Weekend Finds

Comments

• this crappy computer won't display pictures so i can't see what anyone else got until i go to my weekday job...

i got-
    -
    -Obo Addy- Kukrudu (Avocet)

Went to school with OBO's son, Alex. Saw his father's Afro-Funk group many times growing up. Sick.

this in Portland? do you know if OBO's still around, doin his thing? I wasn't expecting this record to be quite so good- it's

Obo is still around. He plays infrequently with his troops Okropong/Kukrudu. Okropong plays trad African and features dancers. Kukrudu is his afro-beat band. Usually he plays a split show. Currently, he is teaching at Lewis and Clark College. Obo has been playing in the schools for close to 25 years. I first saw him drum in 7th grade at Harriet Tubman Middle School circa 1981. Truly, he is a master drummer.

Okropong[/b]

Obo has that shaman thing going where he can just take over a given setting. Several years ago, he was hired by some podunk school to teach drumming and just blew everyone's minds. Obo comes from a very famous musical family in Ghana and is steeped in very old ways of teaching. He applied this rigor and wisdom to these redneck kids with amazing results. Teachers reported that in Obo's wake behavior problems just stopped, the students' ability to concentrate rose steeply and the atmosphere of the school lightened considerably.

Obo on talking drum[/b]

My favorite time seeing Obo was at a friend's farm in Wilsonville, right on the Willamette river. Kukrudu played for several hours while we swam and ate barbeque. Sadly, his recordings do not reflect the power of his live show. African-American is his best release. I've told the guys from Antibalas that they need to get with this dude when they come to town cause he would smoke their asses. All for their own benefit.

For more on Obo hit up oboaddy.com

Yo...soulstrut=tiny planet! My pops and Obo were good friends when they were both little dudes in Accra. And I went to school with Ernesto, the conguero from Antibalas, thinking that dude was on the drums... My girl's from Portland and I'm supposed to be headed out there soon. If ya'll are in contact with Obo, PM me, if you get a chance....putting my dad back in contact with him would be a good Xmas-style present....

All I found this weekend was :

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    One of the records I found that I am listening to right now is Booker T & The MGs - The Booker T Set, it is awesome, funky as hell.

Anyways, the other records, too lazy for pics today, am about to get on the phone & sort some Visa schitt out then drive to my parent's place for the holiday season.

Social Distortion - s/t
    Run DMC - Raising Hell (finally can replace the cassette)
    Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy (ditto about replacing tape)
    Crimpshrine - Duct Tape Soup
    John Coltrane - Coltrane (Impulse!)
    Also The Montgomery Express (but only the CD for $6)

• ryanryan 334 Posts

facemelting bass playing, and aaron cometbus is still writing zines. i hated fifteen though.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    this crappy computer won't display pictures so i can't see what anyone else got until i go to my weekday job...

i got-
    -
    -Obo Addy- Kukrudu (Avocet)

Went to school with OBO's son, Alex. Saw his father's Afro-Funk group many times growing up. Sick.

this in Portland? do you know if OBO's still around, doin his thing? I wasn't expecting this record to be quite so good- it's

Obo is still around. He plays infrequently with his troops Okropong/Kukrudu. Okropong plays trad African and features dancers. Kukrudu is his afro-beat band. Usually he plays a split show. Currently, he is teaching at Lewis and Clark College. Obo has been playing in the schools for close to 25 years. I first saw him drum in 7th grade at Harriet Tubman Middle School circa 1981. Truly, he is a master drummer.

Okropong[/b]

Obo has that shaman thing going where he can just take over a given setting. Several years ago, he was hired by some podunk school to teach drumming and just blew everyone's minds. Obo comes from a very famous musical family in Ghana and is steeped in very old ways of teaching. He applied this rigor and wisdom to these redneck kids with amazing results. Teachers reported that in Obo's wake behavior problems just stopped, the students' ability to concentrate rose steeply and the atmosphere of the school lightened considerably.

Obo on talking drum[/b]

My favorite time seeing Obo was at a friend's farm in Wilsonville, right on the Willamette river. Kukrudu played for several hours while we swam and ate barbeque. Sadly, his recordings do not reflect the power of his live show. African-American is his best release. I've told the guys from Antibalas that they need to get with this dude when they come to town cause he would smoke their asses. All for their own benefit.

For more on Obo hit up oboaddy.com

Yo...soulstrut=tiny planet! My pops and Obo were good friends when they were both little dudes in Accra. And I went to school with Ernesto, the conguero from Antibalas, thinking that dude was on the drums... My girl's from Portland and I'm supposed to be headed out there soon. If ya'll are in contact with Obo, PM me, if you get a chance....putting my dad back in contact with him would be a good Xmas-style present....

