"The Score" show on Trio

LooksLikeSinbadLooksLikeSinbad 187 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I caught a few minutes of this show last night. They interview film composers about writing music, scoring scenes, etc. I saw Danny Elfman's segment but missed Lalo Schiffrin. Elfman told a story that Hitchcock wanted no music for the shower scene in Psycho but the composer wrote music anyway and convinced Hitchock to give it a chance so he listened to it and changed his mind. It was also interesting to hear him compare the old school sound stage composers style to the newer computer-based musicians. Back in the day they were limited in time because of the cost of recording symphony studio musicians on a sound stage. Sometimes film directors didn't hear the score before the actual recording session. Today, composers like Elfman can use midi to compose their score on the computer and try it out with the film. They can bounce it off of the director, revise it and refine it at home before going into the studio to record the final version with an orchestra.

Did anyone catch the Lalo Schiffrin part?

It looks like they are rerunning it on xmas eve: http://www.triotv.com/schedules/sched.php3

Future guests are:
SYDNEY POLLACK, DAVE GRUSIN, MARILYN & ALAN BERGMA

KEVIN SPACEY, TED DEMME, CHRIS YOUNG

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I caught a few minutes of this show last night. They interview film composers about writing music, scoring scenes, etc. I saw Danny Elfman's segment but missed Lalo Schiffrin. Elfman told a story that Hitchcock wanted no music for the shower scene in Psycho but the composer wrote music anyway and convinced Hitchock to give it a chance so he listened to it and changed his mind. It was also interesting to hear him compare the old school sound stage composers style to the newer computer-based musicians. Back in the day they were limited in time because of the cost of recording symphony studio musicians on a sound stage. Sometimes film directors didn't hear the score before the actual recording session. Today, composers like Elfman can use midi to compose their score on the computer and try it out with the film. They can bounce it off of the director, revise it and refine it at home before going into the studio to record the final version with an orchestra.

Did anyone catch the Lalo Schiffrin part?

It looks like they are rerunning it on xmas eve: http://www.triotv.com/schedules/sched.php3

Future guests are:
    SYDNEY POLLACK, DAVE GRUSIN, MARILYN & ALAN BERGMA

KEVIN SPACEY, TED DEMME, CHRIS YOUNG

I am so pissed that TRIO can no longer be seen on DirecTV. It's the only thing that has made me even consider getting cable. TRIO has some lame shows, but when it's on, it's seriously ON. Marathons of Cassavette's beatnik TV show "Johnny Staccatto"? Who else is gonna do shit like that?

And this "The Score" show sounds super cool. Aaaargh, this sucks.