to grow a full-sized chicken in 6 weeks has been highly profitable to the chicken industry.

• Can someone please explain what the fuck this guy is trying to say here? Because, if I'm not mistaken, it seems pretty messed up...that somehow the slave trade wasn't really that bad since today's cattle are treated worse?

He's making the point that the Dutch were innovative in making the slave trade more profitable. He's making the cattle comparison from the perspective that life is life and humans aren't any more important, than, say, the cows in the hamburger on your plate. In that frame of mind, perhaps in the days of slavery slaves were regarded as nothing more than cattle and the Dutch's innovations were simply good business, much like the ability to grow a full-sized chicken in 6 weeks has been highly profitable to the chicken industry.
    That's pretty much what I meant yes. However I pretty much assumed I wouldnt have to explcitly add that slave trade is highly rejectable and not to be justified in anyway. Mainly because that is common ground in Holland (slave trade being bad, not good). Even though I did:

The Dutch are known for their commercial cunning. The Dutch didnt actually invent slavery, they did however yield the best results. Sounds awful, is awful[/b]. But the Dutch back then found out if you put 100 slaves standing up in your ship about 50 will die. But if you put them in your ship while lying down, 400 will fit in, twice as much will die, but in the end you will still have 200 slaves. Obviously that is not something to be proud of[/b]. However look at the way livestock/meat is currently produced and treated. That happends in probably even worse conditions, might be 'just' animals but still shows a general lack of respect for (other forms of) life. For some reason only a minority of the people seems to care about the way their steak is 'produced', as its only 'cows'. Perhaps back then black people enjoyed the same attitude as cows 'enjoy' nowadays.

I reckon ODub probably didnt read the bold parts as he was probably already writing a angry reply. Perhaps I wasnt clear enough so I will add just another time that I no way tried to glorify, justify or approve of slavery and slave trade by the Dutch. ta.

It is however always good (in my opinion) to look at things considering context. The Dutch dont really have a racist background, there was slavetrade because money was involved. The Dutch were also very progressive when it comes to freedom of religion. But it should be added that that also was mainly because it was good for bussiness. And we Dutch love our money/trade. Go to any country where price haggling is still custom and you will always find some Dutchie in heated discussion over the price of a item. A good read about the (modern day) Dutchie is Colin White/Laurie Boucke's book 'The Undutchables'. Very funny book.

• "oh but stop it, you dont understand, its tradition" you know what else is tradition around the world? burning crosses, forced marriages, suicide bombings etc, just because something is tradition does not make it ok

I just picked the one that hit closes to home, bruddah.

• The Dutch dont really have a racist background, there was slavetrade because money was involved.[/b]

Wow.

White Dutch people's denial on issues of race and culture is so strong it's appalling. And shameful. That whole country has such deep racial conflicts its embarrassing that you and most other white Dutch folks don't even see it (a problem made obvious by your distorted logic above).

And I speak from my experiences within the "context" of Dutch culture. There are a number of Antillianen, Surinamers, Morokkanen, etc. who can give you an entirely different context.

• well,
    here in (french speaking) belgium, we celebrate Saint Nicolas on the 6th of december and we call zwarte piet "p??re fouettard" (umm father whiper). he's saint nicolas helper that whips the children that have been bad. the flemish celebrate the same thing on the same day. Now I've always thought of it as weird and disturbing. like the fact that children would relate bad and scary things to people with dark skin. once on flemish tv they were asking kids in the street about sinterklaas and they asked one little girl "who is zwarte piet?" to wich she replied "zwarte piet is en neger" I'm not gonna translate that. I was shocked that they put that on tv.

• The Dutch dont really have a racist background, there was slavetrade because money was involved.[/b]

Wow.

White Dutch people's denial on issues of race and culture is so strong it's appalling. And shameful. That whole country has such deep racial conflicts its embarrassing that you and most other white Dutch folks don't even see it (a problem made obvious by your distorted logic above).

And I speak from my experiences within the "context" of Dutch culture. There are a number of Antillianen, Surinamers, Morokkanen, etc. who can give you an entirely different context.
    You have a point there, but I dont think you are entirely right. And I dont really see how a liberal and multi cultural country like Holland can be strongly racist, as you are the Dutch made tou to be, but maybe you've got some insights on that, if so, please do share them.

The examples of Dutch racism (as you call it) against Surinamers, Antillianen and Marokkanen are all also from a financial background. As you probably know the Dutch had colonies on the Antilles and Suriname. And even though I'm sure horrible things took place back then. In my neighbourhoud I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone with racist feelings towards surinamers and antillianen. And I live in probably one of the most multi cultural neighbourhoods in Holland. Within 200 meters (and I'm not exaggerating) there is chinese, turkish, maroccan, surinaams and dutch fast food places AND supermarkets).

