I HATE MY RACIST CO-WORKER! (nrr)

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it was only after her HUSBAND(who was caucasion) told me the word was a "slang word for a caucasion, like Gringo or Cracker" did I know what it was.
    Her husband was misinformed. Haole can be used in several contexts while gringo and cracker are generally negative.

Tell me ol' wise one....who uses this word today in a context where it's NOT an insult.
    Everywhere in Hawaii; the place where the word originated from.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    it was only after her HUSBAND(who was caucasion) told me the word was a "slang word for a caucasion, like Gringo or Cracker" did I know what it was.
    Her husband was misinformed. Haole can be used in several contexts while gringo and cracker are generally negative.

Tell me ol' wise one....who uses this word today in a context where it's NOT an insult.
    Everywhere in Hawaii; the place where the word originated from.

So just HOW is it used as an insult then???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I believe I posted earlier in the thread as to how it could be used as an insult.

• so Rockadelic was misinformed and we all learned something.

i just realized that most of my co-workers are racist as well. is it bad when i care more about my bosses bigotry? i know some of my co-workers are good dudes at heart, just misinformed, so i'll point it out when it happens but won't make a big deal. but when one of my bosses says something it really strikes a nerve in me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just realized that most of my co-workers are racist as well. is it bad when i care more about my bosses bigotry? i know some of my co-workers are good dudes at heart, just misinformed, so i'll point it out when it happens but won't make a big deal. but when one of my bosses says something it really strikes a nerve in me.
    It's easier to hate your boss instead of your co-workers

I believe I posted earlier in the thread as to how it could be used as an insult.

" It is used as slang for Caucasian now and it can be an insult; depending on the context. Do the knowledge before passing judgement, thanks."

An insult meaning WHAT???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Shit...you mean it DOESN'T mean White man with a big dick.....damn...my bad
    No, but it could mean ignorant white boy which you seem to fall under based on your posts in this thread.

No, but it could mean ignorant white boy which you seem to fall under based on your posts in this thread.

So you use a word, a single friggin word, that, depending on the tone of your voice could mean "Very nice caucasion man" or "Ignorant white boy" and I'm the ignorant one???

• So you use a word, a single friggin word, that, depending on the tone of your voice could mean "Very nice caucasion man" or "Ignorant white boy" and I'm the ignorant one???

right, its those damn hawiins with their hawiin speak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

So you use a word, a single friggin word, that, depending on the tone of your voice could mean "Very nice caucasion man" or "Ignorant white boy" and I'm the ignorant one???
    I never once said that it could mean "very nice Caucasian man." Please read my previous posts because they answer all the questions you have asked in this thread.

I never once said that it could mean "very nice Caucasian man." Please read my previous posts because they answer all the questions you have asked in this thread.

I've read your posts...."It is used as slang for Caucasian now and it can be an insult".....and I'm sorry to say, every single "slang" word that one race uses to refer to another race is insulting.....I can just hear Mallard's boss saying.

"The G* is used as slang for Asians, but I didn't mean it as an insult"

Time to step back

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The difference is in the origin of the words. All of the words you have mentioned have always been insulting while "haole" has a completely different origin which I outlined earlier. That is why there is a dual meaning to the word. If my posts have not been clear enough on this subject, I suggest doing some research on the topic. Here's a link to start you off although it's a bit off, it has a pretty good description of the origin of the word: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/haole.html

The difference is in the origin of the words. All of the words you have mentioned have always been insulting while "haole" has a completely different origin which I outlined earlier. That is why there is a dual meaning to the word. If my posts have not been clear enough on this subject, I suggest doing some research on the topic. Here's a link to start you off although it's a bit off, it has a pretty good description of the origin of the word: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/haole.html

Dude...come to grips with it....this chick was using it as an insult....after this exchange I'm sure you know why...I'm an ignorant white man.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Dude...come to grips with it....this chick was using it as an insult....after this exchange I'm sure you know why...I'm an ignorant white man.
    I'm sure she could have been using it as an insult but I don't think you really understand how the word is used in Hawaii. Haole is frequently used to describe a Caucasian person. You will probably hear the word haole more than white or Caucasian when describing people. Hapa haole (hapa meaning half) is practically the only thing you will hear used to describe a half white/half whatever person.

She definitely could have clarified the meaning of the word to you but it would also be nice if people did not catch feelings over shit they don't even know the meaning of.

I'm sure she could have been using it as an insult but I don't think you really understand how the word is used in Hawaii. She definitely could have clarified the meaning of the word to you but it would also be nice if people did not catch feelings over shit they don't even know the meaning of.
    So seriously....children in Hawaii are taught in school that this is a perfectly acceptale "slang" word for white people??

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this entire thread is a very bad look for many soulstrutters. Did anyone take into account that R*ch felt that he was being insulted? the actual definition of the word is immaterial.

I am Jewish and don't hide it, however if some guy kept referring to me by saying "hey Jew" I'd be pretty fucking offended.

does intent mean anything to anyone but me?

now back to the original topic. My parents are both non-mute deaf people and have that very loud "deaf" voice. I used to get insults from kids and dumb comments from adults all the time because of them. Shit pissed me off to a major level. It seemed to happen a lot at restaurants and because I just grew sick of it I would lash back at the people doing it. There were many times where we had to leave a place cause I would get up and throw stuff or get loud and insult people back.

