Weekend Finds

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
School's out so I got more time to check in with the familyI did so and came up on literally a small mother(father)loadMy dad is a very uptight guy who doesn't want his kids touching anything.He opened up his collection of LP's to me as a xmas giftBrazilian Jorge Ben and Vinicius stuff but i am really excited about the Aparecida-Foram 17 anos (looks like afro-brazilian)My dad is senegalese... mad african stuff I'm really hyped about the messe de Yaounde (left center) African masses have mad instruments and shit in them. African-Gospel? looks ill (also a nice 45 of the same type in the collection) More african thangs My parents had some interesting random stuff The grupo expirimentacion (centere) looks interesting (nice cover) and for the project I am working on the FATAH songs of resistance (no overt palestine support) will surely be useful. Not a great picture but bottom center is some celtic psych harp.Pellegrin El Khady (left and right center) is very personal to me. He is of morrocan and ghanean descent and his stuff is Afro-beat with an arab guitear and lyrick approach. He was a good friend of my dad and a uncle type figure in my life. His shows at the MTL Jazz fest as a kid were always incredible. It's funny to see that record in record stores around here. I have doubles (one autograph) and a sealed copy. The bejart ballet lp is psych But what's sweet is that I had it on reserve in a Record store (this dancer girl I checking for loves Bejart french dance choreographer) wont be spending that 10$Finally descent jazz stuff Hammond master Jimmy Smith-It's (live from his own club) Mingus live, brubeck and some Tatum. Plus highlights from an african jazz convention (bottom centre)This is a small portion of the collection (my mom has interesting quebec prog) Free great records I am loving it. I came up nicely, good tunes for the holidays.

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    wow, this is from your parents collection?
    I found some good stuff in my parents collection that I thought was ill
    like Can, Ramsey Lewis and experimental jazz but nothing like this.
    kudos to them and you!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Yeah Instant collection all free. My dad was a collectro I guess (japanese import brazilian)
    He's travelled senegal-france-canada, some of his stuff is still in senegal (international digs will take place )

Some great french stuff and quebec prog from mama Not shown here (I am planning on posting about said genres)

My older sister took some stuff before I even new about it I'll see whatsup on christmas day

• Nothing Earth-shattering but this was the first time I've gone out looking for records in probably 2 months. Being broke is a mother:

Melvin Van Peebles - Sweet Sweetback's Baaadassss Song
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Vibrations [/b](I swear I have like 3 copies of this already but can't resist buying any copy I find)
    Joe Turner And His Blues Kings - Flip Flop And Fly 78 rpm
    Les McCann - Invitation To Openness
    Zapp - Zapp II
    Roger - The Many Facets Of Roger [/b] (both the Zapp and Roger albums were super clean...seems like I run across Zapp albums a lot but they're *always* beat to shit)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• woah dude. Secret Santa sent you wendy rene?

sheeeyit.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Nah, I didn't throw my hat in this year. But if an eBay seller who was so concerned with "WU-TANG SAMPLE - LISTEN!" in their item description that they neglected to list the song title can be my Secret Santa, then yes. The Wendy Rene is right on time.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

DIE!!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    just a few on the cheap. havent bought records in 2 weeks. kinda feels good not to be spending all my time looking for records. nice finds drew, how's the george kerr? looks dope

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Nice on the ebenezer

• this crappy computer won't display pictures so i can't see what anyone else got until i go to my weekday job...

i got-
    -Andrew Hill- One for one (Blue Note. feels great to cross this off the long-time wantlist, especially when the record is easily as good as i'd hoped, beautiful, NM copy)
    -Clarence Wheeler - Love I've been Looking for (Atlantic)
    -Obo Addy- Kukrudu (Avocet)

picked up the 1st Pearls Before Swine- One Nation Underground If i don't like this, should i bother with any of their other releases? not feelin it...

