the pros of acid?

smalltimehustlessmalltimehustles 15 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I'm currently messing about sampling a few tracks and beats using acid pro and I haven't the patience to read the frickin' help guide. Like always I'm trying to match up the beats to another sampled loop, has anybody got any simple advice or tips to do this? apart from using different software! It seems to going ok, but am unsure if I sound a bit like a wannabe DJ beatmixing badly...

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    OK, I'll admit to using this.

Acid is kind of like a glorified loop chopper. At least that's all it's really good for. But this seems to be what you are trying to do. Open a wav as Beatmapped, paint that sucker in, edit as desired, then use the loop marker to set the region, ctrl+M, save as, and voila, a loop.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    acid is the MSpaint of audio softwares

paint that sshit
    paint it paint it

acid is the MSpaint of audio softwares

paint that sshit
    paint it paint it

"Hmmm, sounds painted"

• have you ever created a whole track using Acid - the software...lol

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i created a whole album using that shit
    paint it paint it

• just acid?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    have you ever created a whole track using Acid - the software...lol

quite a few

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    have you ever created a whole track using Acid - the software...lol

I made entire tracks out of sound forge don't suggest it, but just have...

• slushslush 691 Posts
    acid and "THE FORGE"

this is when i was 17 years old though. still reccomended when you are broke

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i believe dangermouse used to use acid to produce bangers. maybe even the grey album. i think he's stepped his game up by now though

• is there any way of saving a project in acid into an mp3?

• is there any way of saving a project in acid into an mp3?

I think you go to FILE, RENDER AS .WAV, and choose MP3 and the bitrate you want, but I'm at work, so I'm not sure.

• thanks for the tip, I was gonna post my effort for a laugh, might do it later...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    the ability to talk to cats
    you can smell colors maaaaan
    tye dye makes sense
    its like everyone is connected in one conciousness, one one plane and we are all united as an organic mind living breathing, existing as one, time has no meaning, we are forever... until the damn bugs come back.
    Jerry man. Jerry.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    I did my first instrumental LP in acid (did'n had sampler or mpc back those daysand protools was used for the mastering).
    It's a nice and easy software, i made mixe tapes, mix cd's, each time i got to structure a beat for someone i'll do it in acid.

• in order to beatmatch in Acid you need to create a beatmap grid for each track using the Beatmapper Wizard. You only have to do it once. Then it's just a matter of adding the track to the timeline. Unless you ad a tempo marker all tracks you add should play at the same BPM.

• Acid is kind of like a glorified loop chopper. At least that's all it's really good for.

those who speak don't know....

that statement is entirely untrue. Acid Pro has plenty of other uses. Recording, sequencing, making mixtapes, etc. etc. etc.. You can do all types of shit aside forom using it to set loops. and you have to use SoundForge with it. Well, not have to, but you should. You edit your audio file in SF first and cut it to desired looping point, then once you import it into acid, it already loops properly, you just have to use other samples that loop at a similar tempo to prevent the ugly computer stretching or compressing sound that happens when you time stretch in acid too much. The cool thing about acid is that you can put a sound anywhere you want. you can "draw" or "paint" one snare in if you want. you can draw in 2 bars worth of drum sounds (you can set the snapping to a grid, set your hats on 1/8 notes, unsnap and place all your snares and kicks, then rearrange your hats however you want them, cuz fuck hats on the 8th note all day long), and once you have a workable 2 bar, you can copy and paste that shit over and over. paste it to 16, go back, make adjustments wherever, add fills, move snares, add kicks, boom. you've got a drum sequence.

i've made literally hundreds of songs and 4 albums using acid pro and soundforge. i know it's shitty i should have upped my game by now, but fuck it i am stubborn. the sound quality that comes out of acid is admittedly not the best though, it takes some serious mastering work to get shit to hit properly, especially when using samples from vinyl to make your shit. myspace.com/guntherbeats for examples if interested. feel free to hit me up with any other specific questions about either program, i may or may not know the answer.

aight.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    in order to beatmatch in Acid you need to create a beatmap grid for each track using the Beatmapper Wizard. You only have to do it once. Then it's just a matter of adding the track to the timeline. Unless you ad a tempo marker all tracks you add should play at the same BPM.

Or just have a really good ear

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Acid is kind of like a glorified loop chopper. At least that's all it's really good for.

that statement is entirely untrue. Acid Pro has plenty of other uses. Recording, sequencing, making mixtapes, etc. etc. etc.. You can do all types of shit aside forom using it to set loops. and you have to use SoundForge with it. Well, not have to, but you should. You edit your audio file in SF first and cut it to desired looping point, then once you import it into acid, it already loops properly, you just have to use other samples that loop at a similar tempo to prevent the ugly computer stretching or compressing sound that happens when you time stretch in acid too much. The cool thing about acid is that you can put a sound anywhere you want. you can "draw" or "paint" one snare in if you want. you can draw in 2 bars worth of drum sounds (you can set the snapping to a grid, set your hats on 1/8 notes, unsnap and place all your snares and kicks, then rearrange your hats however you want them, cuz fuck hats on the 8th note all day long), and once you have a workable 2 bar, you can copy and paste that shit over and over. paste it to 16, go back, make adjustments wherever, add fills, move snares, add kicks, boom. you've got a drum sequence.

i've made literally hundreds of songs and 4 albums using acid pro and soundforge. i know it's shitty i should have upped my game by now, but fuck it i am stubborn. the sound quality that comes out of acid is admittedly not the best though, it takes some serious mastering work to get shit to hit properly, especially when using samples from vinyl to make your shit. myspace.com/guntherbeats for examples if interested. feel free to hit me up with any other specific questions about either program, i may or may not know the answer.

aight.

you're not alone dude. Where the hell is Meaty?

Acid is kind of like a glorified loop chopper. At least that's all it's really good for.

aight.

Well, the whole painting thing is part of what makes it limited IMO, and you spend more effort trying to make patterns sound unlooped than on hardware. And yes the sound quality is crap.

But for arranging mixes and """mashups""" it is great. And a glorified loop chopper is a pretty useful tool. And I said I use it... what more do you want?!