My Favorite Singers Couldn't Sing

jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
In honor of the debate in the Lay Lady Lay* thread where Neil Young and Bob Dylan's singing abilities were questioned, who are your favorite singers who are not very good singers technically but are dope nonetheless?*Interesting side note: as pointed out in the book Dylan's Vision of Sin by Christopher Ricks, the lyric "lay lady lay" is grammatically incorrect. It should be "lie lady lie".

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jimi

• Charles Wright

• Janis Joplin
    Bob Mould
    Pete Townsend (early who)
    Joe Strummer
    Cecil Taylor
    Geddy Lee(I should probably get banned for this...guilty pleasure...don't hatt)
    + lot's of blues singers who just emote rather than sing

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Geddy Lee(I should probably get banned for this...guilty pleasure...don't hatt)

I once described an LP on ebay as "Sounds like Rush without the castrated hampster vocals".....I was thoroughly trashed via email by what appeared to be The Geddy Lee Army....next copy I listed said "Sounds like Geddy Lee if you play it at 45rpm"....didn't get a single email???

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

one of the G.O.A.T.s, but not the best singer in the traditional sense.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    in honor of the title of this thread, i'd say david berman... and leonard cohen.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• - spidey

He may not have traditional chops but his vocal abilities are impressive as hell. I saw him live once and he was pretty much improvising the entire time, changing dynamics and volume and timbre throughout. It was just a constant flow of ideas. Amazing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    j mascis

• Jennifer Lopez

ok i really just like her ass

and her face before the recent round of plastic surgery

• more recently....

• one of the G.O.A.T.s, but not the best singer in the traditional sense.

HUGE cosign...

• John Prine.

• one of the G.O.A.T.s, but not the best singer in the traditional sense.

HUGE cosign...

I didn't know who that was from the picture. Lookin' like a somewhat-normal-looking Jimmy Scott.

Fuck yeah tho. Triple cosign.

• I thought it was some weird German pop star from the picture. But now that I know I have to agree...I love me some Fagen. (no ayo)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    john lydon
    joe strummer
    lee perry
    george clinton (well, he CAN sing, but he def. makes a so so natural voice sound MUCH better than it is)

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Saw them live a year and some time ago at the Universal Ampitheater...

• Stephen Malkmus-- he's not by any normal technichal measure a good singer and his pitch is mos def wobbly, but damn if he doesn't sound great on all the Pavement songs EXCEPT the ones where he's pseudo-rapping (e.g., "Stereo.")

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    perry farrell and the dead guy from blind melon

• what rock/folk singers ARE technically good singers?

Bonnie Koloc? Not that i like her music that much but still..

/Leo

That's a fair point. I took the initial post to refer to singers who, your first time hearing them, you might say "his/her voice is terrible," but they somehow put a song across really well-- Dylan and Young being two good examples. There are a ton of rock/folk singers out there who have the technically-trained polished but can't do that.

Did one of you bitches say my name?[/b]