Best live show of the year

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
A few good ones this year with the best being Gang of Four, The Melvins with Jello Biafra and Bloc Party. Dungen was pretty hot too.

Comments

• my top 5:

Sun Ra Arkestra leading the Mardi Gras parade in Lexington Kentucky
    Boredoms in Chicago
    Willie Nelson
    Noah Howard Trio
    Billy Bang/Joe Fonda/Barry Altschul

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Hands down these mafuckas:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    X at 9:30 Monday. Killer

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    co-sign Boredoms.

also the Brontzman Tentet.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Sun Ra Arkestra leading the Mardi Gras parade in Lexington Kentucky

how/why did i miss this?

• Sun Ra Arkestra leading the Mardi Gras parade in Lexington Kentucky

how/why did i miss this?

I dunno, but it was free and incredible. The parade was cool and all but everyone marched into the Victorian Square Atrium where they played a free set with people on 3 levels of balconies just dancing and going nuts. One of the greatest things I've ever seen. They played a $$$ show at The Dame after that but the free stuff was by far the best.

pictures:

• co-sign Boredoms.

No contest.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hands down these mafuckas:

- spidey

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Sun-ra arkestra in toronto
    Sharon jones dap in MTL
    Roots Manuva tore the house down (double dj/drum machine) sick shit

interesting: puppetmastaz (j-rocc dj),handsome boy (prince paul held it down)

seu jorge was ill too (mad percussionists)

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Sharon Jones x 2
    Half Pint
    Johnny Clarke

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sharon Jones x 2

Yes, without a doubt the best live action this year. Two scorching concerts in CPH. I only saw the one at Loppen. It's been a long time since I really worked up a sweat at a concert. No standing around, strictly getting down.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yes, without a doubt the best live action this year. No standing around, strictly getting down.

Hell yeah, huge cosign...also Queens of the Stone Age live in Prague...HipHoprelated it would be Dendemann and Foreign Beggars at HiPHoPKemp this year... and an honorable mention for Gwen Mccrae, who rocked it 2 weeks ago at my hometown, singing all her classics, some even toghether with her daughter...nooice!!!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Undoubtedly this.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/generationwhy/music/reviews/tsunami_benefit_05_rev/

Featuring Portishead, Massive Attack, Robert Plant, Damon Albarn, The Coral and Fuzz Against Junk. John Stapleton on the decks too.

• Hip hop related it was Masta Ace & Words and KRS & Busy Bee even though it was a bit tiresome to hear the same call / response all through the Teachers show "say real hip hop"... real hip hop?

Sharon Jones wins though. Theyre just great performers.

Dress

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Sharon Jones x 2

Can't remember how many times I saw them this year buy at least 2 or 3 of the gigs were classics - Southpaw, SOBs, or Madison Park on the hottest night of the year.

Big Daddy Kane more than killed it in Brower Park, BK, with guests Dana Dane and Daddy-O.

Also a couple of gigs at my girl's establishment were hot to def due to their last minute nature and the good vibes/sound:
    The Budos Band
    Green Milk From Planet Orange

I wish the Black Merda NY gig could have happened but that will have to wait till 06 I reckon. Monster.

And there's still 3 weeks left this year...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

i saw them on conan and i've been shocked at the love they get!! was that just an off performance cause that was pretty sad.

Gang Of Four
    OutHud

i saw them on conan and i've been shocked at the love they get!! was that just an off performance cause that was pretty sad.

It was way off. They missed their cues, and they had to totally re-edit the Sharon intro to make it fit the format. Plus they probably weren't drunk enough.

You cannot front on their real live shit though.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

It was way off. They missed their cues, and they had to totally re-edit the Sharon intro to make it fit the format. Plus they probably weren't drunk enough.

thanks for clearing that up...

i often wonder hwy bands even bother doing live appearances on shows like conan / letterman / leno and awards shows.. the sound is ALWAYS ASSSSSSS .. i know its alot of exposure but i can't remember the last time i saw a band under any of those circumstances not come off badly.

thanks for clearing that up...

i often wonder hwy bands even bother doing live appearances on shows like conan / letterman / leno and awards shows.. the sound is ALWAYS ASSSSSSS .. i know its alot of exposure but i can't remember the last time i saw a band under any of those circumstances not come off badly.

I guess it's a lot of exposure vs. sounding like ass to the minority who know/care.

At least it's not as bad as the instant loss of cred you'd get from appearing on the Carson Daily Show.

• binky griptight and the dee-kays, awesome live show, do these guys have a record in the works?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Sharon Jones
    Neko Case and Boyfriends
    Big Boi
    Split Lip Rayfield

Hatters beware:

I liked the Digable Planets show.

binky griptight and the dee-kays, awesome live show, do these guys have a record in the works?

I think there's a 45 or 2 coming soon. Plus the cover of Different Strokes would make a good flip. I dig his voice.

• show of the year for me was Pat Martino duo w/ Joey Calderazzo on piano.
    runner up, though, is Sharon Jones + Dapkings.
    Although, i can't remember the earlier part of the year so well, i'm probably forgetting some stuff.

• i'm probably going to get grilled for saying this ESPECIALLY on soulstrut, but one of my favorite live performances this year was Thievery's live show at the 9:30 club. By the end of the night, there wasn't one person not moving from their sounds. When they played "Warning Shots" at the end sung by Sleepy Wonder the place was completely destroyed.

let the grilling commence.

• Yes, without a doubt the best live action this year. No standing around, strictly getting down.

Hell yeah, huge cosign...also Queens of the Stone Age live in Prague...HipHoprelated it would be Dendemann and Foreign Beggars at HiPHoPKemp this year... and an honorable mention for Gwen Mccrae, who rocked it 2 weeks ago at my hometown, singing all her classics, some even toghether with her daughter...nooice!!!

to hiphop kemp! seeing masta ace, words and them in front of 15,000+ people was really nice. marc hype & jim dunloop there were also pretty sick...

other contestants: slum village, one self, ppp & once again: sharon jones.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    sharon jones, no question........they've gotten much tighter live, if that was even possible since they were dope back iin 2002 already.

feist too.........but I can sense the crescendo of booos for that choice.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    -Fantomas (9:30 club)

-Melt Bannana (the Blackcat)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    John Holt and Shinehead at Montreal Reggae Fest
    Bush League at cinecycle, Toronto

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    i'm probably going to get grilled for saying this ESPECIALLY on soulstrut, but one of my favorite live performances this year was Thievery's live show at the 9:30 club. By the end of the night, there wasn't one person not moving from their sounds. When they played "Warning Shots" at the end sung by Sleepy Wonder the place was completely destroyed.

let the grilling commence.

Thievery put on one of the worst show's I've ever seen. Aside from offensively bad music, the visuals were highly suspect on the "let's get down colonial style and ooh and ah over the weird and exotic natives". I remember I gave a far more detailed criticism some years ago and the sitar player from that show called me out on the board.

• I saw Kanye last nite. It was decent. The best part is when he stopped the show before "Gold Digger" and told the people in the VIP booths to turnn them shits off ("if you motherfuckers can afford the vip boxes you can afford to TIVO that shit).

A-Trak had some real dope DJ PYROTECHNICS and Kanye had some fly visuals/videos going on.

besides that is pretty much a dude rappin' on stage