Best Movies of 2005

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Sorry too lazy to check if we've done this already. This is the end of the year movie thread, not limited to recent releases. I was busy this year and didn't peep too many flicks in the theaters. But SIN CITY melted my face.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    SIN CITY melted my face

Co-signature. Sin City was #1 this year.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• i couldnt really get into Sin City..and I really wanted to. I quit watching about 30-45 min into it. Whats up w/ that Larry Clark movie? out on DVD? I think its about time to get w/ Netflix.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I don't usually care one way or the other with these things, but are you kidding B*n? Sin City was such a terd. I could barely sit through the whole thing. No real plot, sooo fucking boring.

• I don't usually care one way or the other with these things, but are you kidding B*n? Sin City was such a terd. I could barely sit through the whole thing. No real plot, sooo fucking boring.

ban.

I mean seriously, how could you get into the whole switching characters thing? It made it impossible for me to actually get involved with the thing. Just pointless.

• I don't usually care one way or the other with these things, but are you kidding B*n? Sin City was such a terd. I could barely sit through the whole thing. No real plot, sooo fucking boring.

for real, though. it wasn't really about the story for me. it was about the face-melting visuals. and it didn't hurt that the movie featured a certain actress possessing traits prized by the superficial male. there's been a lot of comic book-style flicks over the years and this one pissed on all of them. it took every one of the previous attempts and basically perfected the art form. for real it was so next level from a visual standpoint I could watch it on mute.

Well, guess I shoulda seen it in the theatre, but at home I was like zzzzzz.... after about an hour.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i couldnt really get into Sin City..and I really wanted to. I quit watching about 30-45 min into it. Whats up w/ that Larry Clark movie? out on DVD? I think its about time to get w/ Netflix.

no distribution yet from what i can tell.
    too bad - it's the feel-good movie of the year!
    a little something for everyone: sexy boys and girls (but mostly boys cause it's Larry Clark), awkward but hot teen sex (the least graphic and most light-hearted for Clark to date), fantastic punk soundtrack, lots of skateboarding, a little violence, a lot of humour, plot ripped-off from The Warriors with The Rascals thrown in and Jeremy Scott and Janice Dickinson cameos.

i think the problem with Sin City was the order of the stories - the last story should have been second - it was the slowest and driest. I would have gladly waited to see the whores kick ass, but instead had to finish off with a lumbering love story starring Bruce Willis and jailbait Alba. But yea - on the big screen, it's fucking stunning.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sorry too lazy to check if we've done this already. This is the end of the year movie thread, not limited to recent releases. I was busy this year and didn't peep too many flicks in the theaters. But SIN CITY melted my face.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    im pretty bad at remembering things like this, but heres a few:

crash
    howls moving castle
    a history of violence

• Brokeback Mountain

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Originally I was going to say Sin City but I just got back from King Kong:

I know some people thought it was mediocre but I was thoroughly impressed, it may beat Sin City for best of 05 for me... gotta sit on it for a bit.

• Both Ed Harris and William Hurt had great performances in this one. Plus, Maria Bello was damn sexy in it. I think this is Cronenberg's best film in years. Definitely worth checking out.

• Grizzly Man

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• howls moving castle

This one is from late 2004 but everyone except the japanese had to wait forever to see this man oh man i look forward to the next Ghibli movie, it's based on a Ursula Leguinn book,can't go wrong there!

My top movies from this year:

Sin City
    March of the penguin
    Aristocrats

Man i'm forgetting something.. hmmm... will get back on this..

/Leo

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• Both Ed Harris and William Hurt had great performances in this one. Plus, Maria Bello was damn sexy in it. I think this is Cronenberg's best film in years. Definitely worth checking out.

Dude. Ed Harris and William Hurt sucked in this movie. Thier fake ass philly accents were just horrible and so over the top. Worst line from a movie all year.

Joey: What should I do?

William Hurts (what ever his name was): You could die joey. You could die.

WTF I laughed out loud that shit was so stupid. That movie started out ok and just got really fucking bad.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    old boy
    sin city
    hi tension
    incident at loch ness
    march of the penguins
    40 year old virgin
    CRAZY

and i know it was 2004 in asia but this one was the true mind blower of the year for me:

nobody knows

• and i know it was 2004 in asia but this one was the true mind blower of the year for me:

nobody knows

So was Old Boy wasn't it?

/Leo

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Land of the dead ftw.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    old boy
    sin city
    hi tension
    incident at loch ness
    march of the penguins
    40 year old virgin
    CRAZY

and i know it was 2004 in asia but this one was the true mind blower of the year for me:

nobody knows

oldboy was 2003.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was 2005

But Oldboy was dope.
    And I loved Nobody knows! Saw it in the theater and bought it on DVD. The end always makes me hella sad tho.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah i know old boy is old but i saw it i nthe theatre here this year so that gets it on my list.

and yes nobody knows is that real shit.

i still need to see grizzly man which im 100% will take the title of movie of the year.. herzog is the man.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Are you serious? This move was offensively bad. I was shocked by how much stupidity Hollywood managed to package into one film. I suppose in that sense it was actually something of a triumph.

Also, I take issue with all this lauding of Sin City. Aesthetically it was very impressive, but that only gets you so far. The writing was horrific, the acting was lousy, and the plot was threadbare. A 15 minute short would have been sufficient.

I didn't see any good new movies this year that I can remember. Recently, it's been all Bollywood for me. Thank goodness Amitabh is out of the hospital.