Worst Movies of 2005

Comments

• episodes I - III are the cheesiest shit ever, pure time wastin

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    WRONG. Star wars 3 was bangin. I think this just shows how disconected odub is from the geeks.

• What about this one?

Now that's a true terd.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think this just shows how disconected odub is from the geeks.

HA

• Ha ha, there was another disaster of a movie I saw. What was it called again? That Paul Schrader Exorsist movie. Oh boy... As if he had to reinvent cinema all over again.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    The Dukes of Hazzard

Hands down the worst movie I saw last year. My girlfriend put it best: "They should've taken 3 episodes of the TV show, removed the commercials, and put that out instead."

I'd take Coy and Vance over Knoxville and Stiffler any day.

• Hands down the worst movie of 2005 and possibly ever was Gus Van Sant's "Last Days". I wasted 4 dollars and an hour and a half of my life last night that I want back god damnit.

I agree. Worst shit i've ever seen.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Dukes of Hazzard

Hands down the worst movie I saw last year. My girlfriend put it best: "They should've taken 3 episodes of the TV show, removed the commercials, and put that out instead."

I'd take Coy and Vance over Knoxville and Stiffler any day.

Saw this at the Drive-In this summer. Or should I say I slept through it at the drive-in. Thank God 'Sky High' was on first, that was actually enjoyable kid fluff. 'Dukes' was ill-conceived on almost every possible level. It's like they TRIED to make it as unpleasant as possible. Burt Renyolds as Boss Hogg? I don't think you could miscast something any worse. Horrible. Makes the Coy and Vance episodes look like Shakespeare.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Star Wars III was quite good i would say, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than the 2 before this one (but then again how hard can that be?)

That's the way I feel too. After #1 and #2, my hopes were way down, and I was pleasantly surprised by the conclusion. That scene where Palpatine shows his true colors and kills Sam L/Windu was great. Truly scary performance by Ian McDiarmid. It's not an exceptional movie but I wasn't as mad at it as I thought I would be. All in all, when it comes to the prequels, Lucas should have stuck with sketching out the storyline and executive producing, leaving the script and direction to people who are actually good at this.

I haven't seen Fantastic Four, which is strange for a Marvel buff like myself, but after that Hulk stinker, I got a bit jaded.

• Fantastic 4 was the worst movie I saw all year. My girlfriend and I both feel asleep during the big action scene at the end.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Co-Sign on Hitchikers Guide To The Universe. I was counting the minutes until I could get out of the theater.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Could SWIII be even more divisive than the MTA strike? Hmmm....

Sorry, but I can't even pull off one of those, "I respect those who disagree" but I don't. The movie was wack and people who defend it need to get off the pipe. But hey, people on this board seem to think "Sin City" was a cinematic marvel too so clearly, there's no accounting for taste.

It's amazing how much style gets over instead of substance these days; all you need to do is throw enough eye candy with a thin layer of "darkness" slathered on top and people are like, "WOW, that was amazing!"

You could call SWIII awesome if A) you really, really, really like lightsaber battles - and I freely admit, the movie overfloweth with some good fight choreography, B) you can overlook a complete absence of even half-assed dialogue, acting, cinematography and narrative arc, and C) you are so desparate to relive your youth that you let the last three minutes (foreshadows of EPs IV-VI) brainwash you in forgetting EPs I-III. I admit, the ending was emotionally powerful but only because it tapped into my nostalgia.

Speaking of which, please to explain: how exactly was this film better than "Return"? Sure, the Ewoks were a mind-blowingly stupid idea but stupider than say...Hayden Christensen's acting? Or saddling the great James Earl Jones with a phrase like, "Where is Padme?" Or having Obi Wan ride a giant, yelping lizard? Or [add in a gazillion more examples here]

Batches, plaese.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But hey, people on this board seem to think "Sin City" was a cinematic marvel too so clearly, there's no accounting for taste.

It's amazing how much style gets over instead of substance these days; all you need to do is throw enough eye candy with a thin layer of "darkness" slathered on top and people are like, "WOW, that was amazing!"