As for the Marokkanen, you might have a point. With them getting blamed for alot of things in the media I'm sure there are in Holland people with lets say at least biased feelings towards them. Not just from white dutchies by the way, I heard some pretty nasty things at my local Turkish shoarma place about people from Marocco.
    Even though the high crime numbers among Marrokaanse youth is probably mainly our own fault and possibly a clash of cultures. When the Dutch government got men from Turkey, Marocco, etc. for cheap labour they did not anticipate on them staying and bringing their families over. Leaving a entire generation of men/families alienated from Dutch society. A disgrace if you ask me. And growning up in such a envoriment where your parents were treated like that and getting blamed for everything and whatnot in the media is not a good, to say the least.

But that is all beside the point I was trying to make in the first place. The Dutch and their money... (and something with lack of respect for life still visible to this day etc. bla bla)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    not sure how it is outside the US, but I'd say a lot of racism is not really overt, its more like under the surface and bubbles up top in strange little ways that some people wouldn't consider racist.

Over a year ago I documented a ex-coworker of mine putting a swastika up in the bathroom. We were still on a level where we spoke to one another and he seriously couldn't see why I would take the swastika to be a hurtful symbo. I know it sound obvious as fuck to most, but those that are prejudiced sometimes don't even know that what they do is truly hurtful.

Just ask soulstruts newest favorite poster Flunk AKA Failure

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Some remarks in this thread come from stuck up people who are so PC it must hurt them, y'all should just be more laidback and give them caucasian/gentile folk some leeway (hahahahahahaha)

Anyway, there's a great show on Dutch tv where a comedian from Surinam (J??rgen Raymann) takes the piss out of black/Surinam people being interviewed on the streets as their remarks confirm every clich?? (them being lazy, stupid, horny bastards) about 'em. Yet this is somewhat different than Chappelle & co (like his Niggar family, NOT funnny, dude), it's hard to explain the difference, we're just better than you cause we're from Europe. (hahhahhahahahaha)

Surinam parents protesting against a blackface Zwarte Piet, demanding a rainbow Pete or something like that sounds like a Monty Python sketch to me. It's a racist tradition and everybody knows that, but you can't take it away.

"all foreigners should just addapt to Dutch culture." You goddamn right but then again you're not. Context is indeed the keyword here people, try to find that third side of the story and use your head.

The most racist fuckers I ever met were my colored co-workers at various jobs. Some things in life just don't make sense. Most of my friends consider me to be a leftwing nut, yet it makes perfect sense to defend that Zwarte Piet tradition, too bad if my Kiwi friend in this thread doesn't understands that.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Some remarks in this thread come from stuck up people who are so PC it must hurt them, y'all should just be more laidback and give them caucasian/gentile folk some leeway (hahahahahahaha)

Anyway, there's a great show on Dutch tv where a comedian from Surinam (J??rgen Raymann) takes the piss out of black/Surinam people being interviewed on the streets as their remarks confirm every clich?? (them being lazy, stupid, horny bastards) about 'em. Yet this is somewhat different than Chappelle & co (like his Niggar family, NOT funnny, dude), it's hard to explain the difference, we're just better than you cause we're from Europe. (hahhahhahahahaha)

Surinam parents protesting against a blackface Zwarte Piet, demanding a rainbow Pete or something like that sounds like a Monty Python sketch to me. It's a racist tradition and everybody knows that, but you can't take it away.

"all foreigners should just addapt to Dutch culture." You goddamn right but then again you're not. Context is indeed the keyword here people, try to find that third side of the story and use your head.

The most racist fuckers I ever met were my colored co-workers at various jobs. Some things in life just don't make sense. Most of my friends consider me to be a leftwing nut, yet it makes perfect sense to defend that Zwarte Piet tradition, too bad if my Kiwi friend in this thread doesn't understands that.

Just out of curiosity, what race are you?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Anyway, there's a great show on Dutch tv where a comedian from Surinam (J??rgen Raymann) takes the piss out of black/Surinam people being interviewed on the streets as their remarks confirm every clich?? (them being lazy, stupid, horny bastards) about 'em. (hahhahhahahahaha)

I'm saying there are these great films that came out of Nazi Germany in the 30's & 40's where these western european dudes portrayed Jews as what they really are (vermin, dangerous, a burden on society). The actors pretty much confirmed all those clich??s.

It was wonderful. well, I guess at first I was pissed but then I thought "hey this is just their way and who am I to say whats right or wrong"?

I feel better now. Who wants to lynch some black people?

