Looking at 45’s induces headaches.

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited December 2005 in Record Collecting
I have to say I am, unfortunately, afflicted with this condition and I think it's the reason why my entire 45 set can fit in one crate. It's just so much more disheartening, for some reason, to kill hours and hours of looking at Pat Boone and Sayer sides in order to find anything even remotely close to interesting.That takes some serious focus, respect to anyone who can go longer than 3-4 hours. You earned your keep.

Comments

• I have to say I am, unfortunately, afflicted with this condition and I think it's the reason why my entire 45 set can fit in one crate. It's just so much more disheartening, for some reason, to kill hours and hours of looking at Pat Boone and Sayer sides in order to find anything even remotely close to interesting.

That takes some serious focus, respect to anyone who can go longer than 3-4 hours. You earned your keep.

Thanks!

/L

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    big up yourself.

i am of the kind where if i don't see something in the first 1/2 hour, I am out of there. I just can't do it.

• I have to say I am, unfortunately, afflicted with this condition and I think it's the reason why my entire 45 set can fit in one crate. It's just so much more disheartening, for some reason, to kill hours and hours of looking at Pat Boone and Sayer sides in order to find anything even remotely close to interesting.

That takes some serious focus, respect to anyone who can go longer than 3-4 hours. You earned your keep.

I could say the same thing about ALBUMS...you STILL gotta deal with Pat Boone and Leo Sayer before you find that elusive Skull Snaps elpee...the only difference is, at least you have covers...so, your point is?

• big up yourself.

i am of the kind where if i don't see something in the first 1/2 hour, I am out of there. I just can't do it.

I know what you mean, sometimes you feel that you got the hang of what should be in the bin or crate or whatever you sifting through, but if i feel like it or sense that there are something worth having i can look for a really long time, not a good thing to do if you won't be able to wash your hands in the near future tho' or if you're at an outside market and its cold, man sometimes your hands go really really numb and its hard even to flip the records..

Although sometime ago now that i had the chance to look at a second hand market that you could spend THAT much time..

/L

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I have to say I am, unfortunately, afflicted with this condition and I think it's the reason why my entire 45 set can fit in one crate. It's just so much more disheartening, for some reason, to kill hours and hours of looking at Pat Boone and Sayer sides in order to find anything even remotely close to interesting.

I could say the same thing about ALBUMS...you STILL gotta deal with Pat Boone and Leo Sayer before you find that elusive Skull Snaps elpee...the only difference is, at least you have covers...so, your point is?

Reading text is way harder than looking at pictures.

I hate digging through 45s.

-e

Well, I'm just saying that with lp's, at least, you have far more visual cues to go off, not to mention they're gigantic.

45's are just tought to look at. Imagine looking through a long file cabinet of mulicolored and multifonted small typed papers, looking for one sentence. That's how much of a job I feel it is looking through 45's.

No point to the post, really, I'm killing time waiting for my ride to ikea.

I could try and solicite 600 bucks for that doris lp on ebay at the moment, but that probably wouldn't go as well.

Yes, emynd presents a nice summary

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have to say I am, unfortunately, afflicted with this condition and I think it's the reason why my entire 45 set can fit in one crate. It's just so much more disheartening, for some reason, to kill hours and hours of looking at Pat Boone and Sayer sides in order to find anything even remotely close to interesting.

-e

Cats like you are why I dig for 45s. Sheeit - I can go 5 hours easy with cups of water and a bathroom break. All night, do right man.

Cats like you are why I dig for 45s. Sheeit - I can go 5 hours easy with cups of water and a bathroom break. All night, do right man.

Not only that...but when I'm doing the singles thing, seems like I'm always running into something incredible that I didn't know existed till the day I bought it. I think there were probably 20 singles for every five albums back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I think you have a better chance of finding some heat because people don't have time for 45's. Sometimes I bail on stacks of 45's when I don't see anything close to what I like. At record shows it's tough to look thru 45's though. I always seem to be on a time limit when digging. 12"'s are more of a pain in the ass then 45's though. If I have have time I'll check out as much as possible!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Not only that...but when I'm doing the singles thing, seems like I'm always running into something incredible that I didn't know existed till the day I bought it. I think there were probably 20 singles for every five albums back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I think that depends on what numbers you're counting. If you're talking about the total number of albums pressed versus 45's, it's prbably a lot closer than that since albums were pressed in higher numbers than 45's. If you're talking about the breadth of music, as in the number of original artists/compositions, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was more like 10:1 in favor of 45s (I think that was Dante's estimate at least).

I think that depends on what numbers you're counting. If you're talking about the total number of albums pressed versus 45's, it's prbably a lot closer than that since albums were pressed in higher numbers than 45's. If you're talking about the breadth of music, as in the number of original artists/compositions, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was more like 10:1 in favor of 45s (I think that was Dante's estimate at least).

