Kelly Clarkson is the #1 song of the year.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah. But I don't have TV so I never saw it on TV, and the only radio I ever listen to is either Brookyn pirate reggae stations, or Hot 97, or Gary Byrd and the GBE on Sundays when it's nice out and I can drive around. So I never like "overheard" this song.

But I hear you, dog.

It's pretty cool that Gary Byrd is my local radio DJ.

• Yeah. But I don't have TV so I never saw it on TV, and the only radio I ever listen to is either Brookyn pirate reggae stations, or Hot 97, or Gary Byrd and the GBE on Sundays when it's nice out and I can drive around. So I never like "overheard" this song.

But I hear you, dog.

you know, I live in a pre-war building with super thick walls and get no radio reception, I don't watch enough tv to get cable, and for a while I only heard this song on some mix lemon-red did, but when I got to PR this summer, Kelly was my motherfucking shadow, and no planet rock type remixes either, seen. So this joint went from aiight to, why is this corny song following me. I mean restaurants, bathrooms, strip clubs (which was kinda hot), jukeboxes, dj's, everywhere. anyways, I'm over it.

pssshhhh

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    christ can someone ysi this joint?

like many others, I aint hearda that...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah. But I don't have TV so I never saw it on TV, and the only radio I ever listen to is either Brookyn pirate reggae stations, or Hot 97, or Gary Byrd and the GBE on Sundays when it's nice out and I can drive around. So I never like "overheard" this song.

But I hear you, dog.

you know, I live in a pre-war building with super thick walls and get no radio reception, I don't watch enough tv to get cable, and for a while I only heard this song on some mix lemon-red did, but when I got to PR this summer, Kelly was my motherfucking shadow, and no planet rock type remixes either, seen. So this joint went from aiight to, why is this corny song following me. I mean restaurants, bathrooms, strip clubs (which was kinda hot), jukeboxes, dj's, everywhere. anyways, I'm over it.

pssshhhh

Yeah my shit is pre-war as well. Plus the Caribbean stations are pretty good for when i just sit in my car. We got "Link Up Radio" which should be called "Talk Up Radio" and also we got "Wha-Gwan Radio" which is better. 95 point something.

But yeah man. It's funny cause the songs that I just can't fucking stand usually end up being like the "club jams" that DJs start playing again and again like Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams" Baltimore club version and shit like that. Those are the songs that follow me unfortunately, so I guess I'm just on the other side of what you're talking about.

Anyway, Kelly Clarkson, yeah man. There it go.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    is the song in question the one she made a video for? I think I caught like 2 seconds of it and quickly changed back to CNBC

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    AI check you PMs please...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Got it, and I'll hit you with an indepth reply when I get back from coffee break.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm a music critic but I work freelance. I'm not at a daily where I'd be assigned every major release every week. I pick and choose what I want to write about and that means I tend to be *disconnected* from everything save for my private mind garden.

Something like the Kelly Clarkson is some shit I would NEVER have offered to review (the CD I mean) and since the only radio I listen to is either NPR (80%) or hip-hop stations (20%), it's not like Kelly was getting mad play next to "Hyphy" and shit on KMEL.

Same goes for "My Humps": I've yet to hear this song on radio even though I know, from looking at record charts every week, that it's mega-hot. But I was never that curious to hear it given that, in general, I'm not checking for BEP.

Most importantly though? I'm a stay at home dad with an infant to take care of. You try that shit and see how "up" on anything you can stay.

'NUFF SAID.

I never heard this song.

Do you guys ever turn on the radio or TV? Honestly, this song has been UNAVOIDABLE all year.

I also didn't hear "My Humps" until someone played it for me at a record store because I was wondering what the hype was about.

Maybe you haven't heard but radio listenership is down, way down. A majority of teens listen to new music via the internet and while I'm not a teen, I also don't listen to a lot of commercial radio either.

yea, but aren't you a music critic? i'm not putting you down, but it seems kinda strange that you need someone to tell you about the two most highly played songs of the year.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dont see how you havent heard this before. I dont have cable either, but its on like every teen movie commercial, and pop radio station while im getting a haircut, Its everywhere.

