cheap/quality turntable for sampling?

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i recently moved all my gear out of my house, except my turntables. they are staying at home. its a little weird to have them seperated. so i need something to sample from. i dont plan on doing too much scratching or anything, if i do i will bring the 1200s up here. i just need something to get sounds off of. i'm guessing belt-drive is not the way to go(flutter?). does anybody sample off a belt drive? basically, i dont want to buy another 1200 right now, cant afford it. i need something in the 100 or less range. any suggestions? is there hope? where's prof rockwell?

Comments

• it depends, how serious are you about what you're sampling for? you can sample with whatever you want, but the quality's going to vary. the turntable is also just one of many factors that control your quality. i'd say if you don't give much of a shit, just get something like this:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.46/it.A/id.2185/.f

you're probably not going to find any direct drive much cheaper than this unless you go the ebay used route. numark makes a deck similar to this one for about $200 and they have definitely proven themselves as worthy moreso recently than gemini or stanton in the turntable world.

that's what i know. good luck,

g b

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i think there's a Technics model that you can change the needle out on....should be cheap and might be able to find it at the thrifts. i think its an SL-12?
    sorta like this...

• try ebay for used stuff. i my numark tt-1's for $150 each.

• any suggestions? is there hope? where's prof rockwell?

Here I come!

Well, you got a few options: you can try going for a portable like the Numark PT-01, it's got RCA outs. And then you can use it for shopping as well. But you can't put in a custom cartridge. That will probably be the most important part, next to the tone arm.

You might as well just go with a belt drive:

Numark TT1600 - $99
    Gemini TT01 - $99
    Stanton T50x - $99

all of these have the traditional tonearm/headshell combo so you can use your headshells from your techs. I think we got most of these in stock at the shop, so I can hook a discount up. We ship too, PM me if you want...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think there's a Technics model that you can change the needle out on....should be cheap and might be able to find it at the thrifts. i think its an SL-12?
    sorta like this...

yeah i used to rock one of these in the office for a while... as wit hall belt drives thoguh there is FLUTTER... sometimes even a rumble.

not rcomended if you ask me.

try scoring a tecnics 1500 or 1700 off ebay. .they are usually cheap and are solid reliable direct drive younger bros to the 1200.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i paid less than 200 for each of my 1200s

• i paid less than 200 for each of my 1200s

me too, 150 & 165

• i also might add that it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to cue up samples ona belt drive. remember - you can't pull the record back if you plan to keep the belt in tact for longer than a month. direct drive - HIGHLY recommended for any kind of sampling. i mean if you're just recording in whole tracks, a bel drive'll do. but sampling instances is no fun with a bel drive.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    i also might add that it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to cue up samples ona belt drive. remember - you can't pull the record back if you plan to keep the belt in tact for longer than a month. direct drive - HIGHLY recommended for any kind of sampling. i mean if you're just recording in whole tracks, a bel drive'll do. but sampling instances is no fun with a bel drive.

wouldn't some decent slipmat allow you to cue the record with the belt still moving?.... I use that innersleeve cellophane shit under my mats...

• one of the few upgrades you can do on the original Technics cartridge is an Audio Technica elliptical giving you a decent sound for the price range.

• the numark portable is just fine for this purpose. i know pro producers who use it for just that. you can hold the platter and it wont cue burn. peace, stein. . .

• i also might add that it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to cue up samples ona belt drive. remember - you can't pull the record back if you plan to keep the belt in tact for longer than a month. direct drive - HIGHLY recommended for any kind of sampling. i mean if you're just recording in whole tracks, a bel drive'll do. but sampling instances is no fun with a bel drive.

wouldn't some decent slipmat allow you to cue the record with the belt still moving?.... I use that innersleeve cellophane shit under my mats...

yes, and making sure you have a good belt on it will reduce any wow and flutter. Besides, if your using it to sample just get a little extra before and after your sound you want - you're gonna chop it up anyways.