Worst Movies of 2005

124»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    But as a comic book adaptation i'd be hard pressed to think of anything that has ever come close.. other than maybe hellboy, in translating the graphic panel into the moving image.

Here's one: American Splendor.

man, this is a serious cop out. American splendor was not a comic translation, foll. It was about Harvey Pekar's life being turned into a comic.

HUGE difference. Note it.

The question I was addressing was what films have managed to translate the medium of the comic page to film. I think "The Hulk" TRIED to do that, but visually, I don't think it succeeded so well. I thought "American Splendor" found a way to transition between the two nicely.

And sure, I'm more than willing to agree that "Sin City" did a great visual job. I've never knocked that. But like "Hellboy", I didn't find either film compelling outside of the visual realm.

• Also was not very impressed by:

A History Of Violence (Heard so many good things then when I saw it I was like )
    Broken Flowers (Same thing really as with A History Of Violence)
    Sin City (Cool aesthetics but pretty bland otherwise)

Overall not a great year for films nothing really had tickled my fancy much, no real little gems like "Sideways" etc.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

and incidently these are usually refered to as

Comix

not graphic novels

that term usually means shit like sandman .. ie over priced "sophisticated" shit for dorks who still sleep in spiderman pj's.

Does anybody else suspect that people who sweat this distinction might be:

dorks who still sleep in spiderman pj's

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Comix

not graphic novels

that term usually means shit like sandman .. ie over priced "sophisticated" shit for dorks who still sleep in spiderman pj's.

classic

but there needs to be a distinction don't you think between a dude like pekar who's writting from the perspective of his own life in an autobiographical manner as oppossed to a dude wrtting about a giant green dude who crushes shit.

the term graphic novel is almost universally applied to things like "dark knight returns" and what have you.

personally i prefer Funny Pages myself

• I dont know if it was 2004 or this year but "Constatine" was the WORST PIECE OF SHIT I saw this year.

Comix

not graphic novels

classic

but there needs to be a distinction don't you think between a dude like pekar who's writting from the perspective of his own life in an autobiographical manner as oppossed to a dude wrtting about a giant green dude who crushes shit.

I agree. Nonetheless:

"Ecthcuthe me! In addition to Harry Potter, I altho enjoy comicth. No, not "graphic novelth," thtupid--comicth![/b]

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    worst movie i saw this year was Crash. i wanted to strangle someone after I saw it - ideally Paul Haggis, the Canadian guy who wrote it.

yes! so overrated.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

man i used to work in a slide library for a few years.. it was run by a couple lesbians who would tape gilmore girls and watch it at lunch

they were MASSIVE harry potter fans. they were also avid Zena Warrior Princess fan fic fanatics.

how they got PHD's is beyond me.

man i used to work in a slide library for a few years.. it was run by a couple lesbians who would tape gilmore girls and watch it at lunch

they were MASSIVE harry potter fans. they were also avid Zena Warrior Princess fan fic fanatics.

how they got PHD's is beyond me.

Oh, there are lots of people like that in the academy--don't let Oliver tell you different.

There's a "Star Wars Studies" dude in every program...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Why hasn't "The Watchmen" been made into a movie yet despite decades of interest?

About 10 years ago Terry Gilliam was rumored to be working on adapting it. Trouble is, the main storyline is kinda irrelevant now (the USA/Russia nuke stand-off).
    I think it would be incredibly hard to make that into a movie, even with CGI taking care of the Dr Manhattan stories. As much as i'd love to see a movie version, I think it's best left alone. Trouble is, with the way Hollywood is running out of ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if it did come about...

Why hasn't "The Watchmen" been made into a movie yet despite decades of interest?

About 10 years ago Terry Gilliam was rumored to be working on adapting it. Trouble is, the main storyline is kinda irrelevant now (the USA/Russia nuke stand-off).
    I think it would be incredibly hard to make that into a movie, even with CGI taking care of the Dr Manhattan stories. As much as i'd love to see a movie version, I think it's best left alone. Trouble is, with the way Hollywood is running out of ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if it did come about...

Actually, it was in pre-production until recently but the movie get set-back for the umpteenth time again last week when the studio sold the project off to another. New director, new writer will probably have to be brought in.

The main challenge, to me, with turning this into a movie is figuring out how to stay true to the visual quirks of the comic and I don't know if a movie can do that. The film screen just can't function like the page.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I think it would be incredibly hard to make that into a movie, even with CGI taking care of the Dr Manhattan stories. As much as i'd love to see a movie version, I think it's best left alone[/b]. Trouble is, with the way Hollywood is running out of ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if it did come about...

Fuggit, I think this one is best left to the connoisseurs. If I had time, I'd make a "cast not your pearls before swine" graemlin.

I think it would be incredibly hard to make that into a movie, even with CGI taking care of the Dr Manhattan stories. As much as i'd love to see a movie version, I think it's best left alone[/b]. Trouble is, with the way Hollywood is running out of ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if it did come about...

Fuggit, I think this one is best left to the connoisseurs. If I had time, I'd make a "cast not your pearls before swine" graemlin.

Naw, I agree. Great story, great book. Does not need a cinematic treatment.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Actually we have a deal. If I ever get the chance to bang Monica Bellucci then I am allowed to, and if she ever gets the chance to bang Johnny Depp then she is allowed to. Sweet, huh?

You'll most likely be able to fuck Monica belluci before Johnny depp gets Richard Greco/Scott baio enough to start banging all his fans. Good luck with that!

ie over priced "sophisticated" shit for dorks who still sleep in spiderman pj's.

Okay, I'm signing out now. Night strut.

- spidey

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

The main challenge, to me, with turning this into a movie is figuring out how to stay true to the visual quirks of the comic and I don't know if a movie can do that. The film screen just can't function like the page.
    I liked Terry Gilliam's idea of making it into a mini-series. I agree with the visual quirks, which is what really made the comic for me (it was the first thing I read that took full advantage of the forum). They'll probably end up doing a voice-over for that kid reading the pirate stories or something. Or they'll just gut out the pirate business (which was really my favorite part).