And yes, the first time I heard it I thought it was unusually good. I always wondered if she wrote it herself or if it came from the matrix. I have to guess the matrix, but props to her if she did write it.

Even if she didnt though, she sings it real good.

I dont see how you havent heard this before. I dont have cable either, but its on like every teen movie commercial, and pop radio station while im getting a haircut, Its everywhere.

I don't get how this is hard to understand.

1) I have Tivo, ergo, no teen movie commercials.
    2) I have a kid, ergo, no teen movies.
    3) I get my haircut by these old Filipino dudes in the Tenderloin who only watch Channel 22, ergo, no pop radio station.

Finis.

3) I get my haircut by these old Filipino dudes in the Tenderloin who only watch Channel 22, ergo, no pop radio station.

Finis.

no, no, i believe you. I should have said its surprising.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ive probably heard this song in passing somewhere but i can't think of what it sounds like at all and haven't personally listened to it myself

I'm just saying: there's a lot of music out there and people's access to it is very different. I spent most of this past year listening to a fair amount of mainstream hip-hop and ton of old records. All the hot indie rock shit that hipster kids go nuts over? Didn't peep any of it. It's not hate: I just have limited time and given the choice between, I dunno, Demon Fuzz and The Strokes, I'm checking for Demon Fuzz first. Or Jeezy, as it were.

Finis.

no, no, i believe you. I should have said its surprising.

This is not indie rock. Its whats the the opposite of indie rock? COnglomerate rock?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is not indie rock. Its whats the the opposite of indie rock? COnglomerate rock?

Pop with a rock feel appeal to it.

B,

Naw, plain pop trying to sound like grrl rock. But whatever, I wasn't comparing Kelly to Franz - I'm just pointing out that these days, music is so vast, it's pretty easy to miss out on songs that other folks think are commonplace. If someone told me they never heard "Go Crazy" I'd be surprised but obviously, I shouldn't be.

I still like COnglomerate rock.

• i didn't really read this thread, nor do i know if the title is based on sarcasm, but i like kelly clarkson. she has a strong voice.

i didn't really read this thread, nor do i know if the title is based on sarcasm, but i like kelly clarkson. she has a strong voice.

I'll say this much: I'm glad Kelly's coming into her own and shedding the American Idol packaging that she had stuck on her early on.

I'm also surprised to be happy to see Mariah Carey kicking ass if only because I think girl can sing unlike most of these R&B clones out right now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I dont see how you havent heard this before. I dont have cable either, but its on like every teen movie commercial, and pop radio station while im getting a haircut

Man, where do you get your hair cut?

SUSPECT GROOMING PRACTICES REVEALED

I haven't heard this song, either...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Lying ass liar.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Lying ass liar.

They don't play it at my barber shop.

• I'm a music critic but I work freelance. I'm not at a daily where I'd be assigned every major release every week. I pick and choose what I want to write about and that means I tend to be *disconnected* from everything save for my private mind garden.

Something like the Kelly Clarkson is some shit I would NEVER have offered to review (the CD I mean) and since the only radio I listen to is either NPR (80%) or hip-hop stations (20%), it's not like Kelly was getting mad play next to "Hyphy" and shit on KMEL.

Same goes for "My Humps": I've yet to hear this song on radio even though I know, from looking at record charts every week, that it's mega-hot. But I was never that curious to hear it given that, in general, I'm not checking for BEP.

Most importantly though? I'm a stay at home dad with an infant to take care of. You try that shit and see how "up" on anything you can stay.

'NUFF SAID.

Dude, I was just surprised you hadn't heard it. Consider your suburban mall pass unrevoked.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I still like COnglomerate rock.

SG

• I still like COnglomerate rock.

SG

Dude, I was just surprised you hadn't heard it. Consider your suburban mall pass unrevoked.

Man, all my passes are revoked. All I got left is my Soul Strut Pass.

• This song is SoulStrut approved: