Finally had a HD Crash!!!

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Shit Fuck Piss Cocksucker. pops has been trying to revive it all morning.day before the last day of school. all the stuff i had to print up to hand in tomorrow. power points, audio clips pics, videos. OMFG!!mp3's from the raer mp3 post.!!!not to mention the past six months worth of beats i hadnt zipped up and backed up on disc. and about a gig of samples.wow. never thought it'd happen to me.careful.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My condoloeances,

Im scared as shit about this myself. It can always creep up.

• that sucks. if i were you i'd plug the drive into another computer just to get all the important shit off it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    unfortunately it's not that simple.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    that sucks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    It's the reason I don't keep mp3's on my OS HD. And I have the shit backed up on an eternal.

I once was able to use a boot up from CD version of Knoppix to get alot of my mp3's. But that doesn't always seem to work.

Anyways, I hope you get things sorted.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I once was able to use a boot up from CD version of Knoppix to get alot of my mp3's. But that doesn't always seem to work.

Super co-sign on Knoppix, I've recommended it to a few of my friends to get data off of a FUBARed PC. For those non-nerds out there, Knoppix is a CD bootable Linux distribution that is extremely easy to use. It has built-in support for Windows file systems (FAT, NTFS), has built-in networking capabilities, and can allow you to connect to Windows file shares, or FTP/SCP those files off of your busted computer. Anyone with a PC should have a copy around in the event of a PC disaster, or if you want to get familiar with Linux in a safe enviromnent without having to rebuild your computer. Go grab your copy from here:

http://www.knoppix.org/

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Just caught this:

And I have the shit backed up on an eternal[/b].

Just caught this:

HAHAHAHA.. I really should read over my posts.

Just caught this:

hahaha.

i need a good laugh.

....my term papers......

waaahhh.

For those non-nerds out there, Knoppix is a CD bootable Linux distribution that is extremely easy to use...

thanks for the tip, but i still am not sure how or what this can do to help. doesnt help that that site is in some other wordly language i cant read.

For those non-nerds out there, Knoppix is a CD bootable Linux distribution that is extremely easy to use...

thanks for the tip, but i still am not sure how or what this can do to help. doesnt help that that site is in some other wordly language i cant read.

Click on the US/British flag for English. Wordly language heh

Knoppix is a Linux operating system. You can download it, burn it to disk and then pop it in and start up your computer. It will boot into Linux, where you should be able to get at files.

PHEW!!!

maybe it was easier than i thought!!!

my father took the actual HD out and put it in his computer, and BOOM, there was everything i feared could be lost.

!!!!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    my father took the actual HD out and put it in his computer, and BOOM, there was everything i feared could be lost.

Good thing. The words "finally" and "HD crash" just don't belong in the same sentence . This reminds me I'd better do a little backing up myself.

• I guess you learned your lesson. Don't be soft & go buy an Eternal now.

• Hm strange, the same thing happened to my sisters computer yesterday. Some file missing in the System directory. We tried to install windows again, but the Hd had no file system, supposed to be NTFS, but it was 'unknown'. So it wanted to format the hole thing, but that would have deleted all her files and stuff. Guess the Hd needs pro help!

[quoteThe words "finally" and HD crash just don't belong in the same sentence
    "it'll never happen to me"

it was a lesson i was waitin to learn.

back up yo shit.

• PHEW!!!

maybe it was easier than i thought!!!

!!!!!

sounds like it was that simple

i have two 160gb drives. one main, one to back up nightly to the other.

that sucks. if i were you i'd plug the drive into another computer just to get all the important shit off it.

you know the deal

• slushslush 691 Posts
    you guys need to winhex that shit

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    My HD started beeping & grinding the other day. Can anybody suggest a program to copy the entire drive contents (XP & all) to a new HD? I really want to avoid formatting/installing OS/installing programs all over again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    My HD started beeping & grinding the other day. Can anybody suggest a program to copy the entire drive contents (XP & all) to a new HD? I really want to avoid formatting/installing OS/installing programs all over again.
    I'd recommending backing up anything important first and then acquiring by some means Norton Ghost or any similar imaging software. Backup your stuff before you image because there's a good chance your hard drive could completely fail while imaging and then you're fucked.