Bottom line people who are different scare those that consider themselves normal. Its a sad truth of life. It goes for racism, classism, and every other form of organized/ disorganized hate.

patience and tolerance of others is the only way to put up with it. Sinking to their level does nothing but put you both at the bottom.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    So seriously....children in Hawaii are taught in school that this is a perfectly acceptale "slang" word for white people??
    I don't think I ever mentioned children learning to use it as slang in school. The only time I've ever heard it mentioned during a class by a teacher was the Captain Cook story I mentioned earlier. Haole is used in the exact same way as white or black are used to reference Caucasians or Africans.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I am Jewish and don't hide it, however if some guy kept referring to me by saying "hey Jew" I'd be pretty fucking offended.
    ad*m, what if they were really far away, and you had accidentally dropped your wallet or something? they could be saying "hey you!",and were just trying to be helpful or something... seriously. sayin'. peace, -jacksoff

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this entire thread is a very bad look for many soulstrutters. Did anyone take into account that R*ch felt that he was being insulted? the actual definition of the word is immaterial.

does intent mean anything to anyone but me?
    Like I mentioned earlier, she probably could have done a better job of clarifying things with him. I would not be suprised if she just moved to the mainland or was a bit airheaded because it is all used pretty frequently here while most people on the mainland do not know what it means. I personally do not use the word very often and probably wouldn't use it in mixed company, but I could see how this girl could be saying it without intending any harm.

I really don't want to say this, but unless you have grown up in Hawaii or lived here for a while, you will most likely not understand this at all.

I don't think I ever mentioned children learning to use it as slang in school. The only time I've ever heard it mentioned during a class by a teacher was the Captain Cook story I mentioned earlier. Haole is used in the exact same way as white or black are used to reference Caucasians or Africans.

Your contention that this is just an everyday word that is SOMETIMES used as an insult is just not true.....here's what I found in the Encyclopedia...it DOES go on to say that waaaaaay back it had another meaning.

"In the islands of Hawaii, the word haole is used to annoy people whose skin is all white. In the past, it was a more broad label stuck on everyone who was not kanaka maoli, a true-person-from-here"

Maybe I just don't understand what that word "annoy" means in Hawaiian

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm sure the encyclopedia is a definitive source on Hawaiian culture. If you choose to believe an encyclopedia over someone who has lived in Hawaii all their life, feel free to do so. I certainly do not feel annoyed when I am referred to as hapa haole and my relatives visting this week from Vancouver did not feel annoyed when they used the word.

What happened to John Book? He would have normally been all over this thread by now

• this entire thread is a very bad look for many soulstrutters.

there's like 5 dudes participating and i don't think anyone's really tried to say anything truly hurtful. just trying to clarify a misunderstanding. the argument has gotten to this point because both sides are justifiable under certain conditions (tone of voice, situation, etc).

why is it a bad look for many?

I'm sure the encyclopedia is a definitive source on Hawaiian culture. If you choose to believe an encyclopedia over someone who has lived in Hawaii all their life, feel free to do so. I certainly do not feel annoyed when I am referred to as hapa haole and my relatives visting this week from Vancouver did not feel annoyed when they used the word.

What happened to John Book? He would have normally been all over this thread by now

You've educated me....I must have struck a nerve in the other half, not the Hapa Haole....If I go to Hawaii and am referred to by the clerk at the Hotel, or a waiter as a Haole I won't be insulted.....if some guy yells out "Haole Go Home" I'll know the difference......but in Texas, where this chick referred to me constantly as "that haole" or "damn haole".....while there were many other caucasions that she DIDN'T use that term on.....I'll know I was just "disrispecfellated"

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Guzzo, made you an avatar...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this entire thread is a very bad look for many soulstrutters.

there's like 5 dudes participating and i don't think anyone's really tried to say anything truly hurtful. just trying to clarify a misunderstanding. the argument has gotten to this point because both sides are justifiable under certain conditions (tone of voice, situation, etc).

why is it a bad look for many?

because where as most times something that someone took as an insult would just be accepted at face value this is being challeneged as if the guy who was called names is somehow in the wrong.

simply not a good look.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You've educated me....I must have struck a nerve in the other half, not the Hapa Haole....
    Plaese to clarify what this means.

but in Texas, where this chick referred to me constantly as "that haole" or "damn haole".....while there were many other caucasions that she DIDN'T use that term on.....I'll know I was just "disrispecfellated"
    You neglected to mention this before. In that case, I would have to agree with you. Like I said before, context is very important.

You've educated me....I must have struck a nerve in the other half, not the Hapa Haole....

What does "Hapa Haole" mean

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

What does "Hapa Haole" mean
    I already said what it meant earlier in the thread.

• because where as most times something that someone took as an insult would just be accepted at face value this is being challeneged as if the guy who was called names is somehow in the wrong.

so your stance is that, no matter the connotation, labeling is inherently wrong and any labeller is subject to the type of retribution seen here?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    because where as most times something that someone took as an insult would just be accepted at face value this is being challeneged as if the guy who was called names is somehow in the wrong.

simply not a good look.
    Guzzo, you're really hurting my feelings by referring to me as someone instead of my name.