estate sale rant: stopped on the way into work this morning. I know this type of digging is all about patience and persistence, but i haven't copped anything good all year at estate sales. Why is there an unwritten rule that every estate sale have at least one copy of the AWB s/t album? today they had 2. i mean its a great record but enough already!!

dude you dont like that Pearls Before Swine????!!?!

if u dont like that, i wouldnt bother with the rest. i would still check out Use of Ashes though. its pretty different than that one. much more mellow. very beautiful stuff

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    dude you dont like that Pearls Before Swine????!!?!

if u dont like that, i wouldnt bother with the rest. i would still check out Use of Ashes though. its pretty different than that one. much more mellow. very beautiful stuff

is correct.

• dude you dont like that Pearls Before Swine????!!?!

this is what i imagine Hcrink looking like

yeah maybe i need to give it another spin. I mean its aiight but it just doesn't sound that good to me. this guy sings with a lisp or something? i do like mellow though...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dudes lisp voices kinda ruins it for me too. Maybe I should listen again but I don't know. I like Randy Burns on ESP disk alot better.

Mailman just brought me a Perry Robinson 4- "funk dumpling" on BYG. Great line up with Kenny Barron, Henry Grimes and Paul Motian.

Nice on the ebenezer
    ? i kinda like it. wierd moog noises over afro-disco beats

morroco, not you too!!! dudes are trippin. tom rapps voice is

• this crappy computer won't display pictures so i can't see what anyone else got until i go to my weekday job...

i got-
    -Andrew Hill- One for one (Blue Note. feels great to cross this off the long-time wantlist, especially when the record is easily as good as i'd hoped, beautiful, NM copy)
    -Clarence Wheeler - Love I've been Looking for (Atlantic)

picked up the 1st Pearls Before Swine- One Nation Underground If i don't like this, should i bother with any of their other releases? not feelin it...

estate sale rant: stopped on the way into work this morning. I know this type of digging is all about patience and persistence, but i haven't copped anything good all year at estate sales. Why is there an unwritten rule that every estate sale have at least one copy of the AWB s/t album? today they had 2. i mean its a great record but enough already!!

u gotta relisten to the last track on the pearls lp"surrelist waltz" thats been my jammy as of late..heavy shit

• fairly recent (within the last month or 3). i love motown instrumental albums.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Someone was saying in the piano trio thread that the SS cover of Money Jungle is better than the UA with the photo

mmm I don't thank so...

PS nice finds

• Nice on the ebenezer
    ? i kinda like it. wierd moog noises over afro-disco beats

never heard this one, but his more rootsy juju stuff (no moog or disco) is definitely

u gotta relisten to the last track on the pearls lp"surrelist waltz" thats been my jammy as of late..heavy shit
    duly noted

• Someone was saying in the piano trio thread that the SS cover of Money Jungle is better than the UA with the photo

mmm I don't thank so...

PS nice finds

that was me. i just like the artwork better, it's more fitting for the title of the album. either way, the music itself is undeniable, and that's what counts. peace.

g b

• Local record stores, thrifts, junk sharks, et al

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    this crappy computer won't display pictures so i can't see what anyone else got until i go to my weekday job...

i got-

-

Went to school with OBO's son, Alex. Saw his father's Afro-Funk group many times growing up. Sick.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    twas a Northern week.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    damn meaty, kinda balling-out over there - northern heat, wreckanize!!!

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    some classics from this week.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Options
    Black Affairs and Belles Combo are Caribbean.

K.

• does anyone have any info on the charles brown album? can't find any info online...label is probably private: fracture electronic music catalog FEM 101. i picked it up on a whim because of the description on the back:

side one is intended to be pop music via the electronic, as opposed to the electric medium. requisite was the emphasis on dance beat, with complexity subservient to the rhythm. on side two, more unusual timbres and rhythms are explored. the material is a program based on a very unpleasant stay in the hospital with a kidney stone.[/b] or ? you decide.