Books on Jazz

2»

Comments

• Got this ages ago. My aunt is a huge swing fan and gave it to me when I started showing interest for the classics...
    No Idea to how it is. But apart from a little water damage it looks pretty good for its age

More a looker than a reader, but still...

• Thanks everyone. Hopefully, I'll be getting a handful of books for the holidays.

• Been reading this one for the last week or two. Fun read. My paperback has a different cover.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    not sure if it was mentioned yet, but i have a book that Nathan Davis wrote thats quite good. i'll post the title, i dont remmber it right now

• Been reading this one for the last week or two. Fun read. My paperback has a different cover.

Yeah, it originally came out as a 'trashy' paperback back in the 60's. Probably my favorite jazz book, Babs is the fucking man, all kinds of stories about "pimps", "hustlers", "etc.". This book is "famous" for its "liberal" use of "quotes" throughout. This is the OG cover.

I also 2nd the AB Spellman book, haven't picked it up in years but some great stories of Cecil Taylor's early days, and that's how I discovered Herbie Nichols.

Miles' autobiography is pretty over the top, definitely worth checking. Ian Carr of Nucleus fame also wrote a good Miles biography.

$??

Why the hell did they put a picture of the Duke on the cover of Babs Gonzales' autobiography???