Sin City was a very well put together, highly stylized and imho quite beautiful action film. What else did you want it to do or be? What would've made it more substantial?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    But hey, people on this board seem to think "Sin City" was a cinematic marvel too so clearly, there's no accounting for taste.

Sin City was a very well put together, highly stylized and imho quite beautiful action film. What else did you want it to do or be? What would've made it more substantial?

Sin City was a cool movie, but the non-linear storyline thing has been done much better, like in Pulp Fiction. The Josh Harnett vignettes did nothing to advance the plot. That said, it was the best movie that I've seen in a theater in a while & I'm looking forward to seeing any director's cut.

Batman was pretty good, too.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    no doubt Charlie and The Chocolate Factory sucked.

you're all crazy! depp rules!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Could SWIII be even more divisive than the MTA strike? Hmmm....

Movies like this, King Kong and Sin City part the waters because the viewer must be willing to accept the iconic and archetypical language of comic books and pulp litterature. It is difficult for directors to convert this to a moving image and it's not easy to pull it off for the actors either.

I didn't find the acting in Sin City to be bad. I thought it was in complete accordance with the code of exaggerated emotion that is perfect for the genre. They could pull it off, Hayden Christensen and his cohorts couldn't (barring Ian McDiarmid), but I think this is mostly because the script gave them fuckall to work with and because Lucas sucks at directing his actors.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How can anyone that grew up with the og star wars give any creedance to that pap.

Because, like, the dude who invented Star Wars... He made it. I prefer George Lucas' version of Star Wars to any other version I'm aware of. Love to see Odub's fan fic tho.

Episode III was 90% garbage with 10% decent action sequences. The best thing about the movie is that it means Lucas will stop destroying his own legacy.

I mean, dude, Miles Davis was the fucking man. That doesn't mean "Doo-Bop" wasn't complete crapola.

Moreover, the only Star Wars movie that's worth a schitt--Empire Strikes Back--wasn't even directed by Lucas.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Sorry, but I can't even pull off one of those, "I respect those who disagree" but I don't. The movie was wack and people who defend it need to get off the pipe. But hey, people on this board seem to think "Sin City" was a cinematic marvel too so clearly, there's no accounting for taste.

Anyone that's read the graphic novels (read comics) would be able to appreciate Sin City. Besides that, I think Sin City stands alone as far as cinematics go.

• Moreover, the only Star Wars movie that's worth a schitt--Empire Strikes Back--wasn't even directed by Lucas.

wow faux is letting his inner-nerd shine through

Moreover, the only Star Wars movie that's worth a schitt--Empire Strikes Back--wasn't even directed by Lucas.

wow faux is letting his inner-nerd shine through

Why--cuz I went to see the movies back when I was in elementary school?

I stopped short of reading the novelizations and investing in role-playing game spin-offs... and unlike some SoulStrut posters, those activities definitely weren't the focus of my twenties.

• I stopped short of reading the novelizations and investing in role-playing game spin-offs... and unlike some SoulStrut posters, those activities definitely weren't the focus of my twenties.

yeah i know, your more of a d&d guy

I stopped short of reading the novelizations and investing in role-playing game spin-offs... and unlike some SoulStrut posters, those activities definitely weren't the focus of my twenties.

yeah i know, your more of a d&d guy

Whenever the world of rap intersects with the world of goblins, demons, wizards and elves, I'm there.

• Could SWIII be even more divisive than the MTA strike? Hmmm....

You could call SWIII awesome if A) you really, really, really like lightsaber battles - and I freely admit, the movie overfloweth with some good fight choreography, B) you can overlook a complete absence of even half-assed dialogue, acting, cinematography and narrative arc, and C) you are so desparate to relive your youth that you let the last three minutes (foreshadows of EPs IV-VI) brainwash you in forgetting EPs I-III. I admit, the ending was emotionally powerful but only because it tapped into my nostalgia.

Speaking of which, please to explain: how exactly was this film better than "Return"? Sure, the Ewoks were a mind-blowingly stupid idea but stupider than say...Hayden Christensen's acting? Or saddling the great James Earl Jones with a phrase like, "Where is Padme?" Or having Obi Wan ride a giant, yelping lizard? Or [add in a gazillion more examples here]

Batches, plaese.