• Anyway, there's a great show on Dutch tv where a comedian from Surinam (J??rgen Raymann) takes the piss out of black/Surinam people being interviewed on the streets as their remarks confirm every clich?? (them being lazy, stupid, horny bastards) about 'em. (hahhahhahahahaha)

I'm saying there are these great films that came out of Nazi Germany in the 30's & 40's where these western european dudes portrayed Jews as what they really are (vermin, dangerous, a burden on society). The actors pretty much confirmed all those clich??s.

It was wonderful. well, I guess at first I was pissed but then I thought "hey this is just their way and who am I to say whats right or wrong"?

I feel better now. Who wants to lynch some black people?

Lynching black people is wrong...

Unleass you're talking about lynching one of the lazy, stupid or horny ones... Then, you know... Hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess. Who am I to judge anybody?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Unleass you're talking about lynching one of the lazy, stupid or horny ones... Then, you know... Hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess. Who am I to judge anybody?

I'm saying. Theres this great dutch show where they find all the stupid lazy and horny black people. They dig so we don't have to.

I'm going to scurry over to europe real quick, if y'all can pick up some rope it would save us all some time

• Lynching black people is wrong...

I'm saying. Theres this great dutch show where they find all the stupid lazy and horny black people. They dig so we don't have to.

Man, they think of everything first in Europe!

Can you imagine if there was something like that here? Or maybe the government could set up some real shitty low-income housing for them (black people), over-run it with drugs and crime, then just let them kill each other one by one or throw them in jail. I mean, I think that might be pretty effective as well... You know... I don't have a problem with them personally but it's none of my business really.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i kinda hate this thread

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Can you imagine if there was something like that here? Or maybe the government could set up some real shitty low-income housing for them (black people), over-run it with drugs and crime, then just let them kill each other one by one or throw them in jail. I mean, I think that might be pretty effective as well...

Dude this is gold!!!

some "nuts" might get offended, but if we pass it off like its tradition than what could they possibly say? After all only "nuts" question tradition

• Lynching black people is wrong...

Can you imagine if there was something like that here? Or maybe the government could set up some real shitty low-income housing for them (black people), over-run it with drugs and crime, then just let them kill each other one by one or throw them in jail. I mean, I think that might be pretty effective as well...

Dude this is gold!!!

some "nuts" might get offended, but if we pass it off like its tradition than what could they possibly say? After all only "nuts" question tradition

I...

LIKE YOUR THINKING!!!

Dude, for real, count me in. I see nothin' but cleeeaaar skies ahead -- IF you know what I'm sayin'... "brotha."

• i kinda hate this thread

• Over a year ago I documented a ex-coworker of mine putting a swastika up in the bathroom. We were still on a level where we spoke to one another and he seriously couldn't see why I would take the swastika to be a hurtful symbo.

Maybe he was Hindu.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Maybe he was Hindu.

nope midwest born whiteboy of Christian descent. He did try to throw out there that the hindus used the symbol too so it shouldn't be taken offensively however when you work with only 5 other people and none of them are Hindu and one of them is Jewish it just comes out as a bad move

• Maybe he was Hindu.

nope midwest born whiteboy of Christian descent. He did try to throw out there that the hindus used the symbol too so it shouldn't be taken offensively however when you work with only 5 other people and none of them are Hindu and one of them is Jewish it just comes out as a bad move

That's bullshit. I've never heard of anyone in the US writing swastika graffiti in that light.

And few people in the US even know anything beyond swastika = Nazi anyway. He's just some dick thinking it's funny to write swastikas on shit for lack of something better to deface things with.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hot damn this thread is fucked. A couple of the Dutch heads have put forth some of the most offensive and disturbing statements I have ever seen around here.
    Telling people to "lighten up" over this shit? You are completely bigoted and blissfully ignorant of it. Pathetic.

what the fuck. ugh.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    remember that japan thread we got into a few months back which was pretty similar to this?

• Hot damn this thread is fucked. A couple of the Dutch heads have put forth some of the most offensive and disturbing statements I have ever seen around here.
    Telling people to "lighten up" over this shit? You are completely bigoted and blissfully ignorant of it. Pathetic.

That may or not be the case, but it seems uninformed to damn them when most of us have never been there, let alone lived there. Combine that with the fact that the US is a very racially sensitive country - I think it's hard to not divorce ourselves from trained-from-birth sensitivity to the issue.
    You're only looking at it from the perspective of having grown up in the US (geocentricity).

While I agree that from my US perspective it looks fucked up, but you're not really going to be able to make a solid judgment from a few posts in a thread on a board that focuses on music.

It's worth looking into in more depth if it gets you that heated, though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm only looking at it from the perspective of having grown up with respect for my fellow man

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You're only looking at it from the perspective of having grown up in the US (geocentricity).
    I definitely feel that and it's important to realize the fact that this exists. However, if there were a similar "tradition" that replaced an African with a Dutch, don't you think there would be complaints about it?