Starblazers...and funk.

Tektonic_PlatesTektonic_Plates 100 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I used to watch this show when it was aired in America in the early 80's. I remember being pretty souped on this shit as a little lid, so I downloaded a bunch of episodes to rekindle some fond memories from my childhood. I could only find the japanese version, which is called "Space Battleship Yamoto", and was suprised at how primative the animation was. It was made in the 70's, and had a kind of "Speed Racer" feel to it. What struck me though, was how nice the incidental music was. On some Drama Themes shit. I wonder if anyone round here might have some background info on the background music fer this. Is it from some sound library? It certainly sounds like it.

Comments

• Hiroshi Miyagawa

He mostly did the music for anime & Japanese comedies in the 60s, but he also did the soundtrack to Godzilla associated film, Ghidorah, the Three Headed Dragon. Friend of mine is a Starblazers/Yamato nutjob.
    He has CDs from Japan of the original music. Including this one to be exact.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000007VYM/logbook/104-9596800-1923135

• Now THATS what I'm talking about! Domo arigato, Mista Idiotproof! Good Looks!

• Here's a funky bit off one of the soundtracks. I recorded the whole track, so theres vocals and sound effects besides the funky part:

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30T767JKEHSVZ1ZBXXFEJSJ5XP

I got tons of these... Some are definitely good, some are not. Here's a pic of the one the mp3 is from (this record is especially cool, because the dialog is all in english, which is rather strange for Japanese soundtracks):

Peace...
    FNM

• Man, that's just too cold!

Many thanks for that.

And yes, it's bugged that a japanese release like that would feature english dialogue.

It's been so long since I've seen an episode of "our Star Blazers" (well over 20 years) that I can't tell anymore if those are the actual voices from the US version or not.

Why wouldn't they be though, right?