I liked Sin City. Ain't seen SWIII.

ODub, please to post movies you liked in the "Best of" thread. I need context here.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Anyone that's read the graphic novels (read comics) would be able to appreciate Sin City. Besides that, I think Sin City stands alone as far as cinematics go.

I read graphic novels/comics. I partake in what works...WITH THE FORM. That doesn't mean that shit translate to the screen. Hard boiled scripting works fine on the page but it's another thing entirely when you have actors delivering lines that sound like a parody of Hammett prose. The one thing Sin City was able to get was a sense of visual style down but if I wanted that, I'd just go back and look at the original Frank Miller.

Why hasn't "The Watchmen" been made into a movie yet despite decades of interest? Because THAT SHIT DOESN'T TRANSLATE OFF THE PAGE. And there's nothing wrong with that. Somethings are better left in their original form and there's not a need to cannibalize everything into a movie. "Sin City" was a great idea for a film but in the end, I just don't think it pulled it off. Not remotely.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Sin City was a very well put together, highly stylized and imho quite beautiful action film.

The Mickey Rourke storyline could have been expanded into an entire film on it's own. Dope.

• I'm have to say the worst movie of 2005 for me was DOOM. That one was just terrible, the Rock didn't even do the eye thing. Video games don't make the best movies. I kinda got persuded into seeing that one because of my brother in law. I def wasn't feelin it.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Ok Hayden Christensens actin was poo & i sure wouldnt have chose him for the lead. I think alot of that has to do with lucas' demands on him aswell tho. Return was essentially a bunch of action scenes strung together with little substance imo. What parts of return make it a superior movie?
    Im a big romero fan & i was a little dissapointed with land of the dead. In a similar way its changed alot from his original zombie movies but its not 77/78 anymore & times have changed.

• Whenever the world of rap intersects with the world of lil trolls, I'm there.

I read graphic novels/comics. I partake in what works...[/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Land of the dead was dumb, but fun to watch as a rental. A lot of these really bad movies I didn't even go see, so I can't really judge them. Fantastic 4 was fine for a rental.

So based on what I actually went to the theatre to see, I would have to say that Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was the worst. I only went because HJ loves Johnny Depp, and even she thought it sucked. Actually I think she hated it more than I did. I was just bored. She was pissed.

Actually we have a deal. If I ever get the chance to bang Monica Bellucci then I am allowed to, and if she ever gets the chance to bang Johnny Depp then she is allowed to. Sweet, huh?

And yes, the last star wars was crappy, but not nearly as crappy as the 2 before it, which made it seem better than it actually was. And I think Ollie right in that the last 3 minutes were cool enough to make me leave and say "hey that was cool!" before I realized that no, it actually wasn't.

Also the Death Of Jar Jar Binks should have been in that movie to make it better. I wanted to see him catch a bad one in the worst way. LIke he'd be all "jibba jabba yousa people gonna d--- POW! POW! POW![/b]" and then his mom runs out in the street and starts sobbing over his mangled corpse like "my baby aint ever hurt nobody!!!" Then cut to Darth Vader who hears the news and he's like "hhhhhhhh-hhhhhhhh-hhhhhhhhh-it's payback time, bitch." and does a drive by in one of those little tie-fighter thingys. And then padame shows up because she's not dead yet, and she's like "This shit has to stop. Why don't we move to Endor and escape" and Darth is like "Baby I can't ever leave the hood." And then Bill Murray shows up and mopes around alot and feels lost amongst the quaint little Jedi peoples, and then Darth kills him too. And then padame is like "Dammit darth, you just killed bill murray!" and Darth says "Goddam I'm tired of you beeeyitch!" and he is about to kill her too, and she says "no wait! I'm pregnant with Luke Skyywalker!" and Darth is like "OH SHIT! you mean that dude from the 2 Live Crew! FUCK YEAH!" but then he thinks about it and he's like "Wait. That aint my baby you little ghetto ho. Luke Skywalker is black, and I'm white..." and then padame is all like "not any more," and she pulls off his helmet and its James Earl Jones and he looks in the mirror and says "Oh fuck no..." So he puts his helmet back on decides to go into real estate instead and starts plans for the death star..... and rollllll credits.