Tom Waits appreciation

fhillysubtle1fhillysubtle1 355 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
STRAIGHT NO CHASER [Spring 1993]Interview by Jim JarmuschI have known Tom Waits now for over eight years. Tom is not only someonewhose work has always, for me, been a source of inspiration, but a man forwhom I have a very deep, personal respect. I admire him because he remainstrue to himself in both his work and his life. He follows his own code,which is not always the same one prescribed by laws, rules or theexpectations of other people. He is strong and direct. There is nobullshit surrounding the man.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    funny, I was pulling records for my show tomorrow, put on "Closing Time," which I just got at a yard sale last week and hadn't listened to yet, sat down to listen, and refreshed the messages...listening to "Ice Cream Man," it's really nice, I think I'll put it on the playlist.

Waits is one of those artists I hated until I had a girlfriend that was into him, and she made me appreciate him on some after-dinner wine and a smoke tip...

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    *appreciates*

• Waits is one of those artists I hated until I had a girlfriend that was into him, and she made me appreciate him on some after-dinner wine and a smoke tip...

Waits is the man. So good.

I had a girlfriend once, when we broke up she said "we don't even like the same music... you don't even like tom waits!" I was like, naw I do like him. I just like singing like tom waits in my boxers making fun of him just as much as LISTENING to him.

THE EARTH DIED SCREAMINNNNNNN.... caff caff.... where's mah whisky... AS I LAYYY DREAMMM INNNNNNN'

"the other fish's also in my pants..."

Apparently tom didn't talk to jon for years after that episode was shot, he was pissed about being taken out on the ocean and made sick.

There's a really funny interview with him on The Onion where he talks about dropping his kids off at a Blackalicious show, but he couldn't understand it, because he's old and that's not his for understanding. And how he likes the CD player in his car because it loves eating those silver discs.

• I fucking love Tom Waits...

And oddly enough, my introduction to Tom Waits was the album he did with Bette Midler... and shes actually bad as fuck on that album too.

Peace...
    Mimizu

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosiggity dawg.

even though he hardly ever plays out, if he does in your area... catch him...one of the most entertaining concerts I have ever seen, the music, his stories...fuggin awesome.

"Bone Machine" is tha lick.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    "in the neighbourhood" is probably my favourite tom waits track...fav whole record is rain dogs..i like the latest one also. great actor too.

• stoerokstoerok 8 Posts
    These days very much enjoying

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    does he needs one ?

+ always a hit with the ladies

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    For anyone that hasn't already seen it rent "Down by Law"

• HamHam 872 Posts
    For anyone that hasn't already seen it rent "Down by Law"

I mostly find roberto benigni kind of annoying but he's great in this one.
    "It is a sad and beautiful world."