That was just a random off-the-head estimate; you're probably right as far as hard facts. Thing is, when you've been cratedigging as long as I have, it just seems like I'm more surprised by the singles I find than the albums, which I may have read about somewhere, seen in other stores, etc.. But I can go to a convention and find a bunch of singles that I'd want that I know I'd never seen or heard of before. It just seems a lot less finite. I guess that's what I meant by the 20:5 45's-to-LP's comment.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man i can look at plain sleeved 12"s for days on end but i tune out after a row or two of 45s... plus i hate mixing off them and half the shit i actually find is pressed on fucking styrene.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My main problem with looking through 45s is that you see the same old bullshit OVER and OVER again around here... it is so unusual to find even a common quality 45 in nice shape for sale at ANY price in this area...

Its fucking Chicago and Rod Stewart for DAYZ if you find anything sleeved... mostly though just a grab bag of pop hits from the 60s-80s in shitty condition, piled up sleeveless...

I can get a headache going through boxes of 45s too, but its not even really an issue in these parts...

That was just a random off-the-head estimate; you're probably right as far as hard facts. Thing is, when you've been cratedigging as long as I have, it just seems like I'm more surprised by the singles I find than the albums, which I may have read about somewhere, seen in other stores, etc.. But I can go to a convention and find a bunch of singles that I'd want that I know I'd never seen or heard of before. It just seems a lot less finite. I guess that's what I meant by the 20:5 45's-to-LP's comment.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer digging through 45s over albums, because, as you say, there's simply more interesting music on singles (at least with respect to soul and funk).

• I can look at 45s for days, just stick a pile on your thumb and flip to the other thumb, you can look at about a 100 45s in a minute...I can plow through them bitches

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I can look at 45s for days, just stick a pile on your thumb and flip to the other thumb, you can look at about a 100 45s in a minute...I can plow through them bitches

that's the best technique.

• Cats like you are why I dig for 45s. Sheeit - I can go 5 hours easy with cups of water and a bathroom break. All night, do right man.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I have no problems standing in unnatural positions looking through boxes of 45s whose sleeves have been chewed by rats (no to mention the rat droppings in the bottom of the box) in some smelly basement for 8 hours without a bathroom break or food.

• Options

HEy, I need that PAt Boone if it's "Some Enchanted Evening"!!!

K.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I have no problems standing in unnatural positions looking through boxes of 45s whose sleeves have been chewed by rats (no to mention the rat droppings in the bottom of the box) in some smelly basement for 8 hours without a bathroom break or food.

ONE-UPMANSHIP.

You missed my metaphor. But, if we're speaking literally, now: I bring rubber gloves and a hospital mask if I know it's going to be a health hazard. I've learned my lesson. Blacklung Is A Fact.
    And it's not cheating to take a pissbreak.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

ONE-UPMANSHIP.

You missed my metaphor. But, if we're speaking literally, now: I bring rubber gloves and a hospital mask if I know it's going to be a health hazard. I've learned my lesson. Blacklung Is A Fact.

I hear ya. As I've gotten older, I've gotten (a bit) smarter. I make sure to bring water, maybe one of those hiking energy bars, and yes, I take that break. I like the idea of gloves and a mask, very smart move.

ONE-UPMANSHIP.

Am I in fact the only one that gets the uncontrollable urge to urinate within 20 mionutes of digging almost every single time? What's up with that?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Me, too. There, and in libraries. I can't explain it. This isn't medically verified advice, but I think it's the body saying, "See, buster? I TOLD you she's not working the counter today."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dan Berkman at JumpJump had the same complaint about 45s. Admittedly, at the time, 45s weren't bringing what they are today. So, I don't think it was worth his while. The way I see it digging is digging. If you're gonna spend 5 hours slogging through records, you should be looking for something that moves you. I always found much more interesting music on 45s. Plus, they were a whole lot cheaper. Ten years ago I would go to record shows out here and all the JBs records were selling for $50. Right there under people's noses were nice copies of Mickey and Them, Rhon Silva and Eddie Blackspeed for $2.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like/hate how one dude will bring out a ton of 45s at the record shows I go to--and of course--no one goes through it all--so you just go through a dozen boxes for 30-40 minutes and then thats it.
    But the good thing is that this one dude always has some clean goods--for cheap.

• Options
    I can look at 45s for days, just stick a pile on your thumb and flip to the other thumb, you can look at about a 100 45s in a minute...I can plow through them bitches

that's the best technique.

I get frustrated when those damn UK 45's clog up that method (I'm not made at you early Island Bob Marley pressings...or you too, Glem Miller "Where is the Love" on Doctor Bird).

K.

• Options

-e

After a while label designs trigger your synapse just as pictures do (actually faster IMO).

K.