All I found this weekend was :

Homowo African Arts & Cultures
    4839 NE Martin Luther King Blvd, Ste 209
    Portland OR 97211
    Ph#: 503.288.3025
    Fax#: 503.331.6688
    [email]susan@homowo.org[/email]
    www.homowo.org

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

facemelting bass playing, and aaron cometbus is still writing zines. i hated fifteen though.
    I saw a "Cometbus Omnibus" of a bunch of his writing, I'm kinda over 'zines these days but yeah, Crimpshrine are rad, I thought Fifteen were OK too. But then again I only have 2 of their LPs & a couple of 7"s, I think they have about 100 releases??? One of those bands where there is something new out before you even realise the one before it was out also.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    found a few records today-

May Blitz- not the vertigo press but the paramount press
    The Bagatelle- 11pm Saturday on ABC
    NTSU Lab Band- 1976
    Millikin University Jazz band- both 1975 and 1976 lps

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

how is this?

how is this?

Don't know what to compare it to really. 9 piece group, 5 white dudes 4 black- kinda soul/psych sound. Me likes...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

how is this?

Don't know what to compare it to really. 9 piece group, 5 white dudes 4 black- kinda soul/psych sound. Me likes...

I keep trying to like this album...I like the idea of it, it's cool that it's live, and they do covers of good songs. But it just doesn't do anything for me. The version of I Can't Stand It is about the only track I can get into...they let me down big time with the version of "I've Been Trying," and too often it sounds like a hippie musical.

Damn, I didn't mean to hat on it hardcore...I honestly do just keep putting it on thinking "this time I'll like it" though, and never do...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Millikin University Jazz band- both 1975 and 1976 lps

I've got the 79 edition, which is mostly , but has one college-funky cut. How are these older ones?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    One of my favorite covers of all time.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    45s (.50 each):

My True Story - The Jive Five
    I Cried - Tammy Montgomery (Tammi Terrell)
    My Summer Love - Ruby & The Romantics
    What's Your Name? - Don & Juan
    Busy Signal - Dolly Parton

LPs ($2 each):

The Sermon - Jimmy Smith
    Inspiration Information - Shuggie Otis
    The Merle Travis Guitar - Merle Travis
    Sentimentally Yours - Patsy Cline
    S/T - Purple Image
    Power Spot - Jon Hassell
    Rashida - Jon Lucien

• had a short workday yesterday, so i went and did some digging.
    found JOHN BETSCH SOCIETY- EARTH BLOSSOM!! [/b]not in very good (plus) condition, but still serviceable, and for $5, i'm stoked. These kinds of records are real hard to turn up around here.

also picked up Abbey Lincoln on IC, People in Me. her version of Trane's Africa is a melter.

• I love this record. Found mine in a thrift store in Silver Lake. Hipsters must have been sleeping.

• One of my favorite covers of all time.

agreed. great record too. play it right after and before . orale!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    had a short workday yesterday, so i went and did some digging.
    found JOHN BETSCH SOCIETY- EARTH BLOSSOM!! [/b]not in very good (plus) condition, but still serviceable, and for $5, i'm stoked. These kinds of records are real hard to turn up around here.

also picked up Abbey Lincoln on IC, People in Me. her version of Trane's Africa is a melter.

i'm jealous. is it good though? ive never heard it, just know of it's raer factor

• had a short workday yesterday, so i went and did some digging.

i'm jealous. is it good though? ive never heard it, just know of it's raer factor

yeah, its real good. (but i also like Piano Choir )(but Betsch is cooler )

werd, now tell me where you got it

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    John Betsch is one of the more quality releases I've heard on Strata East. Not just a hype album. If you're feeling the whole spiritual/ free jazz thing, you may find yourself needing this album

• werd, now tell me where you got it

The Attic? fuck man, i thought they didnt even deal in lp's anymore

• The Attic? fuck man, i thought they didnt even deal in lp's anymore

well i guess they lost like at least half their jazz and soul LPs in that flood last year, but they've got tons of unsorted, unpriced LPs lining the shelves right now. I saw like 7 copies of 'Vital Signs' by Survivor but you never know when there could be a John Betsch sitting next to it.

now you owe me one, young the_mack

hey Carlos, I saw you got that B**** N****** for cheap on the bay, nice one.

• hey C*****, I saw you got that B**** N****** for cheap on the bay, nice one.

yeah man, all thanks to the Morocco Ebay Notification System (good lookin!)

Dude, you're avatar's killin it- what is that?

• Some nice pick-ups in the last two days. All stone mint OG's:

OST - Thunder Alley (Sidewalk)
    Art Farmer - Perception (Argo)
    Dizzy Gillespie - Afro (Norgran)
    Anita O'Day - Cool Heat (Verve)
    Chet Baker - Sings (Pacific Jazz 10")

• The Attic? fuck man, i thought they didnt even deal in lp's anymore

well i guess they lost like at least half their jazz and soul LPs in that flood last year

how ironic that a place called "The Attic" had a flood...

hey C*****, I saw you got that B**** N****** for cheap on the bay, nice one.

yeah man, all thanks to the Morocco Ebay Notification System (good lookin!)

Dude, you're avatar's killin it- what is that?

Jan and Lorraine "gypsy people". Great femme psych lp.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    got a bunch of lp's this weekend and just had a chance to listen to:

I'm typically not a huge folk fan, but damn, this thing's pretty heavy.
    Really good writing/instrument harmonies and a very captivating vibe, trippy almost.
    One of the better folkish albums I've heard. Dave, you'll want to hear this.