what do you want released on DVD?

13»

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I guess it just got released in France, but a domestic release I would kill for. Letterboxed version, of course. 5.1 surround.

i just got this from netflix but it was a real bootleg vhs quality transfer. what's that all about?

The UK release of this is cheap to pick up but not a particularly good transfer either - very muddy colours and not great resolution which kind of ruins the impact of the film.

• 10 films I've been waiting for to turn up on DVD... Hopefully with English Subs...& in widescreen.

Only a couple of these have been released on DVD, but without subs or in pan & scan...

Burt Reynolds flick about finding missing links. Japanese actresses play the links. Ha!

Awesome New York cop flick.

Italian copy of Star Wars. With Rickard Kiel & Barbara Bach, Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. 1978.

La Louve Solitaire (The Lone She-Wolf) Soundtrack by Frances Lai. French chick Spy flick.

Charley Varrick

60s version of Fantomas. Damn, the French finally released 3 of the films...

Only a Russian version is available. So close...

The Green Slime. Japanese language only version.

From Kinji Fukasaku, director of Battle Royale. Dope theme song. Silly fun film.

The Black Lizard. Aaarghh waiting & waiting....

Brewster McCloud. Hard to find Robert Altman.

Deadfall. John Barry soundtrack

Shitloads more...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    La Haine. It has a region 2 release but it's never been released as a region 1 DVD. Also, the rest of the Nicolas Winding Refn Pusher series. As far as I know they've only released the first film on region 1 DVD.

Yeah the Region 2 release is poor as well with a very scratchy copy of the film and ingenious white subtitles that are impossible to read for the first 40 minutes of the film.

i guess i need to rewatch my copy, i dont remember it being that bad of quality/the subtitles being that bad/or having any problem watching it (would i need something special to watch a region 2 dvd? as i can watch my copy of la haine on my normal dvd player)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    La Haine. It has a region 2 release but it's never been released as a region 1 DVD. Also, the rest of the Nicolas Winding Refn Pusher series. As far as I know they've only released the first film on region 1 DVD.

Yeah the Region 2 release is poor as well with a very scratchy copy of the film and ingenious white subtitles that are impossible to read for the first 40 minutes of the film.

i guess i need to rewatch my copy, i dont remember it being that bad of quality/the subtitles being that bad/or having any problem watching it (would i need something special to watch a region 2 dvd? as i can watch my copy of la haine on my normal dvd player)

Actually just checked it out and the original release of the film on Tartan is Region 0 so there shouldn't be any problems playing it. The 10th anniversary release is Region 2 so you'd need a multi region player or your player chipped to watch that.

For the subtitles of the copy I watched again recently they had used the technique of laying them over the picture rather than letterboxing the film and placing them underneath.
    Although this works fine with most films the bleached out black and white of the film made the white subtitles difficult to pick up.

Also just found the first ten minutes of the print they used very dirty with lots of scratches which is pretty inexcusable for a film that's only ten years old.

Great film though and also the first thing I saw Vincent Cassel in, little realising that he would be in every transatlantic box office success in the ten years since.

• 10 films I've been waiting for to turn up on DVD... Hopefully with English Subs...& in widescreen.
    Only a couple of these have been released on DVD, but without subs or in pan & scan...

Awesome New York cop flick.

Charley Varrick

The Black Lizard. Aaarghh waiting & waiting....

Huge cosign on the Seven Ups and Charlie Varrick. I've been waiting for Black Lizard too. It was briefly available on VHS a while back...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Charley Varrick

The dvd that's been out for awhile isn't really a pan-and-scan, though, because the film was originally shot full screen. To my mind the current version is preferable to formatting it for widescreen, which would require cropping.

• ^^^ Aaah, thanks for that. I've had it on my wish list on Amazon not really sure wther the Full Screen version was just a cheapie.
    Finally they released 'Electra Glide in Blue' & 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry' in widescreen on DVD.

I'm partial to late 60s/early 70s cinema. I love the grittiness of them. All those French films like Un Flic, Le Cercle Rouge, Le Professional, etc... And of course the Italian 70s cop films. When not buying records I spend too much money at http://www.xploitedcinema.com/ & http://www.diabolikdvd.com/

• OFFICIAL SPECIAL EDITIONS CRITERIONS OF:

EL TOPO
    HOLY MOUNTAIN

PLAESE

You could go for the uncut Spanish double DVD release. I can't say I'm a great fan of Jodorowsky. I recognise him as twisted visionary, just find him hard to digest unless I'm wearing my beret. Just slightly mega-disturbing at times. Ha! Santa Sangre I could digest. Definite headfuck material.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Browse-All-Titles/El-Topo-&-Holy-Mountian-Boxset-(PAL-All-Region).html

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Is this out on dvd yet? I need this!!!
    Oh that Sonny...

• Complete seasons of Conan O'Brien...that would be massive $$ though.

I would also like to see a DVD with old live Parliament/Funkadelic footage, especially the very early TV appearances and whatnot.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Don't bother w/ the Big L 'special edition'....only difference seems to be a "making of" featurette that probably ran on E at the time of release, no commentary, and the same Coen Brothers Interview that's on the regular DVD. The way they have handled this film is a crime.

dang man...that really sucks. I wanted to see all the extra footage of dude just being dude. or maybe more footage of the "real" dude.

I still have to get it, cause my original dvd skips like mad at the first appearance of the big lebowski.

"I'm not Mr. Lebowski, YOU'RE Mr Lebowski, I'm the Dude, so thats what....SKIP.....PAUS>>>A>D>@......if you aren't into the whole brevity thing."

-pj

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• i'd prefer the first one, please -
    my vhs dub is on it's last legs.

not available on Region 1

it's fucking absurd that this is out of print.

at least Mike Leigh's Naked finally was released on DVD.

• snosno 332 Posts

Damn I almost bought the R2 10th Anniversary edition just because the box says this edition sports a new subtitle.

As for other stuff release on DVD, I am still waiting for the French to put out the DVD of "Les Documents Interdits", a percursor of the Blair Witch Project. I worn out the VHS copy I taped off the Australian boardcast a decade ago.

• i remember 'it`s your move'.used to like that shit too.

what about 'top secret'.funnier than the airplanes in my view...

the og pink panthers(not the talking pink panther crap nowadays).

english shows like these available in the states on dvd..

harry enfield
    the mary whitehouse experience
    auf wiedersehen pet
    the fast show
    shooting stars
    the word(i`d do anything to get on tv)especially the scene where lamarr tore up hammer.
    never mind the buzzcocks

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

already out on dvd...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

already out on dvd...

damn just look at the picture posted...It say dvd on it